Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online IT course

Options
  • 11-09-2007 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    Just looking for info if possible.
    I am a 33yr old barman who has had an interest in computers for a long while. I am looking to do an online course or 2 to try and get a cert or under my belt and maybe gain some employment down the road.
    The only course i have done was the ECDL a few years back which i passed easy enough.
    I would love to do IT support and was looking at the COMPTIa A+ IT Technician. Is this where i should start ?
    Also who would be the best to study with... i have read your others threads and they seem to go with Fas.
    All help would be great as i have been out of the "study circles" for quite a while and i would hate to make a fool of myself.

Appollo_10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

First off without sounding cheesy... fair play..

You can go the FAS route and it will help because they have experience of people coming from all different backgrounds doing re-training and such. Also they will fund 70% of the cost.

The CompTIA is a great start and will help you get into the business. You may need to supplement it along the way with the other certs (N+) and possibly look at doing the MS ones or similar. These will open some doors for you.

The A+ is listed here on FAS http://www.fas.ie/en/Employer/One+Step+Up/One+Step+Up+Programmes+Listing/IT/CompTIA+APlus+(2006+Objectives).htm

Details on the course content here http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 appollo_10

Thanks Ginger for the reply and more so for the encouragment.
    That course is exactly what i am looking for but i need to do it online.
    I am intending keep my job aswell as study at home by day.
    Any thoughts on that ?
    Appollo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You can do study at home with the books alone but this is generally recommended for people who work with the environment every day and are doing this to have the cert or learn a certain amount.

If you are coming from a completely different background like you say you are, i would be more inclined to say go for the FAS course and do it there because you will get the hands on, and experience in the kit. Learning online will mean you may have to get the kit yourself and play with it.

But as your job has unsocial hours, I doubt it would be feasible for you to get into the course for 9am especially if you are finishing at 2 or 3 in the morning.

I had a quick look around for online training courses and there are some but I cannot vouch for their accuracy or how well you will learn the stuff. Reskilling can be a nightmare.

I havent done any of the CompTIA stuff, maybe one of the regular posters here could tell you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm in the same boat as Ginger, I don't know an awful lot about online certification courses, but have you considered a more long-term approach? By that I mean the likes of Oscail (www.oscail.ie). They give a full DCU diploma or degree in Information Technology. The beauty of this course is that there are no formal classes - you study when suits you, I did it when I was working shift and it suited me perfectly.

The only thing is, it won't happen overnight - it can take up to 5 years to get the degree. Having said that, it is quite flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 appollo_10

Hi again,
    I have been scouting around and have come up with this online course.
    http://www.cmit.ie/it_distance_learning/microsoft_certified_desktop_technican.html

It' the type of desktop support i am looking to do because i am starting from scratch.
    What are your views on it ? Could i get a cheaper online course ?
    Appollo_10

• Advertisement
Advertisement