Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City UCD ... City are back

• 11-09-2007 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

City finally put some goals to the good play tonight and put College to the sword. Hopefully this is a start of a good run till season end. 2nd place is a real possibility.

John O'Flynn is playing well and Farrelly is a showing good form in spite of himself.

All we're missing is Darren Murphy in Central defence or instead of Colin Healy and we as good as anybody.

Just think of how close we could be. Draws with Bray, Galway and losing to Sligo & Bohs have cost us the title.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Just think of how close we could be. Draws with Bray, Galway and losing to Sligo & Bohs have cost us the title.

A lot of teams can say the same thing. If we had showed any fight whatsoever at the starty of the season we'd be well up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

great performance by us.. some of our football was outstanding.. flynny's first goal was brilliant, leon's two were class as well.. i've been nothing but impressed with flynny in the last few weeks, he's really stepped up to the plate since roy left for sunderland... take a bow son..

farelly was brilliant again.. and i've said this before, but if colin healy couldnt be arsed playing for the club he can **** right off.. he knows where the gate is.. darren murphy should be in that team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

glad to see leon score 2. he has been working very hard but hasnt had the rub of the green so far. hope he takes off from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Draws with Bray, Galway and losing to Sligo & Bohs have cost us the title.
    If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

By the way, the thread title.

City are back - where exactly? Fourth place. Well done indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Game in hand too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Too little too late unfortunately. For the 2nd season running the stupid dropped points at home will cost us the title.

Its such a shame as at least City play a nice brand of football unlike the league leaders who will be an embarrassment to the eL in the CLQs next July.

gimmick wrote:
    Its such a shame as at least City play a nice brand of football unlike the league leaders who will be an embarrassment to the eL in the CLQs next July.
    Unfortunately football is all about results, not the brand of football teams play.

I'm sure Drogheda fans couldn't care less about City's silky, flowing football while they are sitting on top of the league, while City are in Mid-table.

In this league, obviously, Drogheda's style of play is more suitable to gaining points and winning games.

I doubt if Doolin is worried about how his team comes by first place, if he can deliver a league title his job will be safe for another year.

Well history wont look too kind on Drogheda's title IMO.

At least Shels, Bohs and in 2005 Cork played some great football and will be remembered for it.

Well history wont look too kind on Drogheda's title IMO.
    Again, I'm sure Drogheda couldn't care.

It will say "2007 - Drogheda United" on the trophy, not "2007 - Drogheda United (but they played crap football)"

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=52

You'll need to scroll down this one a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_of_Ireland

I don't see any indication of the style of football played by the winners of the league in these historical records - do you?

St James' Gate won the title in 1921/22 - I wonder if they played pure flowing football, or played hoofball. Who knows, who cares?

Well I think most fans would disagree with you there.

History remembers the great teams and the great moments and records are just statistics.

Think about the great teams.

Man united '68
    Brazil 1970
    Holland 1978
    AC Milan 1990
    Cork City 2005;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Cork Village are where Cork Village should be, mid table.

They are a poorly run club who have had a couple of over-performing seasons and now their fans have gotten ahead of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

gimmick wrote:
    Too little too late unfortunately. For the 2nd season running the stupid dropped points at home will cost us the title.

you need to get a grip of yourself and get your head out of your ass, one victory playing good football does not make you a good team. I have seen plenty of cork matches this season and you were pretty **** for the majority of them.

you must be still bitter about the 2 times we beat you in cup finals because you try to put the boot into drogs any chance you get. I personally like to see EL teams do well in europe but after we lost to helsingbourgs, who were a very good side, all you could say was ****e like drogs are embarrasing the league and so on.

I think there is no shame in losing in europe to a far stronger side and we done ourselve proud with a great result in the home leg. I think more shame is brought to the league by clubs that are run badly and havent got finances in order and are just unprofessional in general than being beaten in a european match against a better team.

DesF wrote:
    Again, I'm sure Drogheda couldn't care.

It will say "2007 - Drogheda United" on the trophy, not "2007 - Drogheda United (but they played crap football)"

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=52

You'll need to scroll down this one a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_of_Ireland

I don't see any indication of the style of football played by the winners of the league in these historical records - do you?

St James' Gate won the title in 1921/22 - I wonder if they played pure flowing football, or played hoofball. Who knows, who cares?

your 100% right

when we win the league this year it will be the 1st time in our history and when i am out celebrating with my mates for the week after it i am not going to give 2 taughts to us drawing 1-1 with Galway or losing 1-0 at ucd. We will be talking about how brian Shelly is the best player in the league and how great robbo played this year and how much stronger we will be next season.

redzerdrog wrote:
    I think there is no shame in losing in europe to a far stronger side and we done ourselve proud with a great result in the home leg.

the problem there is that they shouldnt be a "far stronger side".. the muck savage football ye "play", well it played right into their hands didnt it?

the comment about poorly run sides, i won't even point out the irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

redzerdrog wrote:
    when we win the league this year it will be the 1st time in our history and when i am out celebrating with my mates for the week after it i am not going to give 2 taughts to us drawing 1-1 with Galway or losing 1-0 at ucd. We will be talking about how brian Shelly is the best player in the league and how great robbo played this year and how much stronger we will be next season.

Chickens eggs hatching? That planned celebration thing reminds me thats the LOI is rarely every won until the last day.

I hope you dont win it just to poke fun at you but i honestly cant see anyone else winning 7 of the remaining 8/9 games.

kdjac

redzerdrog wrote:
    I think more shame is brought to the league by clubs that are run badly and havent got finances in order and are just unprofessional in general than being beaten in a european match against a better team.

you were doing so well up till this point. drogs are the only club in the premier division run worse than cork village. and sligo are up.

what is the debt for this season alone? €1.25m? where are you playing next season? dalyer?

you were doing so well up till this point. drogs are the only club in the premier division run worse than cork village. and sligo are up.

what is the debt for this season alone? €1.25m? where are you playing next season? dalyer?

A rovers fan giving advice on how clubs should be run, whats next UCD fans on attendances?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    A rovers fan giving advice on how clubs should be run, whats next UCD fans on attendances?

kdjac

been there, removed the problem, now the best run club on the island. but you know all that.

KdjaCL wrote:
    A rovers fan giving advice on how clubs should be run, whats next UCD fans on attendances?.
    How about a Shels fan on Money Matters? :)
    been there, removed the problem, now the best run club on the island. but you know all that.
    :rolleyes:

We all know that Rovers had their debts wiped, because they had zero assets to pay them off. Got away scott free with paying a paltry sum to debtors, and are still, somehow, operational.

We also know that Rovers couldn't afford to build their own stadium, got a dig out from SDCC and are now whinging because another member of the community wants to use it.

Roar wrote:
    the problem there is that they shouldnt be a "far stronger side".. the muck savage football ye "play", well it played right into their hands didnt it?

the comment about poorly run sides, i won't even point out the irony

I was over at the away leg (i dont think streams were available here were they?) and they were a far superier team to us we never looked like scoring and couldnt get the ball whatsoever. i was very impressed with them and I think they will progress thru this round aswell. i think they are playing a dutch side call harenveen or something.

When we were over there the fans were telling Parma bid €2.5m for the left full i think and another player was going to udinese for €1.5 i dont know if either went thru but it shows what level these guys are at. Even the stadium was was far better than any EL ground, even united park;)

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    How about a Shels fan on Money Matters? :)

:rolleyes:

We all know that Rovers had their debts wiped, because they had zero assets to pay them off. Got away scott free with paying a paltry sum to debtors, and are still, somehow, operational.

We also know that Rovers couldn't afford to build their own stadium, got a dig out from SDCC and are now whinging because another member of the community wants to use it.

Oh the bitterness Des. :D

Amazing what with all that was written at the time of our perfectly legal examinership how you could get the facts so wrong, but anyway.

and our issue is that another member of the community has stated in court they dont plan on using it and have no tangible plans for the ground they want reduced by 8,000 seats that would cost €10m more. we have yet to recieve the dig out. again with the facts Des.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Chickens eggs hatching? That planned celebration thing reminds me thats the LOI is rarely every won until the last day.

I hope you dont win it just to poke fun at you but i honestly cant see anyone else winning 7 of the remaining 8/9 games.

kdjac

your right of course we dont have it won and i should not have said that I was on tilt:o . I just get fed up reading rubbish and slating drogs week in week out. we are top of the league and maybe that is just because everyone else is so poor but you can only beat what is infront of you. I was pointing out that I have never experienced my home town team win the league and if we do I sure as hell wont be saying oh no i am not going to celebrate we didnt play sexy football this season.

Oh the bitterness Des. :D
    Bitter about Rovers? Nah.
    Amazing what with all that was written at the time of our perfectly legal examinership how you could get the facts so wrong, but anyway.
    EWr, I didn't mention legality. All I said was that Rovers had major debts wiped out.

True or False?
    we have yet to recieve the dig out.
    Who is building the stadium?

And here, the thing about Thomas Davis was a wind up tbh. I think what they are doing is an absolute disgrace, and only serves to make me hate the Gah even more.

Really? Why are your players revolting against your manager? Why are they dropped then begged to come back?

kdjac

DesF wrote:
    Bitter about Rovers? Nah.

yes you are. you hate it that no-one hates you and we are still the bigger name.
    DesF wrote:
    Wr, I didn't mention legality. All I said was that Rovers had major debts wiped out.

True or False?

Not as major as you seem to think. The only creditor not to get most if not all was the revenue.

DesF wrote:
    Who is building the stadium?

No-one. Thats the problem.
    DesF wrote:
    And here, the thing about Thomas Davis was a wind up tbh. I think what they are doing is an absolute disgrace, and only serves to make me hate the Gah even more.

Good. But remember they are running up crippling debts, so with any luck they will go under as a result of this folly.

I couldnt tell ya what our debts are for this season i am not priveleged to that information but i cant see how the club could survive €1.25m debts but you obviously know much more than I do, so fill me in?

there was talk about playing in dundalk next season while we build our 10,000 seater stadium but i havent heard anything confirmed yet.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Really? Why are your players revolting against your manager? Why are they dropped then begged to come back?

kdjac

cough cough, Ndo?!?

amazing how stories gather legs. revolting? brilliant. begged to come back? as opposed to dropped and picked again. :D

keep them coming kdjac, fantastic stuff!

redzerdrog wrote:
    I couldnt tell ya what our debts are for this season i am not priveleged to that information but i cant see how the club could survive €1.25m debts but you obviously know much more than I do, so fill me in?

there was talk about playing in dundalk next season while we build our 10,000 seater stadium but i havent heard anything confirmed yet.

you arent priviliged? thats mad, because even ive seen the figures. :rolleyes:

your stadium is nowhere near 10,000 seats and nowhere near next season.

cough cough, Ndo?!?

amazing how stories gather legs. revolting? brilliant. begged to come back? as opposed to dropped and picked again. :D

keep them coming kdjac, fantastic stuff!

Clarke, Pender, Mc Gill, Duffy???

Question Scullys sanity leads to you being dropped loaned out and then when training with the u21s begged to come back. Ferguson also loves the guy. But hes a great manager who gets the best out of his players by training them hard even after he gave them holidays. Regardless of the fact they part time but train more than most full time teams.

kdjac

• Advertisement

you arent priviliged? thats mad, because even ive seen the figures. :rolleyes:

your stadium is nowhere near 10,000 seats and nowhere near next season.

Where did you see them, i would love to see this info? have you a link?

KdjaCL wrote:
    Clarke, Pender, Mc Gill, Duffy???

Question Scullys sanity leads to you being dropped loaned out and then when training with the u21s begged to come back. Ferguson also loves the guy. But hes a great manager who gets the best out of his players by training them hard even after he gave them holidays. Regardless of the fact they part time but train more than most full time teams.

kdjac

that would be clarke, pender and mcgill who are all involved in the first team and duffy who is on loan?

who are you talking about who has been "dropped loaned out and then when training with the u21s begged to come back"? or is it as i suspect, a load of the arse like the garbage you post on foot.ie?

scully has a part time side fitter than most full time setups and the league table reflects this. some players cant hack this pace and are released. stop the press.

redzerdrog wrote:
    Where did you see them, i would love to see this info? have you a link?

www.cro.ie or the drogs forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oh, a "Village" jibe from a nomad? How insightful :rolleyes:

As for the being badly run, I would wish you could have backed that up, because sonny boy, you know nothing. Sure City didnt go from strength to strength after the title win of 2005. Reason being was had more money went out we would now be another former Cork club having gone bust. The fact that Brian Lennox resisted going spending lots of money, putting all his eggs in one basket, in the vague hope of making a financial breakthrough in Europe shows his shrewdness, not his inability to run the club.

The fact of the matter is, Cork City, Drogheda (as much as I hate to say that), SPA, Galway and Bohs are about the only properly professionally run clubs behind the scenes in Ireland. Rovers think they are because of their debts being wiped out. Rovers are a club who will always dwell on the past becase thats all they have. Apart from a flimsy prsent and non existent future.

Drogs will win the league this season, and they will have done so by playing manure football. If thats what captures the imagination in Co Louth fair enough.

And bitter about 2 cup finals? What were they in again? :confused: Cant remember?

gimmick wrote:
    Oh, a "Village" jibe from a nomad? How insightful :rolleyes:
    It came from the Hammarby fans who were treated disgracefully by your club.

We rent a ground, you rent a ground. We are nomads, you are .....?
    gimmick wrote:
    As for the being badly run, I would wish you could have backed that up, because sonny boy, you know nothing. Sure City didnt go from strength to strength after the title win of 2005. Reason being was had more money went out we would now be another former Cork club having gone bust. The fact that Brian Lennox resisted going spending lots of money, putting all his eggs in one basket, in the vague hope of making a financial breakthrough in Europe shows his shrewdness, not his inability to run the club

you are a selling club who had a good season and are now back to your natural level. There is a middle ground between recklessness like Shels and Drogs and Cork refusing to even try and compete anymore. You have big crowds, you are paying token rent and not contributing to the improvements in Turnips Cross. Where is the money going?
    gimmick wrote:
    The fact of the matter is, Cork City, Drogheda (as much as I hate to say that), SPA, Galway and Bohs are about the only properly professionally run clubs behind the scenes in Ireland. Rovers think they are because of their debts being wiped out. Rovers are a club who will always dwell on the past becase thats all they have. Apart from a flimsy prsent and non existent future.

Look at the league table. We will be in Tallaght next season. Best young manager and young players in the league. I'd take that 'non-existant future' anytime.

The fact that you list Drogheda as well run proves you are either on a wind up or clueless about LoI ball.

We will be in Tallaght next season.
    lol

• Advertisement

that would be clarke, pender and mcgill who are all involved in the first team and duffy who is on loan?

Im betting you dont know what the bus incident was about, and im also betting that you dont know why Clarke was training with the u21s. Gonna also bet you dont know why the 5 players i named were loaned out dropped and placed on transfer list.

Thats what i love about the EL its always someones turn to feel better and then....the EL puts them back in their place.

kdjac

DesF wrote:
    lol

Dunno what your laughing about if they are, so are you :p

kdjac

DesF wrote:
    lol

please explain the laughter?

KdjaCL wrote:
    Im betting you dont know what the bus incident was about, and im also betting that you dont know why Clarke was training with the u21s. Gonna also bet you dont know why the 5 players i named were loaned out dropped and placed on transfer list.

Thats what i love about the EL its always someones turn to feel better and then....the EL puts them back in their place.

kdjac

duffy was already on loan when the bus incident took place.

again, facts are a pain in the arse when you hear stories in the pub, arent they ;)

duffy was already on loan when the bus incident took place.

again, facts are a pain in the arse when you hear stories in the pub, arent they ;)

Ahh avoiding the question , interesting Rovers logic.

Why where 3 players not allowed onto the team bus to waterford?

Why was Clarke training with the u21s?

Simplfied. As i only post garbage, please enlighten me as to what really happened.

kdjac

• Advertisement

they were dropped. whats the confusion?

you are making a mountain out of a molehill and not very well at that

they were dropped. whats the confusion?

you are making a mountain out of a molehill and not very well at that

You are not answering the question and doing a very good job of it.

Why were they dropped? hardly footballing reasons Clarke being one fo your best players an all.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    You are not answering the question and doing a very good job of it.

Why were they dropped? hardly footballing reasons Clarke being one fo your best players an all.

kdjac

Clarke has been a fringe player all season, behind Pender and Tyrell since the window.

You really are stuggling here.

Clarke has been a fringe player all season, behind Pender and Tyrell since the window.

You really are stuggling here.

According to your fans forum hes been one of your best players :confused: How many games does a fringe player play.

Im just gonna go with the fact your oneof the "in scully we trust" fans. Wonder what we would be like if we had such a great manager.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    According to your fans forum hes been one of your best players :confused: How many games does a fringe player play.

Im just gonna go with the fact your oneof the "in scully we trust" fans. Wonder what we would be like if we had such a great manager.

kdjac

he was a revelation last year but has struggled to make the step up a division.

you are reading far too much into this.

you are reading far too much into this.

or maybe im not?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    or maybe im not?

kdjac

then get to the point.

He dropped a few players, something johnny mc couldnt do with ndo.....

then get to the point.

ehh i didnt i asked why he dropped them, you didnt answer as you didnt know.

The Ndo situation was simple, he got "injured" Kerr said no to Ndos dr giving him an injection that would have had him back playing in 3 weeks, so he was out for 8 weeks without the injection.*

The club felt he was lying and told him they would terminate his contract if he didnt play, he has played every game since.

* Kerr sent him to Sport medicial council ireland a member of them is on our board. They said he was fit.

kdjac

redzerdrog wrote:
    I was over at the away leg (i dont think streams were available here were they?) and they were a far superier team to us we never looked like scoring and couldnt get the ball whatsoever. i was very impressed with them and I think they will progress thru this round aswell. i think they are playing a dutch side call harenveen or something.

well we've beaten arguably better swedish oppostion recently (malmo and djurgardens), so for the team to be winning this league to whimper out of the competition against an average swedish side, makes you wonder about their actual quality, footballing ability, and tactical nous of their manager then, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is a results driven business ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement