Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Table pc in car, voltage?

• 11-09-2007 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Sorry if i posted in the wrong place.

I've got a Compaq tablet pc, basically functions as a laptop. I want to be able to charge it in the car. The "laptop" takes an input of 18.5 volts and the nearest converter i can find has an output of 18 volts. I wonder if that half of a volt will make a difference or could the internal laptop PSU burn out eventually under the constrain?

Cheerz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

pyrogenx wrote:
    Sorry if i posted in the wrong place.

I've got a Compaq tablet pc, basically functions as a laptop. I want to be able to charge it in the car. The "laptop" takes an input of 18.5 volts and the nearest converter i can find has an output of 18 volts. I wonder if that half of a volt will make a difference or could the internal laptop PSU burn out eventually under the constrain?

Cheerz

I wouldn't chance it. Also, I think the current is more important than the voltage, so if the current rating is much higher than the tablet can handle, you will most likely do some damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It doesn't work like that tom. The device will only take as much current as it needs. As long as the charger can supply the required current or greater its fine

as for the voltage, i wouldn't risk it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Hav you tried using an inverter, I got a Cheap one on Ebay with USB also for 11 squid and works perfectly with my laptop,kettle etc ;) and oh the little tv aswell in case I need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Flying wrote:
    Hav you tried using an inverter, I got a Cheap one on Ebay with USB also for 11 squid and works perfectly with my laptop,kettle etc ;) and oh the little tv aswell in case I need it
    yeah i was going to recommend one of those but they usually don't supply much current. But if its enough for your laptop it should do his tablet. Make sure to check the current rating of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Argos do them from €40+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It doesn't work like that tom. The device will only take as much current as it needs. As long as the charger can supply the required current or greater its fine

Well there you go. You learn something new every day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

I did consider using an inverter, but there is couple of problems with that. The original charger for the tablet isn't working anymore and i don't think i can provide the inverter with enough constant amps, as i've already got a lot power being used in the car by other devices. Its probably incignificant, but there quite a bit of power wasted by bringing up from 12V to 230V, then the tablet charger brings it back down again to 18.5V.

An inverter would be pretty cool though to power something like a full PC in the car =]

Advertisement