Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

loud cars

Options
  • 11-09-2007 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

think its time to stop giving out about loud exhausts on cars
    give boy racers and girl racers a break
    they spend thousands on their cars just to be told by the NCT centres they cant have tinted windows or modifed exhausts on their cars
    these cars enthusiasts are not down the pub of a saturday night getting drunk then going out and driving home, instead they are at a car meet polishing the cars.
    everyone gives out about them when they hear a car crash on tv or radio and someone is dead, but here is a taught its not these cars modifed you see in a hedge or crushed on the side of the road.
    so why are people trying to stop them by doing stupid things with NCTS.
    if anyone is intersted im trying to stop these new NCT rules from coming in so any help would be great. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I laugh everytime I see a modified car, they look so stupid, the more money spent, the worst they look. Don't get me started on the actual drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

DonJose wrote:
    I laugh everytime I see a modified car, they look so stupid, the more money spent, the worst they look. Don't get me started on the actual drivers...

Bit harsh there, I agree with you to some extent, the cars do tend to look ridiculous more often than not, but each to their own. The OP is right about the accidents etc, rarely do you see a modified car in a hedge or in bits after an accident on the news. They usually don't drink they spend so much on their cars (not that drink driving is the only cause of accidents).

On the exhausts, if they are performance related then fine but if they are just to make noise then fair enough get them removed. If noise is a problem then target mopeds, they are some loud pieces of junk ;)

Dunno if anyone heard the lad on the radio last thursday (about 9am) who was supposed to be reprsenting modified car enthusiasts but he did nothing to help. He was pretty much saying they put loud exhausts on to get people to look at him in his car!!

Stupid idea for a law/rule whatever. If you complain about the noise.....get a life, and a set of earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

lafors wrote:
    Bit harsh there, I agree with you to some extent, the cars do tend to look ridiculous more often than not, but each to their own.
    Its like the boy racers don't know when to stop adding things to the car. Another thing I laugh at are the sun screens, especially the ones with KENWOOD or PIONEER, do these companies sponser the boy racers or what!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

DonJose wrote:
    Its like the boy racers don't know when to stop adding things to the car. Another thing I laugh at are the sun screens, especially the ones with KENWOOD or PIONEER, do these companies sponser the boy racers or what!!!

Best sunscreen is

MICKO on one side and MARY on the other (just random names)

:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not a fan of needlessly loud anything tbh, including cars.

I honestly cannot see why the public and/or the authorities should give boy racers/modders a break.

My view is a large percentage of this group of drivers commit insurance fraud daily, by not disclosing mods. If they did what they should and made full disclosure, quite a few I'd imagine would have their cover cancelled, or made so expensive it'd become uneconomic.

As things are the ordinary motorist effectively discounts these uninsured modders, and I'd prefer that not to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My view is a large percentage of this group of drivers commit insurance fraud daily, by not disclosing mods. If they did what they should and made full disclosure, quite a few I'd imagine would have their cover cancelled, or made so expensive it'd become uneconomic.
    Modified exhaust adds less than €40 to the annual premium. Similar for modified suspension.
    If these guys are spending €1000's on their cars / alloys / body kits, I'd guess they are also spending the extra few bucks to insure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

DonJose wrote:

Depends on what you mean by modified! I drive a highly modified car at the weekends, and whenever I feel like a change from my perfectly standard Focus.

The car in question has had
    a) A larger engine
    b) Modified camshaft
    c) Aftermarket exhaust
    d) Aftermarket manifold
    c) Bigger carb
    d) Uprated brakes all round

It still looks like a perfectly standard Ford Capri though with a Black Vinyl roof and a rather fetching shade of blue!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

stevec wrote:
    Modified exhaust adds less than €40 to the annual premium. Similar for modified suspension.
    If these guys are spending €1000's on their cars / alloys / body kits, I'd guess they are also spending the extra few bucks to insure them.

I'd guess they aren't.

How much for uprated engines be it chipped or big turbo, rollcages, spoilers, and racing brakes? How much extra for purely cosmetic things that make a car more attractive to a theif - ICE, alloys, fancy paint?

We'll never know the extent of this as by nature these things are not declared.

p.s. What about the ads we all read "For sale - Glanza 1.3 turbo - chipped to 200bhp, but shown as 1.3 on log book"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

spanky900 wrote:
    think its time to stop giving out about loud exhausts on cars
    give boy racers and girl racers a break
    they spend thousands on their cars just to be told by the NCT centres they cant have tinted windows or modifed exhausts on their cars
    these cars enthusiasts are not down the pub of a saturday night getting drunk then going out and driving home, instead they are at a car meet polishing the cars.
    everyone gives out about them when they hear a car crash on tv or radio and someone is dead, but here is a taught its not these cars modifed you see in a hedge or crushed on the side of the road.
    so why are people trying to stop them by doing stupid things with NCTS.
    if anyone is intersted im trying to stop these new NCT rules from coming in so any help would be great. :)

hope the NCT does actually stop this crap, those exhausts are so stupid and loud.. when i see cars like that i just laugh... so funny seeing a big exhaust on a 1.0L car..

only a fool would spend thousands throwing stuff on a car thats already loosing value....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

The book should be thrown at those knackers......the majority of them drive like utter scum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Tinted windows are grand, its the amount of tint thats the problem, so dark that you cant see out the bloody windows is ridiculous.

Modified exhaust for increased performance is fine on a Capri or a Celica or something, but when you see it on a micra or a punto and he's racing past you at 30mph with a noise that would rattle the teeth out of your head thats stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

And how much extra performance would one of these exhausts give to a Celica?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

craichoe wrote:
    but when you see it on a micra or a punto and he's racing past you at 30mph with a noise that would rattle the teeth out of your head thats stupid.
    LOL and the moped that he's overtaking is making even more noise..:p

tuxy wrote:
    And how much extra performance would one of these exhausts give to a Celica?
    Up to 10bhp - normally combined with a cold air induction kit.
    The induction system alone makes as much noise as the exhaust so banning loud exhausts alone will make little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Let them keep the noisy exhausts, just don't drive in residential areas after 11:30 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you don't see the government going after hells angels bikers for having very very loub bikes.... these are a lot worse than any car exhaust I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

As much as the gov would love to go to war on us there's enough of us to go to war with them.

I'm not a fan of needlessly loud anything tbh, including cars.

I honestly cannot see why the public and/or the authorities should give boy racers/modders a break.

Because a lot of old people moan, old people who never had the money for cars or parts. These old people are the voters therefore they get what they want.

Some do, in fairness if the mods added were actually priced fairly that problem would be eliminated and I see in another thread some people do get propper prices shame it doesn't go for all of us. If I bought a 1.4 civic and added an induction kit and exhaust system why should my car become uninsurable? for the whole 20bhp you'll gain it just doesn't make sense at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

spanky900 wrote:
    I really can't get behind this line that "modifiers spend all their money on their cars, so how could they possibly drink". It gets trotted out frequently as if to give moral leverage to the motoring otakus amongst us, were their Micawber-esque financial outlays symbolic of some form of unconditional love for a 12 year old Japanese coupe.

This is not the way to Bowdlerise your hobby.

I've only ever met one modder who didn't drink. And she was the kind of person was probably just complying with a court order by not drinking.

layke wrote:
    Because a lot of old people moan, old people who never had the money for cars or parts. These old people are the voters therefore they get what they want. What utter rubbish! We all have one vote each btw. I think your reference to "old people" is in bad taste btw.

Some do, in fairness if the mods added were actually priced fairly that problem would be eliminated and I see in another thread some people do get propper prices shame it doesn't go for all of us. If I bought a 1.4 civic and added an induction kit and exhaust system why should my car become uninsurable? for the whole 20bhp you'll gain it just doesn't make sense at all.

Fairly? the parts or the insurance hike? Insurance rates are set by insurers based on amongst other things their claims experience. It doesn't matter whether a modder thinks they are fair or not. They are what they are.

To me a big exhaust, induction kit, chipping etc. signify a desire for extra performance and therefore speed. Faster cars cost more to insure, which is quite fair. 20bhp on top of a standard maybe 80bhp is a big gain btw.

My rebuttal.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote:
    I've only ever met one modder who didn't drink. And she was the kind of person was probably just complying with a court order by not drinking.

Nothing wrong with drinking. Most people get completely sh1tfaced every so often. Only problem is when the go driving too.

If you mod cars (even by putting on Halfrauds crap) you probably like cars. if you like cars you probably like driving. If you like driving you probably won't want to loose your licence.

A lotof us drink but if any of the guys I know admited to drinking and driving the others would give out **** to him. Ergo, they/we don't so it. Can't speak for everyone but it seems to be the general trend in the circles I came from.

As for Henry, you're right everyone after 18 has a vote. Thing is I didn't give a hoot about politics until I got a little bit older. If you look at the average age of the voters you'll see senior citizens are the most frequent voters.

If you honestly think an extra 20bhp should mean your insurance should jump 1k because the car is moddified when you can just go out and buy a car just as powerful for less insurance? If that's your thinking please tell me how it's fair? Or even reflects these magic figures that the insurance companies don't show the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

what_car wrote:
    hope the NCT does actually stop this crap, those exhausts are so stupid and loud.. when i see cars like that i just laugh... so funny seeing a big exhaust on a 1.0L car..

only a fool would spend thousands throwing stuff on a car thats already loosing value....

It wont make a difference if the NCT does try and stop it as all they'll do is pop on a stock exhaust when there sending it in for the NCT and then pop the moddified back on after words. They're already doing it with the cat.

I'd also like to point out a lot of us just put it through the NCT and pass just fine with our mods. Unless the NCT test centres print exactly what each part of the car does I don't see how a Guard will tell the difference as to what has been done to it.

layke wrote:
    As for Henry, you're right everyone after 18 has a vote. Thing is I didn't give a hoot about politics until I got a little bit older.

Don't complain about the laws that are passed or the people who pass them then!

layke wrote:
    If you honestly think an extra 20bhp should mean your insurance should jump 1k because the car is moddified when you can just go out and buy a car just as powerful for less insurance? If that's your thinking please tell me how it's fair? Or even reflects these magic figures that the insurance companies don't show the public?

As pointed out, modifications can illustrate a persons state of mind.

layke wrote:
    As for Henry, you're right everyone after 18 has a vote. Thing is I didn't give a hoot about politics until I got a little bit older. If you look at the average age of the voters you'll see senior citizens are the most frequent voters.

So what about the voters? If the youngest voters don't bother it's their own fault surely?

I never said insurance should jump €1k. That's up to the individual insurer. If you're not happy with what you are being quoted shop around. If all the prices are high due to mods then you must simply cough up. Insurers don't have to tell you the basis of their premium claculations. They have no obligation to do so.

The modified car scene gets lots of negative press, and more than some of it is entirely justified and fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

This thread have devolved as usual into one group of people generalizing another group.

Exhausts of XdB (whatever the EU "norm" is, cant recall and not googling) should be banned, modified or not. I have a highly modified, high BHP car, but to look at and just as important, listen to, you wouldnt think its quite the bullet train it really is.

This was 100% intentional but to be totally honest I didnt do it because Im the most socially responsible individual, I did it this was as I find noisily, gaudy cars distasteful. And because a segment of "car enthusiasts" aren't thinking of their neighbors and other road users we need a law and specifically enforcement of a dB limit.

Its nothing to do with coming down hard on one group and giving breaks to others based on age, income etc etc.

Good call Matt. Very fair.

How much does a 400bhp car cost to insure btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Good call Matt. Very fair.

How much does a 400bhp car cost to insure btw?

EUR1920 with XS Direct (and their usual 4k excess) all declared. Basically a EUR900 premium on what they usually charge. Which is "ok" I guess.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote:
    EUR1920 with XS Direct (and their usual 4k excess) all declared. Basically a EUR900 premium on what they usually charge. Which is "ok" I guess.

Not too bad actually.

Advertisement