Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

loud cars

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

furtzy wrote:
    Any update on the rolling road output to prove the 20% power increase on your Civic?.....not hassling you just very interested in this

Tbh mate it was back in 2000. Long time ago witha diff engine then it runs now. I don't have graphs, charts or anything of the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

layke wrote:
    Tbh mate it was back in 2000. Long time ago witha diff engine then it runs now. I don't have graphs, charts or anything of the like.

fair nuff...just interested to see where the figure of 108 came from i.e actual or just what the induction kit manufacturer claimed. Just interest in the engineering element of it

But anyway back on the original topic...loud exhausts. Think most people will agree that a noise limit law is fair. Noise pollution is an issue that needs to be taken seriously by everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

layke wrote:
    Kieth, Jf Cole did it to a 96 Civic, it was a 93 Civic rocker cover.

/edit here's a lookalike pic (have no idea if it's the same as mentioned above)

sohcvtec.jpg

aghh right, so he swapped the sohc vtec rocker cover, i thought you meant the performance vtec rocker cover!!!

off topic as stated, sorry!!!

anyway, as said above, not against banning exhausts, bt when you see a 3" backbox on a 1 litr micra its annoying!!!

i do agree with the db limits though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

furtzy wrote:
    Any update on the rolling road output to prove the 20% power increase on your Civic?.....not hassling you just very interested in this

hi furtzy, i dont know if jeff is a member here, but i reakon he would deffo still have a copy of the printout.

i rember the day he got the dyno run done, if not then all he has to do is ring martin tracey with his old reg number as martin in westward saves all his printouts im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

kceire wrote:
    hi furtzy, i dont know if jeff is a member here, but i reakon he would deffo still have a copy of the printout.

i rember the day he got the dyno run done, if not then all he has to do is ring martin tracey with his old reg number as martin in westward saves all his printouts im sure.

Hi there. Wouldn't mind seeing that along a list of what was done/added to acheive it. Also what it cost!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

If mods make no difference to the way you drive, why do them?

The things that stop you are "brakes" ;)

I agree a track car should be just that, and not a road car with bells and whistles.

p.s. How much did your insurance go up with the mods?

im dyslexic i make many mistakes

the insurance went up from 1000 to 1400 . i know track cars are ment for just track but it is nice to be able to just drive it to the track instead of trailoring it over .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

If mods make no difference to the way you drive, why do them?

The things that stop you are "brakes" ;)

I agree a track car should be just that, and not a road car with bells and whistles.

p.s. How much did your insurance go up with the mods?

the insurance went up from 1000 to 1400 . i know track cars are ment for just track but it is nice to be able to just drive it to the track instead of trailoring it over . this law will affect people with engine transplants and classic car ownership. if any of you were at the american car show ye will of seen how loud these cars can get and not one of them is a boy racer thats for sure .

if they keep the law to something that is quite achieveable 100db and get rid of the ear of the garda

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

elexes wrote:

the insurance went up from 1000 to 1400 . i know track cars are ment for just track but it is nice to be able to just drive it to the track instead of trailoring it over .

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

spanky900 wrote:
    the are fitted with a 1.3lt engine but does not say on most log books its a turbo
    AFAIK only the engine size is listed in the log book, there's never any mention of wether the car is turbocharged or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The registration cert has the following:
    (P.1) engine capacity (cm3)
    (P.2) engine max net power (kw)
    (Q) power/weight ratio (kw/kg)

These figures should indicate turbo vs n/a engine

Although on my cert (jap import - and no it's not a glanza or similar shytbucket) the figures are gobbledegook.
    e.g. (P.2)= 5555555kw (7450121HP - even the space shuttle couldn't manage that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

furtzy wrote:
    Hi there. Wouldn't mind seeing that along a list of what was done/added to acheive it. Also what it cost!!

He's not. But i'll see if I can get the info for you. Although from speaking to him about it I don't think he has the info anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Matt Simis wrote:
    Lol, they all mention how they are recorded incorrectly in the "log book"!

they're not recorded incorrectly, as has been said, the Logbook only states engine capacity and power, it does not state if the engine is either NA or forced induction, so technically the garages selling these cars are breaking no laws, the scrotes who buy and insure them without declaring the full spec are however breaking the law.

as for loud exhausts? there are arguments for and against, I say a dB rating relative to engine capacity would be an ok way to start

Personally I have no interest in cars that are so sound insulated that you can't hear the engine, thats all a bit to conservitave for me, but different strokes for different folks eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

stevec wrote:
    The registration cert has the following:
    (P.1) engine capacity (cm3)
    (P.2) engine max net power (kw)
    (Q) power/weight ratio (kw/kg)

These figures should indicate turbo vs n/a engine

Although on my cert (jap import - and no it's not a glanza or similar shytbucket) the figures are gobbledegook.
    e.g. (P.2)= 5555555kw (7450121HP - even the space shuttle couldn't manage that)

Mine is likewise for the power,altho it does state type r on my reg cert ive seen other type r's without but more of a vrt dodge than insurance dodge i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

spanky900 wrote: »
    think its time to stop giving out about loud exhausts on cars
    give boy racers and girl racers a break
    they spend thousands on their cars just to be told by the NCT centres they cant have tinted windows or modifed exhausts on their cars
    these cars enthusiasts are not down the pub of a saturday night getting drunk then going out and driving home, instead they are at a car meet polishing the cars.
    everyone gives out about them when they hear a car crash on tv or radio and someone is dead, but here is a taught its not these cars modifed you see in a hedge or crushed on the side of the road.
    so why are people trying to stop them by doing stupid things with NCTS.
    if anyone is intersted im trying to stop these new NCT rules from coming in so any help would be great. :)

Way to go kid the more money you spend on your car the more money I make as I sell all accessories for modified cars keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I dont understand why Civic owned spends 1000's on their cars when they could instead be spending that money on a more powerful car worthy of a body kit instead of the generic civic going around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

siralfalot wrote: »
    they're not recorded incorrectly, as has been said, the Logbook only states engine capacity and power, it does not state if the engine is either NA or forced induction, so technically the garages selling these cars are breaking no laws, the scrotes who buy and insure them without declaring the full spec are however breaking the law.

yes, but should the tax book not say Starlet GT, but its changed to Starlet SR, GL, L, etc.
    This is what i thought they were doing? it might not be for starlets though.

Also, it is possible for a 1.4 civic to make 108bhp, a young fella i know civic made 104bhp with nothing major done to it. Civic engine might be very restricted from the factory, most 1.4 cars would require alot of head work to make over 100bhp, but the civic engine must be quite strong. I can understand the disbelieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tinted windows are a pain. its like driving behind a Van. Ruins the visibility for other drivers. Loud exhausts I don't mind. As long as they are not driving flat out while delivering pizza's at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Why put a loud exhaust on any car?

Well if you are a serious car enthusiast who wants to extract the maximum performance from your car then you will choose the best exhaust to allow the engine breathe.
    So does the loudest equate to the best performance?

Nope.

The same type of car enthusiast with the seriously loud exhaust usually spends a lot on alloy wheels and body kits. Do these aid the performance of the car?

Nope.

In general these same people spend loads on ICE. Do they do this because they are music lovers as well as serious car enthusiasts?

Nope.

So what are we left with? A corolla/civic/corsa/etc etc that is tarted up to look and sound “cool” but performs in most cases less that standard. This is not the result of the work of a real car enthusiast.

Most of these mods are “look at me” mods. Loud sound systems. Loud exhausts.loud body kits and unfortunately (in some cases) loud driving styles.

This ”modding scene” is a misguided fashion statement for some and an excuse for blatant antisocial behaviour for the others. I suspect (and hope) that the majority of boy racer type modders are merely image conscious, misguided youths who will grow up to be real car enthusiasts one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ahh, zombie thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Boyracers... like the poor, they'll always be with us.

Some will grow up and mature, others will grow up and never mature or find the tree with their name on it.

They only exist due to loopholes in legislation.

Oilrig. PS been there & done that. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement