Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APC Galway

Options
  • 11-09-2007 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭

Anyone here work in APC Galway or know anyone that does? Ive been offered a position there and want to check since I see they let 250 people go last year and just do RnD there now.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I worked there on student placement during the summer. So I know a lot of people there. What's your job and what do you want to know?
    Thay let a lot of manufacturing go, because that is moved from Ireland. They are moving to new buildings soon too, so the premises will be new. Down teh road from there old premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I don't work there but I'd imagine there will be no manufacturing in the new building. Hard to know what the long term plan will be. The building they are moving into is open Plan and will be leased. Is there anything keeping them here anymore? i.e. IDA Grants, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I worked for APC for seven years and the RnD is awesome. Their products are brilliant and very innotive. They were recently taken over by Group Schneider which will in the log run mean even more opportunities. If you do well and depending on which product range you will be working with, you will have the opportunity do a lot of travelling to either their other plant in Denmark or the few others across the USA.

I will be honest, it isnt the easiest company to work for but then is any company.

Good luck in your decision!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, manufacturing is all gone. Might be a few design gys around still.
    Excellent hash browns.
    >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks lads for the info. James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jepper

jamesd wrote: »
    Anyone here work in APC Galway or know anyone that does? Ive been offered a position there and want to check since I see they let 250 people go last year and just do RnD there now.
    Hi James,

Are you at APC now? They recently posted an open position in Lotus Notes development. I have already applied for the job and I am going to have an interview within a few days. How do you feel at the company? Do you think APC's position is secure in Ireland?
    Thanks in advance,

Jepper

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jepper wrote: »
    Hi James,

Are you at APC now? They recently posted an open position in Lotus Notes development. I have already applied for the job and I am going to have an interview within a few days. How do you feel at the company? Do you think APC's position is secure in Ireland?
    Thanks in advance,

Jepper

How recently? The story I heard a couple of weeks ago is that they, like SAP and various other large companies, have a hiring freeze in place. Something to do with world economic uncertainty.

Someone I know started there are a few weeks ago, but he got in before the freeze.

To be honest, I don't think you can say anywhere is secure at the moment. There's just too much that's uncertain worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jepper

JustMary wrote: »
    How recently? The story I heard a couple of weeks ago is that they, like SAP and various other large companies, have a hiring freeze in place. Something to do with world economic uncertainty.

Someone I know started there are a few weeks ago, but he got in before the freeze.

To be honest, I don't think you can say anywhere is secure at the moment. There's just too much that's uncertain worldwide.

The recruitment company called me last week about the position and the interview with APC HR department is organized for today. Originally, they attempted to hire one or two contractors for 6 months but they are now offering only one permanent position, saying it will cost them less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Najéte

Good morning,

I am a student(in International trade) and I work at the same time for APC-MGE in France(Montbonnot).
    I am supposed to do a mission of 2 months,from June to July at APC Galway.
    I would like to know if someone could give me advices on how to look for a room to rent(in a familiy mainly),not far from APC and not far also from supermarkets and so on.Of course,I would like a safe place.:)
    Also, how do public transport are organized in Galway?

Thanks a lot!
    Najéte.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bon jour Najéte
    You should use www.daft.ie or http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifiedlistresults/Accommodation+%26amp%3B+Property/Accommodation+to+let/City+Centre/0 to find a place.
    It would be best to look on the east side of the city as this is closer to APC.

It's close to town and not very far away from APC, walking would be around 30 mins, give or take. You can also cycle but beware the Galway traffic :)

There are buses in the morning but I'm not sure which ones go out there, someone else will know better.
    galwaycityp8s10.gif

• Advertisement

A bus goes from the bus station at around 8am to apc every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Ballybrit, Wellpark, Tuam Road are good options. Walking distance to APC and reasonbly close to supermarkets

Thank you very much all for your answers!
    Is there a website with the public transport hours?How does the bus cost?

A colleague adviced me to go to a bed and breakfast for the first week and then to see once in Galway which place could be good to rent.
    Do you think that I can find "safe" places not too expensive?
    Of course my desire is to rent a room in a family in order to practice english a lot.

Thanks a lot!

I got a monthly ticket for the first month I worked there. Use the bus as much as you want for like 44 euro or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Najéte wrote: »
    Thank you very much all for your answers!
    Is there a website with the public transport hours?How does the bus cost?

A colleague adviced me to go to a bed and breakfast for the first week and then to see once in Galway which place could be good to rent.
    Do you think that I can find "safe" places not too expensive?
    Of course my desire is to rent a room in a family in order to practice english a lot.

Yes there is a bus website: http://www.buseireann.ie/bubble.php?id=59#galway However the "factory runs", which is what the direct bus is are not listed on it! There are three buses each morning. As someone said, one of them leaves from the back of the Railway Station just after 8am every morning. (The bus may be labelled Compaq, or Hewlett-Packard, or APC, or sometimes it's not even labelled at all!). To get information about the other times, you need to go into the bus-station and ask for a copy of the printed timetable.

Individual bus-rides are E1.60. Monthly tickets were E50, but will have gone up, I'm not sure how much they are now but guess E60. There's a weekly ticket too.

I think the BnB-for-the-first week advice is very good: don't accept any accommodation until you've actually seen it. Something that sounds good by email may not look so good in person.

Because you're only wanting two months, and because you want a family, you may find it hard to get a room through Daft or the newspaper. Most of the ones are advertised are in flats, and are looking for someone to stay longer. Maybe someone reading here would like to have a boarder for two months, and will send you a PM. Or maybe someone working at APC might like to have you?

Also, one big trap: If you look at the map, the Briarhill/Doughiska/Roscam area looks very close to Ballybrit, where APC is. However there are not good public transport links between this area and Ballybrit. The number 3 bus goes out to Briarhill. However unless you want to walk (and cross a pretty challenging roundabout on foot, not recommended), this is not a good area to be in: when the number 3 bus goes back to town it does a big loop into another suburb, and then finally drops you a good 10-15 minutes walk from APC, and on the wrong side of the nasty roundabout.

Good luck!

:)
    HI,

I would like to thank u all for your advices!It helps me a lot.
    Of course I think I'll take for the first week a BnB and then look for a room.I think it's difficult to find it for just 2 months...:(
    I don't know how I can diffuse my application for a room to rent???
    Perhaps I 'll wait until being at work and then ask my colleagues if there's someone who can help me...
    Or is there places no too expansive for a short period?

All advices regarding the way of life,the city and so on are welcome!

Thank you very much!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I'd say you will easily get a room for 2 months. There is so many spots in the advertiser that someone will gladly take 2 months rent off you. I certainly would have when I had rooms for rent a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

did u ever take that job jamesd? What is happening in APC Galway now? Is it still going?

Anyone here actually work there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

mike kelly wrote: »
    did u ever take that job jamesd? What is happening in APC Galway now? Is it still going?

No I never took it, got offered another job elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

mike kelly wrote: »

Mike, I work in APC, not a lot of hiring going on right now, same as most places. Still 300 working here, no manufacturing for over a year now, moved premises. Main departments: Software RnD, IT, Tech support, Order Mgt, Finance and Supply chain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement