Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briar Hill Shopping Centre

Options
  • 11-09-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

so it is nearing completion!
    i know there is a Dunnes Stores or Tesco or some supermarket chain but does anyone who what other retail units are going to be there?

i can see traffic being a nightmare out there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

The traffic is already pretty bad in that area, and this is going to make it the mother and father of all bottlenecks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

THere's a DUnnes there for sure.
    Met a few people working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

As long as there's somewhere nice to eat for a change.
    Not like that mingin table talk with it's crazy prices and spar with Madame Hitler behind the counter lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't think you can beat the Headford Road roundabout as a bottleneck..it is the main gateway for the whole of west galway.
    There are other ways to avoid the Briarhill roundabout but not the lollipop dominated one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

spar with Madame Hitler behind the counter lol.

bu'ermayonaise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Galway already has horrendous problems with congestion as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I think its opening on next Tuesday. It will be a bottleneck alright.
    Went for a spin up to the new Dunnes in Knocknacarra. Good Traffic Management in it.................like ****. Nearly got lost coming out of it when there was baout 6 cars in it. Nearly ended in a Basement somewhere. B&Q opening on 25th Oct too I think.

There is a Shaws opening somewhere too. Sorry for going off topic but we are use to it around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

As long as there's somewhere nice to eat for a change.
    Not like that mingin table talk with it's crazy prices and spar with Madame Hitler behind the counter lol.

Try the meal they serve in the bar at The Clayton hotel. Really good food, good value too

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Drove into that New Knocknacarra retail park myself slightly confusing traffic management alright.. went down the basement and couldnt get over the size of the underground car park its absolutely huge, no wonder it took them so long. dissapointed with the size of Dunnes seems small enough... the other units dont seem to be nearly ready... does any1 know will anything open with Dunnes in Briarhill next tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is the Dunnes in Knocknacarra open yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

MattKid wrote:
    Try the meal they serve in the bar at The Clayton hotel. Really good food, good value too
    You just cant beat Bethlehem on the Monivea Road - down toward Windsor Motors. The best pasta and pizza in town and its open from early morning to late at night.

'cptr

MattKid wrote:

I've been there twice and thought the food was terrible and the staff worse..
    It's nearly up there with Catus Jacks on my list of places to avoid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

In answer to the original question. Dunnes is opening there on tuesday and there is a newsagent opening too. I think all of the other units will take a while longer to get set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

We need another Dunnes like we need cryptosporidium. What we really need is a better transport infrastructure and better playgrounds for our kids.

Dunnes, if you are reading this - feck off for yourselves, and bring Tesco with ye.

'cptr

anyone know who is going in the other units in Briahill, the letting agents say there is only a small amount of units left.. of course that could be all b*****s

Just passed it there at lunch and see they've put in Traffic Lights about 20 meters past the Roundabout before the Clayton !!! what were they thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Are there not enough Dunnes in Galway yet?? It seems like every corner I turn I see one. I'm more of a Tesco girl myself. So where's this shopping centre ye're talking about?? I'm new to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

out towards Ballybrit and Doughiska near the Clayton Hotel and the Race Course.

You can get either the number 3 or 9 bus out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

chilly wrote:
    Is the Dunnes in Knocknacarra open yet?

September 25th according to the poster on te bus stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

The Dunnes store in briarhill opens tomorrow. I live behind it in Doughiska, so it's within walking distance of me. They have given vouchers to everyone on these estates to get discounts off your shopping.

I don't know if anyone else has rented any of the other units yet; there are so many empty units in Galway now.

Anyone seen the new 'North Point' retail centre on the Tuam Road? it's totally complete but has NO tenants!

They are still trying to rent the new units that are at the back of the statoil petrol station and Hotel in terryland. Add to which, the hotel the otherside of the ford dealership looks to be closed.

Also, a good number of the retail units in Liosban are still empty.

I really think they have overdone it now in galway - rental prices for units are going to dive due to oversupply.

The old video shop in Doughiska next to the chinese is still looking for a buyer.

• Advertisement

Popped into the new Dunnes in Briarhill today,, nothin too exciting... traffic management is a bloody joke, had to park in the underground car park and it took twenty minutes sitting in a jam trying to just get up outta the ground, the place has a poor layout and all the other units are small and still to let... anyways rant over... It does have a really nice restaurant in it with great Pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Bonzodog wrote:
    Anyone seen the new 'North Point' retail centre on the Tuam Road? it's totally complete but has NO tenants

Land of Leather are moving in there.
    Agree with your point in general though.
    Landlords are pricing their units out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

In Dunnes Briarhill at lunchtime also. Nice fresh looking supermarket and cafe upstairs looks ok. Traffic is a nightmare.

Traffic was backed up from exit onto road behind Clayton all the way down to underground carpark. Reason for this is most of the traffic leaving was trying to turn right towards roundabout. Traffic lights needed at exit - not sure if this will solve much either. It'll make an already busy roundabout a lot worse at peak times.

Advertisement