Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on how mods are selected.

Options
  • 11-09-2007 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

I know that every forum works differently so I was wondering how mods are selected here? Is it a democratic process or do the current smods just say "I like the cut of that persons jib, you hired!" ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The major requirement is to have no life whatsoever.

An interest in a specific field, with an ability to contribute helpfully to said field also helps.

Or you could just blow an Cmod. That's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Terry wrote:
    The major requirement is to have no life whatsoever.

An interest in a specific field, with an ability to contribute helpfully to said field also helps.

Or you could just blow an Cmod. That's what I did.

Which option did you choose Terry? :P

Also, thanks :D.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know that every forum works differently so I was wondering how mods are selected here? Is it a democratic process or do the current smods just say "I like the cut of that persons jib, you hired!" ?

Normally a poster who shows an interest in a particular forum will be recommend, sometimes s/he is suggested by a retiring mod.
    Sometimes a person is recommend by fellow mods.
    The final decision is made by an Admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If a mod is needed for a forum, the existing mods of that forum or admins will be on the lookout for a consistently helpful, non-muppetty poster in that forum.

For a new forum, the person that suggested that forum often gets picked - as long as s/he's not blatently looking to become a mod by suggesting the forum. Or else an existing mod deemed suitable for the job will get that mods position also.

Also see the Amp test

The amp test?

It looks like only about 3 of those questions are serious. Anyone want a tin-foil hat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Back in the day, it was a matter of a new forum being created and a couple of people sticking their hands up to volunteer. Bear in mind that there were only about 3-4000 registered members, so probably only a couple of hundred active users.
    The admins then decided if they liked the cut of that guy's gib based on his past behaviour and made him/her mod.

Of course as boards got bigger, being a mod became something that some wanted to achieve and a running joke when forums got created was that anyone who put themselves forward to mod was instantly excluded from the job. People would mention "I think X would be good for that", and the admins again would decide. It was probably a form of meritocracy.

As boards once more continued to grow, the volume of users grew so that it was tough for boards.ie regulars to know enough about people to recommend them for mod and even tougher for admins to know about a person's character. So it evolved into what we have now, where existing moderators will recommend a helpful member of their micro-community.

Ultimately, the admins still make the decision. From what I've seen, if nobody is recommended for moderating the forum, they will often choose an existing mod in the same area (e.g. If a new "Sport" forum is created, a mod from another sports forum may be selected).

So because boards is so big each forum is concidered a seperate entity in these sort of matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

So because boards is so big each forum is concidered a seperate entity in these sort of matters?

Yes, pretty much. Most forums are considered to be micro-communities within the greater boards.ie community. Individual forum policies and charters are generally decided upon by consensus within these communities. The admins have the final say, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's nothing formal in place. However it is accepted that many people have a specific set of forums which they visit and many forums have developed into a micro-community. In these cases, it just makes sense to listen to what the regulars of that forum want instead of trying to listen to everyone.

cornbb wrote:
    Yes, pretty much. Most forums are considered to be micro-communities within the greater boards.ie community. Individual forum policies and charters are generally decided upon by consensus within these communities. The admins have the final say, of course.

Which means that as long as a person does no pee off the admin they could become the mod of any forum as long as their conduct is good.

Thanks, very informative :). Maybe this thread should be stickied or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Big brown envelope is all i will say.

Anti wrote:

Such as what bertie didn't receive? Would it be a no interest loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Anti wrote:
    ye i seem to remember something about if you want to be a mod to sign up a paying member of boards.ie and then pay 4 times the anual fee and you are given modship, you can buy admin ship but i have no idea what you would need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

User45701 wrote:
    you can buy admin ship but i have no idea what you would need for that

anal virginity

User45701 wrote:
    ye i seem to remember something about if you want to be a mod to sign up a paying member of boards.ie and then pay 4 times the anual fee and you are given modship, you can buy admin ship but i have no idea what you would need for that

Nah, buying a modship is idiotic. Just wait and be elected by your peers. :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

well i doubt money would sway any admin, perhaps a zip folder with 100,000 never before seen pictures of cats. they would get a good year of enjoyment out of that one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Anti wrote:

User45701 wrote:

No-one said there was money in the envelope.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was selected by the gods themselfs!
    I don't even want to talk about what the SMods do to get there jobs ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cabaal wrote:
    I don't even want to talk about what the SMods do to get there jobs ;)

You're on thin ice there buddy. Walk away. Now.

If you've ever seen The Running Man, then it's exactly like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In BGRH we had a beer drinking competition to select our mod. After three days we finally had a mod. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I put on my hardest Northern accent and said to the admins "Ah know where ye live".

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote:
    I put on my hardest Northern accent and said to the admins "Ah know where ye live".
    was it the green skirt you were wearing when you said this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

We select mods through the ancient art of "Soggy Biscuit".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ah, the Junior Cert mod says it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Asok wrote:
    All a question of taste, then?

/ducks

Asok wrote:

There is no winner in soggy biscuit. Just losers without any rich teas left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

No, you can still eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Matriarchy tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I went on holidays once and came back to find I'd been made a mod.

Advertisement