Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on how mods are selected.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Plenty of crackle but we're waiting.

Waiting on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ibid wrote:
    Oh come on Sonnenblumen. You've never been treated with anything but respect on Investments & Markets. I've never been treated with anything but respect on Politics, or on Legal Discussion, or most other forums I post on. You're just pissed off that you had a rough ride on Feedback recently. If you're not, if the mods here genuinely upset you, join the other 4 million Irish people who aren't members and don't use the site.

Some fair points Ibid, but you must accept that some mods are well push the envelop way too far, there are many incidents when other posters have sought redress only to be ridiculed by mods snapping in a pack mentality. Some seek pleasure in others efforts to get clarity. Being a mod would appear to some be a licence to insult.

And no, I will not back down from some ignorant bullying and if that means taking a ban so be it.

The fundamental flaw with boards mods is despite all the rules etc, nothing ever appears to be done about Mods stepping over the line. And yes may be the 4 mio others are right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Some fair points Ibid, but you must accept that some mods are well push the envelop way too far, there are many incidents when other posters have sought redress only to be ridiculed by mods snapping in a pack mentality. Some seek pleasure in others efforts to get clarity.
    I agree Feedback goes to far sometimes. But contrary to popular belief, imho, it's not a moderator thing. You'll see regular posters and even newbs having a laugh at a ridiculous "I only said the mod was a c*nt!" threads. Hell, you could have joined in the fun if you hadn't, in my opinion, gone about it the wrong way entirely. Yes, there's a pack mentality where idiots are roasted and sometimes the lines between idiot and genuine complaint get lost in the huzzah, but let me address going over the line in a minute.
    Being a mod would appear to some be a licence to insult.
    It's not. Feedback has become Thunderdome-esque for idiots and it's, in some regards, a free for all - it's not just mods. But when an admin is around, mods are not spared from the big ban stick. Mods have been banned from Feedback. A couple of months ago, Rozie started a thread here and at least two (though five rings a bell) mods were banned for abuse.
    And no, I will not back down from some ignorant bullying and if that means taking a ban so be it.
    You might think that's honourable but it's not as much as you might think. I know it's a mantra here, but this is a private site. If Cloud wants to ban Cork, that's his prerogative. If the community want Feedback to be a slaughter house, well assuming the admins give a little lee-way, that's the way it will be. It's a private party in someone's house, you don't complain about their behaviour and not look pretty idiotic.
    The fundamental flaw with boards mods is despite all the rules etc, nothing ever appears to be done about Mods stepping over the line.
    That's just wrong. Note in my original post to you I didn't say I had always been treated fairly. I had a run-in with a mod of the TCD forum about a year ago where he banned me. I made a thread, I did it according to the etiquette of the community (i.e. politely) and the issue was resolved. The mod got a stern warning and resigned shortly after. Last week an AH mod realised he made a mistake and apologised. Two mods were sitebanned permanently a couple of months ago from bad behaviour. A month or so before that, a mod of DKIT (or something) was demodded. Nothing may appear to be done about mods, but that's because you're not looking in the right places.
    And yes may be the 4 mio others are right?
    Well not really, it's a private party, not attempting to welcome everyone. But there are thousands, literally thousands, of people who really enjoy this site and log on at least every week. Thousands more browse. It's a good party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

there are many incidents when other posters have sought redress only to be ridiculed by mods snapping in a pack mentality.
    This would be the idiots who complain in a forum marked "This is for FEEDBACK. If you have a query, complaint or need help, use the HELPDESK."?

Despite which, when complaints have had an ounce of sense they have been given an airing even if they are in the wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ibid, many thanks for your response, and will bear your points in mind. All in all refreshing to have a clear exchange of views without all the hyperbole that seems to railroad threads in Feedback.

I only wish there were more like you. Anyways, thanks for the feedback Ibid, you're exceptional in an otherwise unexceptional group.

Hopefully more will follow.

• Advertisement

I only wish there were more like you. Anyways, thanks for the feedback Ibid, you're exceptional in an otherwise unexceptional group.
    I'm not an exceptional mod. I'm an average run-of-the-mill mod. Take my word on that and you might see things differently. You might even start acting differently, too.

I'm not an exceptional mod. I'm an average run-of-the-mill mod. Take my word on that and you might see things differently. You might even start acting differently, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So good, he said it twice!

BuffyBot wrote:
    So good, he said it twice!
    That post is possessed. Not only did I only click once (they posted within 30 seconds of each other because I was listening to music at the time and as such I had a marker) but after I tried to delete one it stayed there :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Some fair points Ibid, but you must accept that some mods are well push the envelop way too far, there are many incidents when other posters have sought redress only to be ridiculed by mods snapping in a pack mentality. Some seek pleasure in others efforts to get clarity. Being a mod would appear to some be a licence to insult.

The fundamental flaw with boards mods is despite all the rules etc, nothing ever appears to be done about Mods stepping over the line. And yes may be the 4 mio others are right?

Do you know how many mods there are on boards? Have you been abused or seen abuse by them all? If not then you are guilty of using sweeping generalisations to overstate your point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

amp wrote:
    Do you know how many mods there are on boards?

So how many are there ? Is there a stats page somewhere ? I would be interested to know how many there are of each stripe , Mods Smods Admins etc. (I know its OT but you have me curious now )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So how many are there ? Is there a stats page somewhere ? I would be interested to know how many there are of each stripe , Mods Smods Admins etc. (I know its OT but you have me curious now )

Yep there is a page with a list of all the mods/admins but im not gonna make it public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ah common, I mean who would use that kind of information against them............... harassing................. threatening...................... sending naked pic's.............................. wondering what Tar would do if.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a page which lists all distinct moderators. For reasons of boards.ie performance, I'm not posting it here.

But I dumped the list into excel, and got 422.

Remove the 12 CMods, 9 Smods and 5 Admins and you have 396 Moderators.

Does that total include HMods and AMods?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

seamus wrote:
    That sure is one bucketfull of sh<$* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Myth wrote:
    Does that total include HMods and AMods?
    Smashey = Mod & AMod. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nothing ever appears to be done about Mods stepping over the line.

And that's where you are so totally wrong. Quite a few people have been de-modded due to various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

seamus wrote:
    There is a page which lists all distinct moderators. For reasons of boards.ie performance, I'm not posting it here.

But I dumped the list into excel, and got 422.

That's all I wanted to know ! Cheers !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i heard that when you reach a level 12 SMod you get a 200 HP bonus and the ability to cast ban potions in only 1 click!

• Advertisement
Advertisement