Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgently need to repair Windows

• 11-09-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

The problem started on my parents home computer when I was returning to college last night and I'm trying to walk them through over the phone. For some reason when they turn on the computer they keep getting the message that windows apologises for the inconvenience and gives the safe mode options. When they try the safe mode options it reboots and straight after the BIOS check the same message pops up. I got them to boot from the XP Home CD but I don't want to reinstall windows as it will format the hard drive. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something obvious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

use the repair windows option when booting from the cd, it wont delete any doccuments or data, it simply copys over the base install files. Some programs might need to be reinstalled. But no real damage.

Also, might be worth telling them to reset the bios. But this will mean opening up the pc. And either finding the cmos jumper ( should be marked on the board, or in the manual ) or just removing the small 1€ sized round batter for a efw mins and booting up again. when booting, have them tap f8 to make sure it boots into the windows options.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reidyg

Thanks anti, but I have tried that but they don't get a repair option on the CD. The only option is to reinstall. Is there any way of bringing up this option off the XP CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Use this link,

http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

It will walk your parents through the repair options when booting from the cd.

Thanks Anti, looks like I'll have to Fax it.

Doesn't look good Anti. When they brought up the recovery console, windows did not exist in the C: drive. When I asked them to dir it an error about directory enumeration occurred. The volume of the hard drive is apparently empty. How can the whole volume disappear after a reboot with out any apparent hardware changes. The only thing I can think of that might trigger something like this is the Diskeeper Pro program, but I've had it on my laptop for ages with out any problems. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

reidyg wrote:
    Doesn't look good Anti. When they brought up the recovery console, windows did not exist in the C: drive. When I asked them to dir it an error about directory enumeration occurred. The volume of the hard drive is apparently empty. How can the whole volume disappear after a reboot with out any apparent hardware changes. The only thing I can think of that might trigger something like this is the Diskeeper Pro program, but I've had it on my laptop for ages with out any problems. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    This happened me before after pausing a defrag. Liost everything. Data was probably still there but partition table was not in place. It may be worth using a live CD, such as Ubuntu Linux, to try and recover data.

Advertisement