Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IwW 5th Anniversary Tour

• 11-09-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

Many people may not realise that Ireland's biggest promotion, Irish Whip Wrestling, is now five years old. Started in 2002, IwW has performed in front of tens of thousands of fans over the course of dozens upon dozens of shows in all four corners of the country.

We'd like to thank all of our fans for supporting us over the past five years and hope to retain your support for the next five too.

For full information on our history-making, internationally star-studded Fifth Anniversary Tour, featuring the likes of Kid Kash, Tracy Smothers, El Generico and stars from Dragon Gate (where we look to give back to all of the fans who have made these five years so enjoyable for everyone on the IwW team), check out the Irish promotions sticky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

leggo wrote:
    Many people may not realise that Ireland's biggest promotion, Irish Whip Wrestling, is now five years old.

And how would they ever find out when you haven't updated your OWN website in like 3 months!!!???? It really does scream amateur hour boys in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Ouch! Harsh, but at the same time, fair.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Have to get to the show in Stillorgan!! Bit of El Generico..class. Hopefully there is only a few kids there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Will certainly go out of my way to check out El Generico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Have to get to the show in Stillorgan!! Bit of El Generico..class. Hopefully there is only a few kids there.

Be warned its actually stillorgan/blackrock near dundrum!
    Im not taking the piss i went out there for a show,the directions on the clubs site is wrong to :eek:

If anyone needs directions give us a shout,i might even end up going to the show myself!

• Advertisement

I have a very rough idea, where it is. Are tickets on sale at the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I'm there is Generico brings Steen along.

Any big names who are there are going to be jobbed out though. It's not fun watching Red Vinny beating someone class from Dragon Gate.

Will it be possible to get some pictures and autographs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there will be, either before/during or after the show. The three or four IWW events i have been to, this has always been the case. Kid Kash stayed for ages talking to fans in Balbriggan in January

Ah crap, yeah Bryan(Warren) was telling me about that. He said he would ring me, or something when he found out who would be on the card...sadly he never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

if anyone in IWW is reading this, guys please please please have some sort of railing in place around the ring so the kiddies dont swarm around the ring banging it and bothering the wrestlers for autographs during start middle and end of a match

really annoys and bugs me tbh

Cheers

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Send Tracy Smothers out for the first match and have him threaten to whip any kids that step out of line. This is a guy who wrestled a bear, the kids would be wise not to mess with him!

Yes there are ALWAYS tickets available on the doors of iww events!
    And yes there does be an intermission where photos can be taken and autographs requested!!
    Also as someone said the wrestlers do stay back and sign stuff and take pictures.
    Kash especially is brilliant for this and doesn't charge and is genuine and friendly with people!

Agreed I've never been to a show, but on tv it looks 'hella' annoying.

yeah but is it not up to the kids parents/guardians to keep em under control?
    I mean at any social event if a child is let lose he/she will go mad regardless of barriers/railings/etc,etc.Plus there are people making the kids sit down and as i said before it would kill some of the atmosphere putting barriers up!
    Don't know how,look out for mad man Manson's and ballymun bruisers entrance :)

What REALLY pisses me of is the Muppet's throwing bottles and paper into the ring,short of having a net up its just basic bad manners on parents letting the kids do it!

jeffk wrote:
    What REALLY pisses me of is the Muppet's throwing bottles and paper into the ring,short of having a net up its just basic bad manners on parents letting the kids do it!

There was a good event a few years ago where someone threw sausages and rashers around. That was funny cos it was original. Never seen people throw bottles at a show

Fozzy wrote:
    There was a good event a few years ago where someone threw sausages and rashers around. That was funny cos it was original. Never seen people throw bottles at a show

:D did they throw a roll in to complete the set??
    yeah plastic bottles and the same people doing it would be the ones to moan if IWW tried to ban them!

yeah but is it not up to the kids parents/guardians to keep em under control?

TBH i think half of them are there to get a claim in if little jimmy is hurt, i dont think the railing system would work in all venues, but in waterford it certainly would, the ring is in one part of the venue and in the other the merchandise and autograph table

What really annoyed me is during the cima and dragon kid matches in waterford, you had these little ****s going upto the wrestlers, slapping them on the back and asking for autographs during the matches

Shin

shinzon wrote:
    TBH i think half of them are there to get a claim in if little jimmy is hurt, i dont think the railing system would work in all venues, but in waterford it certainly would, the ring is in one part of the venue and in the other the merchandise and autograph table

What really annoyed me is during the cima and dragon kid matches in waterford, you had these little ****s going upto the wrestlers, slapping them on the back and asking for autographs during the matches

Shin

Ah yeah you can see it now if little jimmy bangs his mouth of the barrier next minute bang parents sure iww!
    Ive never been to the forum ive only seen pictures and the dvd,so cant comment on barriers at that venue!
    But overall I wouldn’t like them.I mean if they come in they have to be far back to give wrestlers a chance to do dives/wrestle outside.Then people will moan they are far away!

Yeah I seen dragon kid and he looked shocked and was probably like wtf!

jeffk wrote:
    Ah yeah you can see it now if little jimmy bangs his mouth of the barrier next minute bang parents sure iww!
    Ive never been to the forum ive only seen pictures and the dvd,so cant comment on barriers at that venue!
    But overall I wouldn’t like them.I mean if they come in they have to be far back to give wrestlers a chance to do dives/wrestle outside.Then people will moan they are far away!

Yeah I seen dragon kid and he looked shocked and was probably like wtf!

Erm, barriers work without hinderence in 90% of wrestling shows around the world.

• Advertisement

I know that but im saying some people will moan and/or the kids will moan!Then in turn you have people not going.
    We all know over here we are more relaxed and people are used to no barries at iww shows.
    Also i remeber this came up before and i said there what if a kid cant see over it?
    Plus its an added expense and hassle iww dont need,nothing has ever happened as far as i know.Just need people to control THEIR kids!

jeffk wrote:
    I know that but im saying some people will moan and/or the kids will moan!Then in turn you have people not going.
    We all know over here we are more relaxed and people are used to no barries at iww shows.
    Also i remeber this came up before and i said there what if a kid cant see over it?
    Plus its an added expense and hassle iww dont need,nothing has ever happened as far as i know.Just need people to control THEIR kids!

I can't imagine a single person moaning. It could only make the show better, giving the wrestlers space and the show a better presentation. I personally don't think its an expense IwW needs, but I can't see how using one would be in any way detrimental to the card.

Fozzy wrote:

That was the show at the SFX the week after Eddie died, i remember the 10 bell salute at the beginning of the show. Fairly decent show as well if i remember correctly. Although i remember two scrawny pasty English dudes that bored the hell out of me, B-Guy and G-Man or something like that. They were at the bottom of the card and it wasn't that offensive.

VR!

jeffk wrote:

It's not added expense, it's an investment. You can see through the barriers, they don't have to be solid.

I agree, parents/guardians do need to control their kids. But they DON'T and that is the problem.

Hell even a few years back NWA Ireland had plastic-chain type guardrails, not exactly secure, but they were effective. They weren't crossed! The barriers were effective to say the least and even when the likes of Fergal Devitt doing plancha's over the top rails, none of the spectators ever got bumped.

So it can be easily done.
    VR!

That was the show at the SFX the week after Eddie died, i remember the 10 bell salute at the beginning of the show. Fairly decent show as well if i remember correctly. Although i remember two scrawny pasty English dudes that bored the hell out of me, B-Guy and G-Man or something like that. They were at the bottom of the card and it wasn't that offensive.

Oh yeah, that was a fun show. The night of the "where's your briefcase?!" chant!

Fozzy wrote:
    Oh yeah, that was a fun show. The night of the "where's your briefcase?!" chant!

Wasn't that also the debut of the "She's got herpes" chant for Zero's and Bruisers female valet? That same chant got repeated viciously in Waterford the following year for Jetta.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

There could be an issue with floor space if they brought in guard rails. If they just had some kind of rope or chain-link around the first row and got the security to do their jobs and keep the kids behind it, I'm sure everyone would enjoy the show a little more.

Agreed. As long as there's SOMETHING keeping the brats away from the ring, then it's all good.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Wasn't that also the debut of the "She's got herpes" chant for Zero's and Bruisers female valet?

VR!

Me & my mate actually started that chat at the SFX, and Zero & Bruiser came over to us talking smack in our face!! Funny times!!!

• Advertisement

"She's got herpes" chant

VR!
    Surely one of they many chants lifted from ECW and repeated ad nauseum at indy shows to this very day?

ok if there HAD to be railings of some form those plastic poles and chain links would be a great idea

Yes it is an original ecw,chant like most of the wrestling chants nowadays

And what is your point? That nothing is original anymore? Well duh, movies are blatant copies of previous generations. Music certainly is. Comedians rip off each others material on a weekly basis.

But just for you, i'll re-iterate. It was the debut of that chant in that partular promotion.

Happy now?
    VR!

wasnt me that raised the ecw chant,i just said that yes it came from there and that a lot of chants used now are variations of ecw chants to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Being a big fan of the original ECW, of course thats where i heard the chant!!! I wasnt claming to have made it up myself!!

jeffk wrote:
    ok if there HAD to be railings of some form those plastic poles and chain links would be a great idea

But that's just it. There is no *if*, there *does* have to be. If it's making the shows less enjoyable, and it obviously is if people are complaining about it. Then it is a problem.

Also from a legal standpoint, it's there so if the parent of "little jimmy" does try to sue, they don't have a leg to stand on.

As i said, it's not an expense, it's an investment.
    VR!

• Advertisement

lol a lot of confusing posters and posts tonight

Ok a investment,what happens if iww need to up prices to cover this investment and maybe extra security?
    Will people still go?

And what is your point? That nothing is original anymore? Well duh, movies are blatant copies of previous generations. Music certainly is. Comedians rip off each others material on a weekly basis.

But just for you, i'll re-iterate. It was the debut of that chant in that partular promotion.

Happy now?
    VR!

I wasn't trying to be a dick my man, just your use of the word debut was a little vague, especially for a stickler for the little details like yourself!;) No offence meant.

And on the subject, i detest the majority of chants that the ECW crowd spawned ESPECIALLY "you ****ed up!" God i hate that one.

Depends. Asking the fans to pay for their own security is a bit much in some peoples eyes.

On the other hand, IWW tickets have been pretty much the same price for the past five years, so a slight increase should be acceptable. But at the same time, those rails don't exactly cost the earth either.

And you know it.
    VR!

flahavaj wrote:
    I wasn't trying to be a dick my man, just your use of the word debut was a little vague, especially for a stickler for the little details like yourself!;) No offence meant.

No offence taken dude, just a bit tired is all :)
    VR!

flahavaj wrote:

And on the subject, i detest the majority of chants that the ECW crowd spawned ESPECIALLY "you ****ed up!" God i hate that one.

Ah C`mon now,like when someone holds up a belt wrong or falls over a rope thats funny and worthy of it!
    Now if you nearly kill yourself doing a mad spot,i tend to feel bad and hope the wrestlers ok and not chant it!

Yes that is true they havent gone up that much(five euro in the year and 5 months im going).
    I suppose those rails aint dear,just trying to get extra people for security could cost!
    A family section is an idea,where kids of a certain age and parents are sat and that way its more controlled.Rather than having kids from ALL over desending on the ring/talent

• Advertisement

I'm with flahavaj on this to be honest. I remember at the Supershow in 05 in the SFX, It was one of Bam's bigger matches, and he blew his knee out on his ring entrance over the top rope. He got a big "You ****ed up!" chant, and unfairly.

If you find that funny, then see a shrink or something. The guy was probably nervous as hell as it was, blowing his knee out probably didn't help, but what good is adding insult to injury gonna do? Make an insecure dick feel a bit better about himself and sleep better at night?

Meh, whatever works.
    VR!

jeffk wrote:
    Ah C`mon now,like when someone holds up a belt wrong or falls over a rope thats funny and worthy of it!
    Now if you nearly kill yourself doing a mad spot,i tend to feel bad and hope the wrestlers ok and not chant it!

Meh its just so overdone these days the humour has long since passed me by. I've no problem with a funny chant IF it doesn't start to distract the audience's attention from the actual reason they're at the event, which is to enjoy the wrestling. There's NOTHING worse than a guy who's sole intention in turning up at a show is to get himself over and make sure everyone knows how much he knows about "the biz." Sometimes I long for the days when we weren't all so smart and we cheered the good guys and booed the heels and generally just got into the spirit of things.

so you read lance storms latest fsm column?

I have to agree i do miss some of the old days and kayfabe but when i think about it now the guys i like now are MUCH better wrestlers.
    I mean i was a hogan mark,now i cant stand him,maybe kayfabe helped me see what he truly was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Just to answer a few queries:

1) IwW encourages maximum fan interaction and, as such, we make the wrestlers as accessible to the fans as we possibly can. Ideally we would have wrestlers come out at intermission and after shows, sign autographs and take photos with fans for free, however if this is ever not the case (for example, if a wrestler charges for autographs etc) it is at the discretion of the wrestler themselves, not IwW.

These shows will be no different, and anyone who has attended IwW shows with Kid Kash or Tracy Smothers performing in the past know that they are incredibly accessible and always willing to spend time with the IwW fans.

2) We understand completely people's points of views about the use of railings and those who will remember our shows in the SFX Theatre will remember the usage of such railings then. However, when booking a smaller venue, even one with the capacity of The Forum, such measures could prove a difficulty when it comes to fire safety regulations and whatnot. Again though, we always take full precautions to ensure both the health & safety, comfort and enjoyment of our fans at shows.

3) IwW strongly discourages its fans from throwing any objects at the wrestlers or around the ringside area. I'm sure you are all familiar with how dangerous of a sport professional wrestling can be without the wrestlers having to deal with outside obstructions interfering in their matches. In addition to this, it is also a severe hazard to fellow fans at ringside and IwW takes a very strong view in dealing with these matters.

4) As far as security goes, most of the complaints of this nature are with regards to The Forum (namely the most recent show there, Global Impact). In terms of The Forum, part of the contract upon booking the venue is that they supply security there. IwW and The Forum enjoy a very healthy working relationship and we always look to improve this in every aspect. We assure our fans that all possible measures will be done to ensure improvements in this field for any further shows to be held there.

well said leggo thats cleared it up for people i hope?

OK how many people plan on going to one or more of these events?
    A lot of you have talked about the first show in the nba,have you people kept going to iww shows?
    Or will you just come out to support iww for this massive 5th anniversary tour??

Um, jeffk, don't preach to us! You've only been going for the last year or so, some of us have been going since 2002. So quit trying to be an IWW smark.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There's no point in starting an argument over this. IwW massively appreciates any fan's dedication to see one of our events and hopes that they always feel as if they have their money's worth. If someone is not attending our events, then we pride ourselves on consistently bettering our product until we convince people otherwise.

We believe this mantra is working well as 2007 has been our most consistently solid year as far as crowd attendance is concerned as we've held several sellout shows.

But again, we only look to get bigger and better and hope that our fans will agree when it's all said and done we have hopefully continued to do so with this tour!

Well it's definitely a strong set of dates for this tour covering the country. Best of luck to IWW during the tour. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well i for one have always got my moneys worth and more from an iww show :) Crowd interaction at IWW shows is one of the things that has always caught me

And i will be there again for the dublin shows in october, a night on the town with some of the iww lads/lasses tomorrow night first though ;)

2) We understand completely people's points of views about the use of railings and those who will remember our shows in the SFX Theatre will remember the usage of such railings then. However, when booking a smaller venue, even one with the capacity of The Forum, such measures could prove a difficulty when it comes to fire safety regulations and whatnot. Again though, we always take full precautions to ensure both the health & safety, comfort and enjoyment of our fans at shows.

I understand completely about health and safety regulations, always comes first, but to me having no barriers is a barrier in itself for the wrestlers, they have to be constantly aware of who and whats moving outside the ring, which must be a big distraction, even if you just had the poles with interlinked chains on them it might discourage Little jimmy from running all over the place and disturbing not only the wrestlers but the paying public.

I consider waterford to be a more mature wrestling clientele and therefore the discomfort of losing a few feet between us and the ring would be welcome if it would stop the bloody annoyances and we could enjoy the show more, youd still have an ass in the seat every 18 inches as the saying goes

Shin

• Advertisement
Advertisement