Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan (eamo) wishes up stuff

Options
  • 11-09-2007 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single9183

Ireland set to surpass EU-broadband average

11.09.2007 - With 16.5pc penetration, Ireland is closing in on the EU-25’s 18.1pc average for broadband per capita and should surpass it by the end of the year, the Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources Eamon Ryan said yesterday.
    Ryan said he is also working on a policy paper on Next Generation networks, and said he is determined to ensure Ireland will be well positioned for the shift to these networks in the years ahead.

Commenting on the total of 698,000 Irish consumers now subscribing for broadband services, Ryan said he was encouraged that 45,000 of these were consumers taking up mobile broadband services in the last quarter.

“This is a relatively new area that is still undergoing some teething problems but I am confident that the service providers can overcome these difficulties and it will prove to be an important new channel in broadband provision,” Ryan said.

“Both the European Commission and the OECD will also shortly be adding mobile broadband statistics to their league tables.”

Ryan said that the rapid take up of mobile broadband still demonstrates there is an appetite among consumers for access to broadband services.

“The National Broadband Scheme will, when fully rolled out, help us to meet this demand and ensure that all reasonable requests for broadband can be met,” he said.

“I will be striving over the coming months to ensure that the tender process for the National Broadband Scheme proceeds as quickly as possible and the rollout of these new broadband services around the country can begin.”

However, Minister Ryan also sounded a note of caution and warned against complacency.

“While these statistics clearly illustrate that real progress is being made in the provision of basic broadband services, I believe that we can and should strive for more ambitious goals,” he said.

By John Kennedy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Haha, the reporter from the Irish times would love to find this article on her blog.

Apparently demand is problem in her eyes :P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Haha, the reporter from the Irish times would love to find this article on her blog.

Apparently demand is problem in her eyes :P.

She's not a reporter for the IT, she's a freelancer who writes a column for them.

Anyway - about these figures; by mobile broadband I assume they're referring to the likes of 3 and O2's newish BB services...

If so I have to wonder if it's fair to count these in addition to the existing fixed BB numbers; how many of those 45,000 already have BB at home and just got the new o2/3 service for when they're on the go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

flogen wrote:
    She's not a reporter for the IT, she's a freelancer who writes a column for them.

Just to be semantic about this, she may be a freelancer, but she is also a reporter for the IT. Just because she is not "staff" it does not negate her from the position of reporter. She is still rewarded by the IT for her piece(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most of the Mobile seem to be not mobile but dialup replacement. It's good the EU etc going to do separate Mobile Internet as that will stop people here sticking it in the Broadband stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

watty having tried both the Voda and Three offering I can honestly say that its worse than 40k dialup.
    zug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

watty wrote:
    Most of the Mobile seem to be not mobile but dialup replacement. It's good the EU etc going to do separate Mobile Internet as that will stop people here sticking it in the Broadband stats?

Agree completely. I cannot see how Mobile can be classed as Broadband. While Vodafones offering is useful to those who have no other choice, the speeds are very slow. People are using a poetic license when they label it BB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bealtine wrote:
    Ireland set to surpass EU-broadband average

While we are 'set' to close the gap we are on our holes set to do so this year. Thats because our growth in genuine BB like Breeze and Metro and DSL is high by EU standards....although not as high as some of our eastern european peers.
    11.09.2007 - With 16.5pc penetration, Ireland is closing in on the EU-25’s 18.1pc average for broadband per capita and should surpass it by the end of the year, the Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources Eamon Ryan said yesterday.

Its only 16.4 something and THEN only if MOBILE 3G services are counted. Eamonn lied there.

These 3g services are not part of the standard EU or OECD Broadband measure and should be discounted in quoting comparable statistics.

Anyway Dermot Ahern directed we be at or ahead of the EU15 average by end 2005 , it looks like we may make it by end 2008 .

If Eamo wants to change that directive he should issue his own directive. Until then its Dermot Ahern who made the policy that Eamo should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

"Ryan said that the rapid take up of mobile broadband still demonstrates there is an appetite among consumers for access to broadband services"

While he didn't dare say it, I will take the liberty of reading between the lines. "There's a few too many pairgains swaying on poles across Ireland so we need mobile phone networks to plug the gap"

The price of it is attractive of course, but that's also based on another Comms. cock-up, the highest line rental in the EU.

Advertisement