Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argus Car Hire/Cartrawler – never again!

Options
  • 11-09-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭

I really get hacked off when I make a deal with someone and don’t get charged the agreed amount. Argus seems like one of those companies that, once they’ve had their commission, they don’t give a flying f*** what happens afterwards. They apparently have a customer care facility, although I don’t know what function it has.

In 2006 they arranged for me to hire a car in the Czech Republic for a couple of weeks. The quote was €299 plus what I assume was Argus’ cut of €49.83. I arrived at the Sixt car-hire office where I was told that I owed them nearly €600. After arguing the toss with these people, I eventually persuaded them that, as I had the necessary piece of paper, they were only going to get €299. They agreed to this and off I went.

Imagine my wonderment when I got back to Ireland and my credit card got debited with €588. I contacted Argus who did absolutely nothing. After wasting much time and effort, I eventually got a refund from Sixt of €268. As far as the other 20 odd Euro was concerned, I tried a couple of times to get that but was ignored.

Eventually, out of the blue, Argus sent me an email apologising and offered me a paltry discount for all of my trouble.

In 2007 I assumed that lightning wouldn’t strike twice and went with Argus again. This time their cut had risen to €81.92 and Budget car hire was supposed to get €618.

Imagine my wonderment when I got back to Ireland and was overcharged, this time by a smaller margin, of almost €50. I almost struck lucky this time. Argus, as if by some miracle, actually replied to my email.

The end result this year is that I am only owed about €9 – and I’m now being ignored by Argus again.

They’re getting no more of my business. They can blame Sixt or Budget for wasting my time, but it’s too much of a coincidence that an Argus booking has gone pear-shaped two years in a row.

I previously used Nova Carhire, (no billing problems at all) but a couple of years ago their quote was sky-high for some reason. Next time, anybody but Argus. The general idea of a holiday is to get away from the sh1t for a couple of weeks and not to spend it, and afterwards, ploughing through even more of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I've used argus about 4 times this year already and have had no problems and their price's have been better than anyone elses.

Argus act as a broker for carhire companies and the carhire companies act independently and have there own rules some carhire companies charge €50 for putting the petrol in the tank some will refund this if you return the tank full.

Argus just gives the price of the car hire, not petrol, extra insurance cover, babyseat etc....

I'm using them again at the end of the month, hopefully everything will be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I used them a few times in Spain and never had any problems with them or with Europcar (company they used in my case)

I contacted them once about a price match and managed to talk to Mr. Turley (don't think it was the CEO I think it was his brother) he resolved the issue and give me a code for 10% discount used a few times after that.So

You try call and ask for him or even drop to their Terenure office as is the HQ

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 12Esc

I also had a very bad experience with Car trawler. They took my money, never delivered the rental service (so i had to find an rent another car when we arrived at the airport) and refuse to give me my money back.
    The customer services keeps replying with the same default mail, asking me to claim the amount with my travel insurance....

My advice: never rent a car with car trawler (or argus rentals). According to the company webpage, the company is owned and managed by Niall Turley and Gregory Turley. Maybe complaining to them would help?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll let the necro slip but I'd assume you have paid via CC; this means you can request a charge back for lack of service (which will add a fine to the company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 12Esc

a charge back is only possible within a month after receiving the notification. I have paid for the car several months ago, so this is not an option anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A chargeback is usually available up to 3 or 6 months as I recall and you should really do it with in a week of coming home and notifying the company of their failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

12Esc wrote: »
    I also had a very bad experience with Car trawler. They took my money, never delivered the rental service (so i had to find an rent another car when we arrived at the airport) and refuse to give me my money back.
    The customer services keeps replying with the same default mail, asking me to claim the amount with my travel insurance....

My advice: never rent a car with car trawler (or argus rentals). According to the company webpage, the company is owned and managed by Niall Turley and Gregory Turley. Maybe complaining to them would help?

This thread is two years old! Feel free to start a new thread if you want though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement