Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edging area between grass and kerbing

Options
  • 11-09-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Folks,

Has anybody got any ideas of what I could put/spray between the grass margin and kerbing which currently is just compacted soil? The width is approx 1 foot and I am constantly having to weed it every month or so and it is a complete pain! Would a v.light dose spray of something like roundup be too drastic to keep the weeds down here?

Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Roundup will do a great job in killing the existing weeds, but seeds will still germinate so the weeds will return, I spray my borders each year, usually March/April, with Roundup Biactive mixed with Simazine, the Roundup kills off the existing weeds and the Simazine sterilizes the top soil down to about 2-3 cm which prevents seeds germinating, but beware nothing will grow for at least 6 months where you have sprayed, so don't spray if you want to plant anything later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

amerden wrote:
    Roundup will do a great job in killing the existing weeds, but seeds will still germinate so the weeds will return, I spray my borders each year, usually March/April, with Roundup Biactive mixed with Simazine, the Roundup kills off the existing weeds and the Simazine sterilizes the top soil down to about 2-3 cm which prevents seeds germinating, but beware nothing will grow for at least 6 months where you have sprayed, so don't spray if you want to plant anything later.

Exactly what I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Many tks. for the suggestion here. I will obviously need to make sure not to get any on the grass itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Would it be worth putting paving stones in it, or covering it with plastic and covering it with small stones / bark chipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Already have alot of barkmulch on the flowerbeds so will probably stick with the spraying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Why not take out the soil and put down some bricks or small paving stones to create an edge around the grass?

This will look much neater and allow you to mow the grass much more easily. I am about to do this on my lawn with 6" sq. cobbles, will set them level on a compact bed of sand. Any weeds/grass that come up around the laid stones can be sprayed later. If you use mulch, this will get blown away during the winter or thrown around by the lawnmower.

Advertisement