Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 0WG864 motherboard compatibility with P4?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading my main system, getting new Box/MoBo/PSU/GFX and probably more, but not my processor just yet.

I have a second (older) PC with a busted MoBo, it is my intention to take the the Box/MoBo I'm replacing and give it to the older machine to get it running again, but I need to know if my current MoBo, a rather ****ty Dell 0WG864 is compatible with the 3Ghz pentium 4 in the older machine.

Do any of you know off hand? Or know of some place where I could find this out? (Both Dell and Intel are washing their hands of this)

As a matter of interest, if an incompatible processor is installed, will it simply crash out, or actually damage the components?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What socket p4 is it 478? 775? as your Dell 0WG864 is a socket 775 motherboard. Which means the cpu has to be the pinless lga775 type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

well its pinless I think (it just rests on the contacts)... how would I tell what socket it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

google images for socket 775 and 478 and compare them to whats on your board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is the computer still running if so download CPU-Z and it will tell you the type of socket and chipset in the motherboard.

Advertisement