Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 years ago today (11th) - Where were you?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

I was in new york at the time, had been at the towers the day before, was on the tube on my way back down to the towers to do some shopping in the area when the tube stopped and everyone was told to get off.

Was quite a sureal situation, fighter jets and ambulances all over the place, rapid responce of everyone and anyone queing up to give blood in the hospitals, panic of people trying to ring home even though most lines were down, people covered in dust...was just strange, something i will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

It was Gareth O' Callaghan who broke the news on 2FM, actually.

True, that's where I heard it first. I was working in a crappy factory job waiting for college to start again. I was glued to the radio until 5, when I rushed home to watch it on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Was in Secondary at the time, I remember meeting my mam afterwards as she drove to the school to give me a jumper I had asked her to collect for me in town, and that is when she told me. Still have the jumper, and it's the first thing I think of whenever I see it.

From there, I went into town and bought Diablo II : Lord of Destruction (Ironic? perhaps. Nerdy? absolutely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

G.a.a football training only 9 at the time came as a great shock to see so many people die like that and all the channels were just bombarded with the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Well I was at work. And someone told me. So I went online and the bbc confirmed it for me. And we got Friday off work. And loads of people complained that they were being denied a Friday night's drinking. And then life went on. Except that we had to remove our belts and shoes in the airports in the US.

And little did I know that every year thereafter, there would be people asking questions about where I was at the time when I heard the news about this, to compliment with the similar question about the death of Diana (Zurich Airport).

And I don't recall being asked where I was when I heard about the Tsunami two years ago...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hmm. I've no idea where I was when Diana died. Was that important?

The Tsunami, I had problems of my own in Iraq, but I certainly remember reading about it in the cybercafe.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Is it a terrible thing to say that, after 6 years, i no longer care?

I simply can't bring myself to say, oh all those poor people, I'm all cared out.

Anyone else feel like this (or as regards Diana?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I was in an ESB shop waiting in a queue to pay my bill, when I looked at the 30 TV's or so on display and saw the report about the first plane going into the north tower. I listened eagerly, just thought some small aircraft pilot had a heart attack. Then I watched in horror as the second plane crashed. I ran back to th hospital where I work and found everybody gathered in the staff room. The waiting room was getting fuller and fuller as we were watching this, and when the time came to start getting in the patients, I told each of them this surreal event that had happened in New York. They were shocked, as there's no TV or Radio in the waiting room.

On the 31st Of August 1997, I was ironing my uniform for work (on call) when my husband called out to me "Did you hear that". "Hear what" I asked. "Prince Charles was killed in a car crash". "Oh, right" was all I said, "as long as it wasn't Diana". Next thing he said "Wait a minute - it IS Diana!". "What! It can't be Diana". Luckily work was quiet, I spent the whole day watching TV. Then I watched Mayo play Offaly at Croke Park, and I was absolutely disgusted there wasn't a minute's silence for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I was playing Metal Gear Solid. My dad came in and told me a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre. I just thought some eejit had flown a little plain into the tower and that he would have done more damage to himself than anyone else. I continued playing for a bit before I went and saw the real thing on the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

what really freaked me out was that a month before in history class we were discussing terrorist attacks, omagh, eniskillen and pearl harbour were mentioned. i remember we all came to to the point that considering what had happened in iraq (i think) during clinton's time, we would not be surprised that some how some day america would get attacked something maybe even worse that that mentalist tim mcveigh did. we ended that class thinking god help the world if america took revenge if it happened, mcdonalds for all.

on the day though i was just back from school, i remember the weather was really nice (typical back to school weather) on of my mates was ringing, he had not been in school that day so i didnt think he be neerdy wanting to know what homework we got. anyway i answered and he was screaming down the phone "world war 3 , tune into sky news". like everyone else jaw dropped. many that was the first time i actually was watching some one getting killed (bodies falling) even the jfk film freaks me out watching the head shot. then of course the usual getting out the phone book ringing up family who were in new york at the time (that reminded me when london got bomb in the early 1990's)

didn't the country shut down the week later as a mark of respect?, following thursday or friday.. panic at the off licence the night before. i am nearly certain that happened.

strange that nothing like that was done when omagh happened, just a national 15 minute silence at 3 pm the following saturday (clare were playing in croker that day) certainly did not happen during madrid or london bombings

my dad video taped all of the coverage, weirdly with much entusiasm. sure at least they would be good sources in the future (vhs wont be around though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Was in Lourdes, all the sick/elderly were to be flying home the next day. We got dribs n drabs of info, things like the Pentagon had been blown up etc...
    eventually got some of the info. Couldn't tell any of the people there (Because they would have been freaked out heading home)
    bit mad really.... cuz we didnt get the full story til we got home to ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

in 4th year in school, very long 2 hour wait before seeing anything on the telly...

Also... check out the media's reports that day

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/?c=WORLD&d=2001-09-11

so much sketchy info getting mixed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was in school and I remember one of the teachers saying a plane had hit a building but I wasn't really paying attention and just figured it was some small aircraft. Then I got home and my dad filled me in and I just watched the TV in disbelief. Really surreal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Bed. Working nights , woke up in a daze and it was surreal watching the news on sky when I woke up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was coming out of school (4th class) and my dad told me. i went home and turned on Sky News and watched with horror.
    I always remember how that morning Kenan and Kel was on and it was the episode where they climbed the sears tower.
    I also fell off my bike that evening (lovely sunny weather) and grazed both my hands
    Strange the things you remember cos of 1 event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

lol very good indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

''what really freaked me out was that a month before in history class we were discussing terrorist attacks''

So, how is school in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

''what really freaked me out was that a month before in history class we were discussing terrorist attacks''

So, how is school in August?

It's great. Pretty slack tbh. Took up smoking then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Was standing at the end of my road after P.E talking with my friends Andy, Sinead and a couple of others. Andy cycled home early for some reason and texted a minute later saying "two planes hit World Trade Centres in New york, 1 hit pentagon."

Went way over my head... I think I replied "What's the punchline?"
    Saw it then when i got home to find my younger brother watching the news...
    I remember a bunch of my friends went to the American embassy then to show support, I abstained for reasons I don't fully recall, but vaguely political.

I also remember discussing it on the phone with my friend Eimear that night... We confided in each other that, though it was tragic and awful, it was also quite exciting and one of the coolest things we'd ever seen. Pictures of Bin Laden came up on the tv that night, my tv was muted as I spoke to her and the footage of the crash played several times during that conversation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was in work when word spread around the floor. About 10 minutes later we couldn't access any of the news websites they were being that hammered by traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

School day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i was on holiday in lanzerote

first thing i heard about it was when i went to get the papers on sept 12th and they were all black!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Never mind where I was, it's none of your business.
    I have a cast iron alibi. That's all you need to know.

omagh, eniskillen and pearl harbour

Never heard Pearl Harbour referred to as a terrorist attack before.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I was in a summer job I think and heard about it on Sky News. Emailed my cousin who works in NY. He works a little bit away from the WTC. He emailed back saying that the whole building was about to be evacuated just in case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

darkman2 wrote:

Anyway do you remember how you heard about it?

Heard it on the radio as I went home for lunch and switched on TV - a couple of minutes later the second plane hit.

I was pissed - I'd just forked out for tickets to NY the day before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was in Lebanon, watching the Lebanese celebrate then gladly accepting our US Dollars in their shops.. Fvcking a$$wipes.

The immediate aftermath for me was talking to my children on the telephone and reassuring my son that WWIII hadn't started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Was driving into Liverpool for a match,listening to the radio.
    Thought the station was doing a stupid prank, till we got to the hotel and saw everyone standing in the lobby,glued to the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I remember getting into the bus and the bus driver telling us that world war 3 had begun. he told us that all the major cities were bombed. pretty frightening!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I was at work in a small linux Consultancy on Capel St

when the firs plane hit I rememered that there had been a docco on the telly a few days earlier about how a B17 (I think) had hit the Empire State Building.

Also re the dianna thing, I remember that I was at a mates house when I was told what had happened, it seemed to overshadow the other breaking news event of that weekend The first Public revalations about CJH. my mate said that the Dianna one was the one more people would be interested in, I said that ten years on the CJH story would have had the bigger impact.

B-25 Mitchell, if I recall.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

B-25 Mitchell, if I recall.

NTM

Thanks, It always stuck in my mind as being a little too coincidental, course what are the odds of RTE being in on any global conspiracy

In the locker room in 5th year
    I rushed home and watched the news with my dad

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was on holiday in France the day the media redefined the laws of physics and the world changed forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Staring at the screen in The Harbourmaster Bar in disbelief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Mum told me when she picked me up from school, went home, had dinner and went to sleep for a while. Didn't give a **** then, don't give a **** now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I was showing my mother how to use her just installed sky digital.
    Waiting for the pay channels to come through but had sky news/cnn

1st plane hit, mother insisted watching a holiday programme
    2nd plane hig, still wanted to watch holiday show.
    towers collapse.... mother yields to protests and switches over.

thanks mom :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Was ditching school so saw it on the telly.

My mum came home but was so gobsmacked she didnt even tell me to go back to school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Was sitting in school in the technology lab looking out the window day dreaming

our principal came on the intercom after the first attack and told us and then again after the second one, we all had to have explained to us what the World trade center was...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

In airlie beach, australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

nonamemark wrote:
    Mum told me when she picked me up from school, went home, had dinner and went to sleep for a while. Didn't give a **** then, don't give a **** now
    Ah you give a **** all right - enough to post what you were doing at the time AND to let us know that you don't give a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

nonamemark wrote:

Wow, you're so cool!

Advertisement