Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers on the slip road.

Options
  • 11-09-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

First off can I possibly make a request that if this even begins to devolve into the normal traveller thread ignorant ****e can I get it locked.

Right. I have noticed a significant group of travellers have set up camp on the slip road up to the Tipperary road from the Dublin dual carriageway. This is the first I have seen of this on any major dual carriageway, so more curious is there set laws against this? People leave the dual carriageway at 100kmph going up this slip. If it rains even once the mud that they are bringing onto the road from in/out traffic to the temporary camp is going to send someone spinning out of control. What are the laws governing where they can stop? I assume pavee point and other groups have actually worked out some sort of rules with the government?
    Again I re-iterate. If you want to post ignorant ****e then go somewhere else. I am genuinely curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jumpy wrote:
    First off can I possibly make a request that if this even begins to devolve into the normal traveller thread ignorant ****e can I get it locked.
    No problem, Jumpy. I'll keep an eye on it.

With regard to the slip road, they will definitely not be there for long. As you said, its very very dangerous, and I can see them being moved on very quickly from there.

Would you get a better response on the Limerick City forum? I can move it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Possibly. But its a county road, so I thought I would drop it here. Whatever you think is best.

I'll leave it for a while. If its quiet, I'll move it.

7 hours with no reply qualifies as quiet. :)
    Moving to Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I never noticed this, were abouts are they? (A field beside the dual carriageway is it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

In relation to travellers, the likes of Clare County Council have a more progressive outlook on the situation, at least making some sort of an effort to set up halting sites for Traveller families.

However, Limerick County Council is infested with councillors who don't want to have a halting site on their patch.

**** it, I remember reading one county Councillor objecting to the boundary extension because he didn't want poor (settled) people living near him.

EDIT published before finnishing.

This means that without somewhere safe to stop, these people are left to park on roads that are extremely busy. If they settle in a field, which would ideally be safer, they are moved on, so they settle on land deemed not to be owned by anyone, the side of the road.

It more than likely is illegal, and highly dangerous, however they have to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...If they settle in a field, which would ideally be safer, they are moved on, so they settle on land deemed not to be owned by anyone, the side of the road...

I was under the impression that the "side of the road" was the property of the county council / city council?? After all, they do cut the grass at the side of the road (not always and everywhere, admittedly!)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I said land deemed to be not owned by anyone. I never said who deem it to be not owned by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah i saw this on sunday on my way back from Newport. There was children playing on the road. Someone's going to get hurt here or worse, killed. These families would want to be moved for their own safety and the safety of the motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I drive this road every day and this group are the same ones (recognise their cars and 4x4s) that broke open a gate and setup camp in the Raheen Business Park just down from the white Dell building. They were swiftly moved by a court order as the Raheen Business Park is private property. They left that place in some mess, walking past the place there was rubish everywhere including car batteries, old cookers, etc.

Because of the likes of this I have very little sympathy for these people at the best of times but I still would not like to see any of them in harm's way at the place they are now settled. It is simply too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dave878

bazz26 wrote: »
    I drive this road every day and this group are the same ones (recognise their cars and 4x4s) that broke open a gate and setup camp in the Raheen Business Park just down from the white Dell building. They were swiftly moved by a court order as the Raheen Business Park is private property. They left that place in some mess, walking past the place there was rubish everywhere including car batteries, old cookers, etc.

and further up from dell on the way to the old cork road (R526)
    there is a large group of travellers parked for the past year (without moving)

a few years ago, the council made this road a clearway in order to make it illegal to park there, but the travellers soon realised that if they parked on the grass, they were off the clearway and legal.

with this peace of mind, they would come and go at will.

but about a year ago, the council decided to create a raised bank which would prevent parking on the grass. when the travellers realised what was happening, they moved back en-masse and are now parked there permanantly and the bank remains unfinished.

it is fairly obvious what is going on..........but limerick county council will not be blackmailed (fair play to them)

Also see that there now on that new road to castletroy on the roundabout near B&Q
    How long have they been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

It seems to me, all these lads circle parking up wherever they feel like parking, regardless of the danger posed to themselves or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1huge1 wrote: »
    Also see that there now on that new road to castletroy on the roundabout near B&Q
    How long have they been there.

They were there when the road opened first and they were sent packing a few months later. Looks like the big boulders didn't stop them coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

There were a few caravans parked on the Doradoyle exit recently (on the dual carriageway). I was coming off the exit at about 100km/hr when one of caravan occupants threw a bit of rubble at my car. It frightened the life out of me. When I stopped to check for damage another one of the occupants came running at me with a piece of wood. I stopped at the nearest payphone and called the Guards and explained to an unsympathetic Guard what had happened. The caravans were gone a few days later.

I am still a bit rattled over the incident.

Wow thats really sucks, least you got them out of there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dem peeps seem to know more about their rights than most

Advertisement