Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On campus accommodation-what to bring?

• 11-09-2007 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have a place in River Apts, in the Erne building. I know that I have to bring my own bedding etc, and that cooking utensils etc are provided, but was wondering what else I need to bring.
    Is there a tv/radio/dvd in the apartments or should I bring my own?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well NUIM are obviously cheap ****ers (I mean I can understand you having to bring your own duvet and stuff, but bringing your own pillows?!What the ****?!), so i'd be extremely doubtful they'd provide you with a TV (and I definitely haven't see it mentioned anywhere).Anyways i'm bringing a small 14/15 inch TV to stick in the room, as well as a clock and a desk lamp (I know theres a lamp above your bed, but I don't think theres one on the desks) and some other random stuff (including duvets, duvet covers and so forth).I also plan on bringing a small mini-fridge to stick in my room....ya know just in case I buy something for myself and one of my room-mates ACCIDENTLY eats it...... ¬.¬

Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jr.Hero

Actually on da point of tv, does anyone knoe if each room has a tv ariel port otherwise only thing tv good for is dvds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Well NUIM are obviously cheap ****ers (I mean I can understand you having to bring your own duvet and stuff, but bringing your own pillows?!What the ****?!), so i'd be extremely doubtful they'd provide you with a TV (and I definitely haven't see it mentioned anywhere).Anyways i'm bringing a small 14/15 inch TV to stick in the room, as well as a clock and a desk lamp (I know theres a lamp above your bed, but I don't think theres one on the desks) and some other random stuff (including duvets, duvet covers and so forth).I also plan on bringing a small mini-fridge to stick in my room....ya know just in case I buy something for myself and one of my room-mates ACCIDENTLY eats it...... ¬.¬

Better safe than sorry.

Jesus relax dude!
    of course you have to bring your own pillows, LOL you hardly expect them to have fresh pillows bought and put in just for you!
    Desk lamps in the rooms, and a tv with chorus digital in the living area is included as standard in the river apartments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Se&#225 wrote: »
    There is a TV in the kitchen/sitting room area. It's a smallish one. You will never watch it. Ever. I mean you don't realise how busy you will be. You will get up, go to lectures, do some work, eat dinner and go out with your friends. And in between you will probably just hang out with your friends... I barely watched TV last year. the only thing i watched was Lost!
    Yup, Only thing I watched Lost and the panel because I was always busy with training, college work :rolleyes: :D and nights out.
    Se&#225 wrote: »
    Bring a brolly! Maynooth is the f'ing wettest place in the world!
    Yup, It always rains you will also find it to be very cold. I would get alot of hoddies if i was you

Ah ok then.Thanks for the responses guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nerfmenow

I got assigned a River apartment room. I hope I get chill room-mates..otherwise It'll be a long year..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sobal

I'm in Erne Hall too. Will be there on 24th.
    Now that people have arrived and are going "**** I should have packed XYZ" and the like, could someone let me know what you didn't pack / wouldn't have packed that they don't provide? :p
    Thanks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I live out in moyglare, but I could never live on campus. I just couldn't handle living 15 feet from college, I don't think i'd ever feel like I'd gone 'home'. However, anyone I know who's actually ever lived on campus says it's not like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

<snip>I also plan on bringing a small mini-fridge to stick in my room....ya know just in case I buy something for myself and one of my room-mates ACCIDENTLY eats it...... ¬.¬

Better safe than sorry.
    I did that it's a good idea cos whenever I leave sweet stuff in particular in the kitchen area some housemate always accidentally eats it.

You don't need much really. Just clothes, toilet things, Bed clothes all that malarck. They have tv's in the sitting room. You might want to bring your radio though :) Also I used to bring my own plates and stuff cos i find students like to leave them to um drip dry which makes them look dirty and disgusting!

petals wrote:
    You don't need much really. Just clothes, toilet things, Bed clothes all that malarck. They have tv's in the sitting room. You might want to bring your radio though :) Also I used to bring my own plates and stuff cos i find students like to leave them to um drip dry which makes them look dirty and disgusting!
    We sure as hell don't have a TV in our sitting room.Hell the actual TV socket has actually been sort of ripped from the wall....so even if we had one its no good till we get it fixed....we do have a TV remote with one battery though....which is nice!

Anyways my apartment is pretty ****ed up (nothing works, theres a window that doesn't close, no hot water, weird stains EVERYWHERE, no internet etc) but my room-mates are great....and so I shan't be asking to change.Still though I just wish they'd fix the ****ing internet.I mean jesus there was like 30 people with laptops down complaining bout it yesterday!Surely that would make it a priority?!?

Oh and I leave the dishes to drip dry as well........... >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

LOL - i spent so much time watching tv its not funny while everyone else was out in lectures!
    Oops.
    But saying you will never watch tv?! i mean hello?!if you watch loads of tv now, you'll watch loads of tv in college. just so long as your housemates like the same stuff!
    oh them were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TV Points are easy to fix. You can buy the parts for about €2 in most hardware shops. There's a hardware shop in Maynooth village, at the bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

no hot water, weird stains EVERYWHERE
    Ah same with my apartment (Carrick) last year, Cold showers they wer fun NOT :mad: I think the rest of my flat m8s didnt shower because of it :eek:

Oh yea we had loads of them, no idea how they got there or what they were.
    Well that is better than drying them with a diry tea towel like my house mates always did. :(
    LOL - i spent so much time watching tv its not funny while everyone else was out in lectures!
    Oops.
    But saying you will never watch tv?! i mean hello?!if you watch loads of tv now, you'll watch loads of tv in college. just so long as your housemates like the same stuff!
    oh them were the days.

I watched sweet fúck all TV in my apartment last year tho that was down to be not being there most of the time. :cool:

the_syco wrote:
    TV Points are easy to fix. You can buy the parts for about €2 in most hardware shops. There's a hardware shop in Maynooth village, at the bus stop.
    Ah but I think this might require a little bit morework.Cause not only the socket thing loose/partially broken, the actual little bit of metal wire (I have no idea what the technical name for it is) isn't properly attached to the back of the socket....so I think we'll have to call the residence office to fix it!What are they like anyways?Completely useless?Will it take them like a month to get round to us?Or will they just choose to ignore us completely?
    eamoss wrote:
    I watched sweet fúck all TV in my apartment last year tho that was down to be not being there most of the time. :cool:
    Haha.I just hang out in the river apartments when I want to watch TV.It sucks though cause I went to watch PB last night, and people in the apartment wouldn't stop talking....and its not like I can tell them to shut the **** up, cause its THEIR apartment....so it would look bad!Thankfully i'd watched the episode earlier that day, so its all good!

Anyways my apartment is pretty ****ed up (nothing works, theres a window that doesn't close, no hot water, weird stains EVERYWHERE, no internet etc) but my room-mates are great....and so I shan't be asking to change.Still though I just wish they'd fix the ****ing internet.I mean jesus there was like 30 people with laptops down complaining bout it yesterday!Surely that would make it a priority?!?

Dam straight your flat mates are great.:D however i thought i told you to stop bad mouthing our flat. your room had the 'stains'. no laptop so no internet hasn't effected me (yet). ah life is good.
    BTW back home and da broadband is in and brilliant

edit: we do have hot water. i learned how to heat the water tank whenever you want, forgot too tell ya that before i left. well at least i think i know

Jr.Hero wrote:
    however i thought i told you to stop bad mouthing our flat. your room had the 'stains'.
    Ah come on now you must admit our flat isn't great!And the kitchen has stains too!!And there seems to be new ones every single day....probably because SOMEBODY has been letting people pour stuff onto the carpet to see how absorbent it is......now I wonder who that was?!?

¬.¬
    Jr.Hero wrote:
    BTW back home and da broadband is in and brilliant
    Yeah thats the only thing I like bout being home.Hope they get the internet fixed soon though.Like I said though there was loads of people down complaining....so surely they'll fix it soon!
    Jr.Hero wrote:
    edit: we do have hot water. i learned how to heat the water tank whenever you want, forgot too tell ya that before i left. well at least i think i know
    Oh well thats really ****ing helpful now isn't it?!I had a freezing cold shower yesterday!Twas terrible.You should have stayed last night though.We all went out and it was MAD.Will tell you bout it later, but jesus it was ****ing insane.Our flat-mates are all crazy.Specially THOSE 2.....you know who i'm talking bout....

>.>

Oh on a similar note, does anyone here live in flat 23 or 24 in Rye?If someone does will they please tell whoevers playing the ****ing guitar late at night to stop it?!I mean some of us are trying to sleep!And what kind of nutjob plays the guitar (badly I might add) at 3 in the morning anyways?!

*End rant*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Holy crap..do you complain much? You're not living at home with Mammy and Daddy and all the creature comforts.

You seem to have blown any notion of confidence of the residence office's competence clean out of the water with your posts.

Just gather a list of things that are "wrong" with your apartment and go over the Fiona and ask they be fixed. It's simple really.

Also, I believe the person who is responsible for the internetz support (name not being mentioned, I dunno if he wants folks to know..) is on boards.ie - It's a pretty **** job and people are always hassling him about trivial crap - so just give it time.

Darn firstyears expecting too much...just wait until you move out into real houses, oh how I won't want to hear you complain then...

Holy crap..do you complain much?
    Only when i've cause too.
    You seem to have blown any notion of confidence of the residence office's competence clean out of the water with your posts.
    Well since i'm assuming they were the ones responsible for making sure the rooms were cleaned over the summer or whatever, then I personally have very little reason to have any confidence in them whatsoever.And I actually only asked because I know some 3rd years in NUIM who think the residence office is fairly ****.However I thought that maybe they just had some bad experiences with them in the past, and so I thought i'd ask for more opinions here!

Oh and while I don't doubt the fact that its a very stressful job (and although it may not seem like it in my posts, I certainly do feel sorry for the guy), I hardly think the internet not working AT ALL in the apartments is ''trivial crap''.I know you can get wireless access if your in village apartments, but as far as i'm aware (was over with the wireless guy yesterday and he showed me a map with all the places on campus with wireless access) River and Rye don't have wireless at all so.....

what i missed the flat bonding night . did everyone in da flat head out. have any new people arrived yet.............

Jr.Hero wrote:
    what i missed the flat bonding night . did everyone in da flat head out. have any new people arrived yet.............
    Nope no new faces.Maybe whenever we go back on Sunday they'll be there.....although I hope not.Cause if they arrive now they're just gonna mess with our thang......damn them.

¬.¬

And check your PMs Hero.

Edit:Also what are you on bout anyways?Every night since Monday has basically been ''flat bonding night''!I mean jesus we all just stay up chatting for hours......if thats not bonding then what is?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

we've had no flat bonding nights, a couple of my housemates are screwy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

I hardly think the internet not working AT ALL in the apartments is ''trivial crap''.
    I'm in the river apartments and online right now...
    Likewise with several hundred others.
    For anyone with a brain, it is trivial to set up.
    You plug in with your network cable, you open your browser and you follow the clear and easy instructions.
    If the instructions don't show up, its because you have had your computer configured for some other network, and those settings have to be changed back to default.

I believe most of the 30 or so people in there that evening were international students, who had difficulty understanding or comprehending the instructions, or who had their laptops set up for use in another network, which is all fair enough.

I'm sure if you call in, the support guy will help you comprehend the simple instructions.

I am also online in the river apartments, its a rather fast connection and it took 2 seconds to get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

Noodlehead wrote:
    I am also online in the river apartments, its a rather fast connection and it took 2 seconds to get on.
    Cool, you have at least a rudimentary grasp of computers and at the very least are not dumb!! :D

I'm a bit disappointed though, wireless would have been amazing. I wonder can you hook this port up to a router though? Make my own little wireless in my room. I'm so used to lying on my bed with my laptop

Z wrote:
    I'm in the river apartments and online right now...
    Likewise with several hundred others.
    For anyone with a brain, it is trivial to set up.
    You plug in with your network cable, you open your browser and you follow the clear and easy instructions.
    If the instructions don't show up, its because you have had your computer configured for some other network, and those settings have to be changed back to default.
    I'm sure if you call in, the support guy will help you comprehend the simple instructions.
    Like I said, I was over with the support guy.He couldn't get it fixed, and said theres a problem with.....something (he used a rather technical word.....that went completely over my head), and that he thinks it should be fixed by Friday (which was tomorrow at the time I spoke to him).I have the NUIM VPN thing set up on the computer and all (and I know its set up properly, because I was able to use it to access the wireless connection in the arts building), and the (wired) connection is definitely there (in the apartment I mean, it comes up and says ''connected at 10MB''), but everytime the NUIM VPN tries to access it (so that I can get onto the internet) it goes for like 40 seconds, then says ''Error 800'' and a bunch of gibberish bout security and stuff.So its clearly a problem with the wired system in Rye, and i'd assume by the large amount of people complaining (most of whom i'd say were NOT foreign), River as well.

Also i'm actually quite proficient with computers, but as its a problem with the apartment's internet, theres not much I can do bout it is there?However the fact that you're both connected now gives me some comfort.Obviously they managed to fix it on Friday, which is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

Get OurTunes if you're in the campus apartments.

Advertisement