Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Speaky de Engrish ?

• 11-09-2007 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

So the immigrant council of Ireland want to introduce english classes for immigrants coming here ! Should we spend our (and possibly their) taxes on this ? Or should they have read the smallprint before coming here and learned how to communicate in the major language of this country ! If you were going to work abroad in a non-english speaking country would you expect that state to teach you the language ?

The article
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0911/integration.html

Should The Government Spend our money on teaching english to Johhny Foreigner ? 101 votes

Yes lets teach them the language so the can apply for welfare
    0%
    No if you come here that's your responsibility
    13%
    azeziljoolsveerWackerPonsterbohsmanrobinphstevedublinpbsuxok1znja4rBinomatemacplaxtonGenghiz Cohenronan.hdotsmanEkancone 14 votes
    Depends on the circumstance
    71%
    TwoShedsJacksonKarl HungusDont be at yourself_Kaiser_the_sycotony 2 tonegurramokBigConHagarChad ghostalXcom2snickerpussGuy:IncognitoTiestodeadduckOrielMongoFwaggleKingp35gibo_ie 72 votes
    Cad is anim an Atari Jaguar
    14%
    Kintarō HattoriPauljRabieschopperbyrneWibbsroberta cSingingCherryIckle MagooNature BoyrandylonghornStercus AcciditPinkerbuilttospillstcatherineLadyGodiva 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Feck em' - send them home and use the money to promote gaeilge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So the immigrant council of Ireland want to introduce english classes for immigrants coming here ! Should we spend our (and possibly their) taxes on this ? Or should they have read the smallprint before coming here and learned how to communicate in the major language of this country ! If you were going to work abroad in a non-english speaking country would you expect that state to teach you the language ?

The article
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0911/integration.html

No- but it'd be nice if they did! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Without wishing to jump on the anti-immigrant bandwagon... no, I don't think English classes should be put on by the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

once they teach them all to speak english, we should start speaking irish! that will show them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

once they teach them all to speak english, we should start speaking irish! that will show them!

LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Haha, good call. But then ill need irish lessons. Which will take up your tax money :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

On the news they said their going to teach them the official language of the country which I thought was Irish. We should theach them that for the laugh. Before they get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anti wrote:
    Haha, good call. But then ill need irish lessons. Which will take up your tax money :(
    Ironically, you'll be paying for that. What they should do is tell them that they are teaching them English, but teach them Irish instead. That way we'll have thousands more speaking Irish and it'll be great for our heritage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Exit wrote:
    Without wishing to jump on the anti-immigrant bandwagon... no, I don't think English classes should be put on by the State.

Dead right. Just let these foreign speaking kids go to normal classes like they are now and if the teacher has to spend more time with them at the English speaking kids expense then fine. Who ends up paying for it in the long term?

Their parents are paying taxes too if they're working here (which in reality they are).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I actually saw a really funny video where a chinese guy wants to come to Ireland so looks up the language we speak here and sees its irish, so he learns Irish and when he comes here nobody can understand him, until he talks to a bloke on the pub in Irish and he sends him to the Gaeltacht. it was really funny but I can't find the linky! Anway, on-topic again... i think it's the own person's responsibility to have a working knowledge of the language they speak in the country they are emigrating too. i wouldn't expect another country to give me free lessons in their language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Of course the should learn how to speak English before coming here.

Picture yourself going to Germany or China without a word of their native languages.

watna wrote:
    I actually saw a really funny video where a chinese guy wants to come to Ireland so looks up the language we speak here and sees its irish, so he learns Irish and when he comes here nobody can understand him, until he talks to a bloke on the pub in Irish and he sends him to the Gaeltacht. it was really funny but I can't find the linky! Anway, on-topic again... i think it's the own person's responsibility to have a working knowledge of the language they speak in the country they are emigrating too. i wouldn't expect another country to give me free lessons in their language.
    I remember hearing about that movie. I'm sure someone here will know the name.

Terry wrote:

ooo.. I hope so, a movie buff friend sent it to me and I really enjoyed it!

Terry wrote:
    Picture yourself going to Germany or China without a word of their native languages.

Of course you wouldn't but we're not talking about adults here. Would you give your 5 year old a Chinese or German course here before going or would you just pop him into one of their English language schools?

That's the other alternative I suppose. We could open schools in foreign languages to accomodate people coming here. They do it in Germany and China.
    I think getting a few extra teachers to get the kids up to speed in English is probably cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The funny/sad thing is, we're already doing this :rolleyes:

http://www.iilt.ie/home/default.asp?NCID=1

And in the leafy suburbs of ballsbridge no less, nothing but the best for our fugees

Other news: Immigrant council calls for red carpet to be rolled out for every chancer who steps off a plane in dublin airport, also that the M50 roundabout be declared a memorial for victims of intolerance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Terry wrote:
    Picture yourself going to Germany
    I am in Germany and they don't give me free German lessons - surprisingly enough! ;) I do not expect them to. If I want to speak german it is my problem not theirs and if it causes problems for me in my day to day life here - it is also my problem not theirs.

In the local school in my hometown they have a language class. I am not so bothered about teaching children but under no circumstances should the adults be taught for free.

If the immigrants really want to learn English maybe we could start courses but make them pay a "No Speaky de Engrish" tax to pay for it.

Of course you wouldn't but we're not talking about adults here. Would you give your 5 year old a Chinese or German course here before going or would you just pop him into one of their English language schools?

That's the other alternative I suppose. We could open schools in foreign languages to accomodate people coming here. They do it in Germany and China.
    I think getting a few extra teachers to get the kids up to speed in English is probably cheaper.
    Bollox to that.
    When in Rome...

See what axer said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Actually we are talking about the adults ! I have no problem with kids getting help to learn the language ! They didn't really have a choice in coming here and the schools could be geared up to help them like the currently do with kids who have learning difficulties without too much fuss ! But the adults who come here made a choice to do so and should make the effort to learn enough to get by before they come here !

Bambi wrote:
    The funny/sad thing is, we're already doing this :rolleyes:

http://www.iilt.ie/home/default.asp?NCID=1

And in the leafy suburbs of ballsbridge no less, nothing but the best for our fugees

Other news: Immigrant council calls for red carpet to be rolled out for every chancer who steps off a plane in dublin airport, also that the M50 roundabout be declared a memorial for victims of intolerance :)

Why do you assume that every immigrant is a chancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Exit wrote:

why do you assume they are not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

It doesn't make a ****ing difference if they know the language, because faced with an uncompromising position with an english speaking person, the reply is usually "I don't understand you"...which is ****ing annoying.

Rob_l wrote:
    why do you assume they are not?
    Because that would be ridiculous.

I'm going for my afternoon nap.
    When I wake up, there better be some proper evidence backing up these wild claims or I'm going on a ban rampage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nobody offered me free French lessons when I came to France.
    I spent a small fortune on lessons for my family, again nobody offered them for free. Nor did I expect them to.

I chose to come here and it was my responsibility to learn the language so my opinion would be "Fuck them. Let them get off their arses and learn the language at their own expense".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is the problem here that the immigrants are asking or that there are some stupid Irish people in the immigrant council of Ireland wanting to offer? Let those idiots go off and teach the immigrants themselves out of their own pocket if they want.

Actually we are talking about the adults ! I have no problem with kids getting help to learn the language ! They didn't really have a choice in coming here and the schools could be geared up to help them like the currently do with kids who have learning difficulties without too much fuss ! But the adults who come here made a choice to do so and should make the effort to learn enough to get by before they come here !

Ah OK. I thought it was about kids. I know a teacher and she was telling us how she had to spend a lot of extra time on one or two kids who didn't have great English.

For adults then I agree. They come here to work of their own choice. It's up to them to make sure they can get by in the country they go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

seriously our government need to stop rolling over to these people, If I want to go and work in Finland I have to learn Finnish .... what do I do ...go out and buy a bloody language course and learn the language myself. (just an example because thats the language I'm learning ATM).

It's right up there with all of this PC anti Racist crap.... it totally amazes me how certain groups of people expect to come to our country and have us bend to their every whim and yet when we go to theirs we have to abide by their rules 100% ... it's bollocks and they need to get out of the dark ages and come into the 21st century where men and women are equal, and we don't cut off your hand for stealing a loaf of bread, and its not against the law to show your face or your legs or bugger off back to their own countries.

It only makes me mad because these people expect to be able to bring their traditions and ways with them when we can't do the same in their countries.
    who the hell do they think they are and why the hell is our government bowing down to them ?

........ and relax :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Terry wrote:

"Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Exit wrote:

Why do you assume that i made that assumption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Maybe the problem is that they're only coming into the 20th century when the rest of us are in the 21st!!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

classes is a good idea as long as they are paying for them

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

ahemm .... yeah ...err and that too :o

axer wrote:
    Is the problem here that the immigrants are asking or that there are some stupid Irish people in the immigrant council of Ireland wanting to offer? Let those idiots go off and teach the immigrants themselves out of their own pocket if they want.

The problem here is fcuking dogooders looking for ways to waste our taxes and the next oppertunity to call us all racists !

Rozabeez wrote:
    "Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom"

Thank You.... *me goes off now to search for it!*

Stupid Double Post... I have shaky hands!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No if you come here that's your responsibility
    Rozabeez wrote:
    "Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom"
    Part One
    Part Two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/name_yu_ming.jsp

That was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe have a poll on this OP?

When Rome, do what the Romans do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Better idea. Anyone who wants to come to Ireland has to be fluent in gaeilge. That should cut down the numbers :)

First problem with this proposal, define 'immigrant'. Does a Polish person coming here for 12 months count as an immigrant? How about a Spanish or Chinese student over here for the summer to attend English lessons?

Second problem with this proposal, there are many issues affecting people coming to Ireland from abroad - given the global status of the English language, that isn't one of them.
    If someone wants to become a citizen of the state, then they should be able to speak one of the official languages - English or Irish. The least they can do to demonstrate their commitment is learn a language - at their own time and expense.

Seriously though, the Immigrant Council of Ireland doesn't have a ******* clue.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

gurramok wrote:
    Maybe have a poll on this OP?

When Rome, do what the Romans do..

Could do ! If someone tells me how to change the thread to include one !

Edit : Figured it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tameagdul

I have lived and worked in countries where there have been large groups of Irish people that couldn't speak the local language. In many cases government / local organisations took it upon themselves to offer classes on their language. It helped the immigrants (of which I was one) to integrate and to enjoy their time in the country. I always considered it a nice gesture.

• Advertisement

Rozabeez wrote:

Definitely, I'd forgotten how good it was, thanks for the link!

Bambi wrote:
    Why do you assume that i made that assumption?

Because it's what half your posts seem to be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Let them shag off and learn English at their own expense if they want to move to a mainly-English speaking country. Do you think if I moved to Poland or Romania the government there would be dying to give me free local language lessons?

Would they fu<k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

humanji wrote:
    Ironically, you'll be paying for that. What they should do is tell them that they are teaching them English, but teach them Irish instead. That way we'll have thousands more speaking Irish and it'll be great for our heritage.

Foiled :(

tameagdul wrote:
    I have lived and worked in countries where there have been large groups of Irish people that couldn't speak the local language. In many cases government / local organisations took it upon themselves to offer classes on their language. It helped the immigrants (of which I was one) to integrate and to enjoy their time in the country. I always considered it a nice gesture.

Out of curiosity, what countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irish classes should be free whereas English classes costs money.

It's be cool with a load of asylum seekers chatting away in Irish to some confused locals :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I went to live in Germany 10 years ago didn't see them teaching me their language. Like was said if they want to come here let sort out the language problems, and if they want to work let them have a good understanding of English. I went to a shop the other day and had to return something, the manager couldn't understand a word i was saying, he kept asking me the same question over and over. in the end he got frustrated and just gave me my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dade wrote:
    .....I went to a shop the other day and had to return something, the manager couldn't understand a word i was saying, he kept asking me the same question over and over. in the end he got frustrated and just gave me my money back.
    What shop was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For a nation which sent most of it's sons abroad, I find our attitude to it now laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

PHB wrote:
    For a nation which sent most of it's sons abroad, I find our attitude to it now laughable.

If past actions are an indication of what we should be doing now, then maybe we should be treating our immigrants worse? Because a lot of Irish people who emmigrated were treated horribly. Maybe we should hang signs in shop windows that say "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Poles"? Because that was the attitude back in the day. :rolleyes:

Honestly, we're living in the here and now, and just because something happened before does not make it a model for what should continue to happen. Even by your logic there, none of the people who've emmigrated were ever given free lessons by host nations, so your logic dictates that our 'attitude' now is perfectly correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement