Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Wireless hotspots Dublin

Options
  • 11-09-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone point me to lists of free hotspots in Dublin (apart from the free-20 minute-voucher-for-a-coffee)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A few bars in the city centre have free wireless, but thats pretty much the same as the coffee variety. The cheapest that you'll find are Fon for 3 euros a day or free if you have setup your own Fon router, I think you get 15minutes for free on them now though as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There is no such thing as free hotspots anymore a la the Dublin Airport free hotspot...get your own broadband it is less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Many of us have wireless at home, but what is been asked about here is handy hotspots, for those one-off occasions when you are out and about with your laptop and need to go online. It would be useful to have a pinned thread here with a list of such places, including the ones where there is or isn't a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Trinity Capital Hotel on Pearse St.... Free in the lobby

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

List of Free WiFi in Dublin

That is a bit old though so may not all still be around, or free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There are lots of old lists around, so its hard to know which ones are still operational, if they are still free and what new ones have come onstream. An up to date list, pinned and that we can add to, would be good in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Yes, As flukey describes .. what is been asked about here is handy free hotspots. I'm out and about a lot with my laptop.. Come on the boards community get a current pinned list going ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 QuickSmart

This would be a really handy resource for those sunny lazy days in summer when you have some serious research to do, a coffee in a cafe and a bit of out of office mental focus on reading.
    I find I can do 3 times the work load in a public environment. It's odd, there's an urgency to concentrate so someone doesn't see me dossing rather than working. Or that the treat of a coffee means I have to work for it. I'm not sure which.
    Anyway,, sticky this, yeh definitely.
    I'm working on Dawson street.. so I will check out the cafe's around this area and add them.

I'm still puzzled as to why business owneres don't offer this free. Woulnd it be possible to simply open up their own wireless network (securely?) if in use ?

Anyway One of the best around has to be KC PEACHES on Pearse St. Free to use 20 minute voucher with any purchase. Provider is BitBUzz. Good connection. Great coffee too

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

The lobby in Bewleys Newlands cross had free wifi last time I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I was looking for a list too.

Can Boards or someone start a list that people can add too? I don't know how

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Eircom do an offer where you can get free wifi on all there wireless enabled phone boxes. To get it you have to have broadband with them but i think you can do it if you just get your phone service from them. Not a bad deal seeing as how theres a good few of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Eircom do an offer where you can get free wifi on all there wireless enabled phone boxes. To get it you have to have broadband with them but i think you can do it if you just get your phone service from them. Not a bad deal seeing as how theres a good few of them around.
    I think that is only available for "free" until April though for eircom customers. The phone box hotspots used to be free when they first set them up but they decided to start charging for it instead after that. Everybody must have stopped using them then so they have gone back to allowing free access to them again in the hope that more people will keep paying for them after April.

Wifi is now free in KC Peaches coffee shop. Offered by Bitbuzz, sponsored by the cafe

There is free Wifi in the library on Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

This wk I saw about 5 people on laptops in the stephens green shopping centre, 2floor where the 2fm radio station in based. I doubt they were paying for it. They looked like students :D. Also not sure but cafe moda in Rathmines seems to allways have people sitting in the window on there laptops, I had heard they were connecting to the library across the road??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

sedohre wrote: »
    Also not sure but cafe moda in Rathmines seems to allways have people sitting in the window on there laptops, I had heard they were connecting to the library across the road??

Was in Cafe Moda Rathmines today. Yep Wireless Network from Dublin City Library across the road is available inside. Good signal , stable :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement