Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best English Dictionary, In Your Opinion . . .

• 11-09-2007 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I know a lot depends on what you want to get from it, but what in readers' views is the best English dictionary ?

Personally, all I have is the 1992 7th Edition Chambers. I got it through a Sunday Times book club for £1 and put a hard back on it myself for handier use. It has 190,000 references.

A friend now resident in Germany has asked me to recommend a good dictionary for reading. He has 2 young ones and is teaching them English at home, mostly with story books.
    I first advised Chambers - as they have an unrivalled lexicon of slang words and phrases both from UK and colonies.
    But he wanted a more "literary" dictionary.
    In the past I had the Compact Edition of the full OED. But this is photo-reduced and you need a magnifying glass to use it. The books are also too big for kids to manage.
    In a local shop I saw 3 other options.
    The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary;
    The Concise Oxford English Dictionary; and
    The Oxford Dictionary of English.

Of the rest I have heard of Webster's but doubt if they could rival the OED derivatives . . .
    Collins ED is big enough but would it have the depth of centuries to its words/meanings ?

Are there still others ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Full Oxford if you can afford it (about 5 grand for the 20 volume leather bound set, a grand for the normal bound 20 volumes, a couple of hundred for the one volume with magnifying glass).

onelook.com for online.

While the OED is unparalleled, the derived versions aren't that great IMO.

Advertisement