Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashtown, Dublin 15. Anyone know whats it like?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know or have any experience of Ashtown. Im Looking to rent a place there and would appreciate anyones views on the area.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ashtown is not too bad at all. Handy for buses, trains, Navan road and M50etc. There are primary schools, though no secondary shcool (that I know of!) The area is very settled and quiet and i'd recommend it to anyone. Has 4 pubs - Halfway house, Breffni Inn, Turnstile and the Hole in the wall. Plenty of local shops, a couple of spars, centras, and now there is a superquinn down in Rathborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I've lived in Ashtown for the past year. EDIT: When I talk of Ashtown, it will be of everything over the tracks, from The Village/Rathborne up to Pelletstown Manor and on to Royal Canal Park.

Pluses: Shops have opened up, as the previous poster said. The Superquinn is especially handy. It's almost a quasi-rural setting there, you can see fields and cows etc on the hill :) The 120 bus is handy, starts in Rathborne and takes about 30 minutes to town at peak times and only 20 or so off-peak. You also have the train, which will get you into Pearse in 23 minutes or so.

The Downside: Ashtown is very close to Cabra and Finglas. In fact, when you look out toward those fields I mentioned earlier, you are actually looking at one of the biggest joyriding/scrambling areas in Dublin. The area is currently subject to a compulsory purchase order, but the owner is fighting this far as I know (or holding out for more money) and I believe it's scheduled to go to the High Court. So don't hold your breath for this badly need remedy to occur.

There are regular incident of anti-social behaviour and crimes against property. My girlfriends car was damaged during an attempted break-in in our underground car park (whose gates are useless), a few other cars were broken into too. One of which was taken completely in a later break in! It was an older model (like my girlfriends was). She bought a newer car with immobiliser etc out of concern of it being robbed.

At some stage in June I think 5/6 cars (I'm not sure of what type, but it sounds like a pretty big operation) were taken from The Village underground car park (this is beside the Superquinn). Also down along the canal there are sometimes various undesirables drinking etc.

The train can also be an obstacle as much as a help. Thanks to ridiculousy antiquated crossings, traffic is stopped very regularly, and sometimes for long periods of time. Queues can build up, this affects the buses also.

If you are looking at living in Royal Canal Park then I'd go to Neighbours.ie and read the forum there from the beginning. From what I've read it seems less quiet than where I am (it is much more high density), and there have been a few nasty incidents :eek: You can read about Rathborne on Neighbours.ie too.

I don't want to drag it down too much, as so much depends on the individual place you're renting. But I get the feeling Ashtown thinks itself better than it is. Rents are fairly high here, and property prices have been very slow to move down like they have elsewhere. From what I see on daft, I wouldn't pay the 1300/1350 per month for two beds that properties are going for. Not worth it IMO.

If you want to know more let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

bugler wrote:
    If you are looking at living in Royal Canal Park then I'd go to Neighbours.ie and read the forum there from the beginning. From what I've read it seems less quiet than where I am (it is much more high density), and there have been a few nasty incidents :eek: You can read about Rathborne on Neighbours.ie too.

Some of those forums don't allow the bad vibes to be posted, wonder why :rolleyes:

http://neighbours.ie/dublin15/showthread.php?t=6
    'Anything posted on this forum that may cause a possible security concern will be promptly removed. There is a private section within the forum and a password can be optained be sending a PM to the moderator or myself with your Name and Address to verify that you are a resident. All securtiy sensitive topics should be discussed within the private section.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The rathborne forum has always been dead, I think they have a separate one at www.rathborne.net that is probably more active.

For what it's worth the Royal Canal Park part of neighbours.ie would look to moderated in a fairly hands-off way. The incidents I mentioned above are still there. They're fairly typical complaints about sound-proofing, loud music at parties etc, but see "Disgraceful Carry on in Compass Court North" for something a bit more bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

live here myself beside the new Superquninn, love it love it love it love it.

The Halfway House does a lovely scram for a decent price but a bit of an older crowd at night etc and like has been said all amenities around.

new pub coming soon too, tee hee.

edit: forgot to mention, excuse the negativeness, but my bike was robbed from the 'secure underground carpark' as was a lot of other bikes this night, including a motorbike.

The fella I live with, his ma's car was robbed from outside the other night and found down blackhorse ave.

But lifestyle wise I love it still :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement