Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgently need car parts

Options
  • 11-09-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've a '99 Hyundai Lantra 1.6 16v. I hit a rock a little too hard at the weekend going down a backroad and damaged the manifold/catalytic converter/exhaust head.

I need replacement parts asap.

Can anyone suggest some sources for first or second-hand parts, scrappers etc.? I'm kinda new to the whole car-parts scene.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There's a dismantlers/scrapyard about 5-8 miles out the Headford road, I've been out there a couple of times. I think this is the number. Thats the only cheap parts place I know of locally.

You could also try a Hyundai main dealer (which is probably the most expensive way possible of getting parts). Or a site like micksgarage.ie might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Nohilly's scrapyard on the Tuam Road check yellow pages for number, about 4 or 5 miles past Claregalway.
    Also try Traynor's up the north http://traynors.biz/ , I know they deliver, but I think they come down to Galway one day a week.....I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tried Monaghan's, new prices are gas. If I put another grand with it I'd have a new car.
    Tried the breakers on the headford road (landline), no cat, but manifold was nicely priced.
    Waiting to call back Nohilly's, emailed Traynor's.

Don't think I'm going to get this fixed by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Traynor's come down every Wednesday, ring them tomorrow you might be in luck.

You'll also need to order gaskets for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

JohnCleary wrote:
    Traynor's
    They will tell you exactly what they have in stock too. One of the best suppliers for second hand parts in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Breakers Athenry 091 841853
    Breakers Dempseys 096 45412
    Breakers Headford Rd. 091 751148
    Breakers Nohilly 093 41602

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

SyxPak wrote:
    Tried Monaghan's, new prices are gas. If I put another grand with it I'd have a new car.
    Tried the breakers on the headford road (landline), no cat, but manifold was nicely priced.
    Second hand catalytic converters may be dead (poisoned), you won't know till you fail emissions @ NCT. Make sure whatever one you do get does not rattle. Is your Lambda sensor OK?

The lamda sensor is plugged into the side of the exhaust manifold just above where it joins to the cat. How would I tell if things are awry? Why don't cars come with proper manuals anymore?
    Fecking thing doesn't have any mouting/mating bolts, can't see how I can replace just the cat.
    I'm worried about cats from breakers alright, the 2nd hand from online places (UK only so far) ar charging about £65 for a used Cat, so they must be alright.

Tried Nohilly, crowd on Tuam Rd. past Claregalway, tried Headford Road, no joy. Some crowd from the North come down and collect all the cats. The one I need is usually cut off the manifold. I'd love to know how they re-attach one to the manifold. I'll post pics later.
    Traynor's didn't have any, which irked me.

The 97 lantra has the same manifold (it seems at least) and I *think* it has mounting bolts too, but the cat is underneath, just a fat pipe coming from the manifold down.

I think that if I can get a manifold with mounting bolts, I should be able to get a replacement cat with mounting bolts and get myself out of this jam for around 3-400euro.

In the meantime, I'm going to get some exhaust putty and plug the hole as I'm driving to Dublin tomorrow and the exhaust gases are blowing straight into the radiator. Been watching the temps, they haven't risen, but that just means there probably isn't a sensor in the rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Most breakers don't sell exhaust parts as they aren't reliable. Traynors don't sell second hand exhaust parts on principle - Nohillys will sell you their granny if you pay the asking price. If there is only a hole, can you get it welded/repaired? Bring it to one of the smaller garages around town - kilduffs on Nuns island, burbidges in liosban or that place at the back of woodquay and see will they repair it instead. Rynns on the docks will weld anything you bring down to them...

'c

After ringing this crowd:
    Nixons Car Spares
    45 Lisnaskea
    Enniskillen
    BT92 5BY
    028 6772 1737

Waiting on a callback.

• Advertisement

Most breakers don't sell exhaust parts as they aren't reliable. Traynors don't sell second hand exhaust parts on principle - Nohillys will sell you their granny if you pay the asking price. If there is only a hole, can you get it welded/repaired? Bring it to one of the smaller garages around town - kilduffs on Nuns island, burbidges in liosban or that place at the back of woodquay and see will they repair it instead. Rynns on the docks will weld anything you bring down to them...

'c

The cat is too thin, and the manifold is diecast, the 3 garages I brought it into said it wasn't worth welding, as it'd turn to sh1te.
    I picked up some exhaust weld putty + metal bracing thing. Going to be sanding it down this evening, and cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol before applying the putty. Would that do anything to the cat? Will leave the engine idle for a while to cure it.

SyxPak wrote:
    The lamda sensor is plugged into the side of the exhaust manifold just above where it joins to the cat. How would I tell if things are awry? .

Hard to test, best to take it out & look at it, see if it's contaminated, etc.
    If the wires are cut/damaged, prob best to get a new one.
    these things are delicate + they do sometimes fail (but Hyundai use good parts so you might be lucky)
    SyxPak wrote:
    Why don't cars come with proper manuals anymore? .

Do you have an account with www.hmaservice.com (the official Hyundai online service manual)? It offers technical advice & has step by step dis-assembly/assembly guides for many common parts replacement procedures.
    Not as good as a proper manual, but it's free!!
    SyxPak wrote:
    I'm worried about cats from breakers alright, the 2nd hand from online places (UK only so far) ar charging about £65 for a used Cat, so they must be alright.

No guarantees from breakers yard cats, if you want to keep the car for a few years, might be best to get a new one. €100 on a used cat that lets you down at the NCT is €100 wasted.
    SyxPak wrote:
    Tried Nohilly, crowd on Tuam Rd. past Claregalway, tried Headford Road, no joy. Some crowd from the North come down and collect all the cats. The one I need is usually cut off the manifold. I'd love to know how they re-attach one to the manifold. I'll post pics later.
    Traynor's didn't have any, which irked me.
    I bet they collect the cats for the precious metals, I suppose these can be recycled.
    SyxPak wrote:
    I think that if I can get a manifold with mounting bolts, I should be able to get a replacement cat with mounting bolts and get myself out of this jam for around 3-400euro.

Have you tried places in Liosban estate that do replacement cats, might not be too much for a new one?
    SyxPak wrote:
    In the meantime, I'm going to get some exhaust putty and plug the hole as I'm driving to Dublin tomorrow and the exhaust gases are blowing straight into the radiator. Been watching the temps, they haven't risen, but that just means there probably isn't a sensor in the rad.

If the hole is before the Lambda sensor it will mess up the ratios & the engine may not be running at optimum, which could wreck an OK cat (no worries if you are replacing it) so do this quick. You may find it heats up real quick in stationary traffic. If the hole is large, get one of those repair kits with the metal bands for a stronger temporary repair. If the hole is near the exhaust manifold the repair may not last, temperatures are too high except for cast iron (& lots of it)

SyxPak wrote:
    The cat is too thin, and the manifold is diecast, the 3 garages I brought it into said it wasn't worth welding, as it'd turn to sh1te.
    I picked up some exhaust weld putty + metal bracing thing. Going to be sanding it down this evening, and cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol before applying the putty. Would that do anything to the cat? Will leave the engine idle for a while to cure it.

Don't idle it for too long, see the warnings on www.hmaservice.com
    If bits of putty fall inside, will gum up the cat. Use as little as possible.
    Of more concern is contaminating the Lambda sensor with crap/silicone/oil.

I put the putty on, probably too much to be honest. The metal ring/sheathe that came with the putty wasn't big enough, and it was for fixing the exhaust pipe/silencer, so I wouldn't say it's rated for high temps.
    I fully expect the exhaust gas from the manifold to cleave straight through the putty when I start it in the morning.

I haven't ordered the part from Nixon's yet, and yeah, worried about it being knackered and failing the next NCT.
    Going to head into Advance tomorrow and see what they'll quote me. Someone I asked mentioned 300, but he didn't know the exact problem.
    Fncking manifold not having mounting bolts :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try Ballybrit Tyres on the old Monivea Road who do cheap generic cats and are a v nice bunch. They welded up a daewoo for my sister after I rang them for her and its working ever since ....cost of new cat was about €500 and no generic available at the time.

Cost of weld was €25.

I send all my female friends to them to avoid their being molested by creeps , none have ever ever complained .

Avoid Advance like the veritable biblical plague .

It can't be welded, so say 4 different garages. I need to find a replacement manifold+front cat (one piece, 90* bend from cat->front exhaust).

Just after ringing Nixon's there, no part in stock.
    Going to try Traynor's again.

I'm in Dublin this week, so can't take it anywhere in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BUDDY1116

Spread the love

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement