Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Problem

Options
  • 11-09-2007 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

hi, i am unable to connect to the internet at home, darned ntl again. the strange thing is that todays automatic updates installed without any problem. how can it be updating through the internet when i cant get on using any of the 5 browsers i have installed. have tried everything to see if the problem is at my end but nothing was found in normal or safemode. network connections are also fine,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

hi, i am unable to connect to the internet at home, darned ntl again. the strange thing is that todays automatic updates installed without any problem. how can it be updating through the internet when i cant get on using any of the 5 browsers i have installed.

5 browsers? :eek:

Sounds like something is blocking port 80. Can you ping, say, www.boards.ie or www.ireland.com?

What security software do you have installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hi tom, yeah i put on 5 just in case one got corrupted. the strange thing is that the connection went down while i was online, its not down to any error on my part. ive got spybot, ad-aware, avg anti-spyware, and spywareblaster. ran scans in both normal and safe and nothing changed.

Can you try the pings above an let us know how they go.

Also, apart from the Windows firewall, do you have any other type of firewall?

I have come across a case identical to yours on an Eircom account where everything bar the web browser could connect - it was Eircom's fault in the end, so it could be NTL in your case.

no just windows firewall. got rid of comodo last week. how do i ping again. its strange that the connection went down suddenly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Did you reboot your router?

• Advertisement

no just windows firewall. got rid of comodo last week. how do i ping again. its strange that the connection went down suddenly

Start->Run->cmd (press enter)

in the black box enter ping www.iol.ie

thanks tom ill give that a shot and report back, cheers.

khannie, i dont have a router but i have rebooted the modem countless times, im 99.9% sure that its a problem with ntl, i just need to eliminate all other possible causes.

thanks to you both

problem solved, it was at ntl's end, something about bad nodes, thanks for the help guys

Advertisement