Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questions on right turns

Options
  • 11-09-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My test is in about 2 weeks. I've been getting a few lessons etc but I'm not sure about one thing. I asked my instructor, but I'm still not conviced by his answer. Question is:

If I'm turning right and there's a white box with the right arrow in it, and I'm second in the queue, what is the procedure? The car ahead should go into the box, but I follow him or wait behind the line?

Similarly I'm second in queue when turning right and there's a yellow hatched box? Is it the same thing?

Would really appreciate an answer to this as I'm determined to pass!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

When you are 2nd in the queue, and the first car is occupying the white box, you wait behind the line. If and when the 1st car completes his turn, and the lights are still in your favour, then you move forward into the box. If the way is clear, obviously you do not have to wait in the box, you complete the turn in one move.
    Similarly at a junction where you are turning right, and there is no 'white box', and you are the 1sr car, you move forward and take up a position to make the turn, providing it is safe to do so etc. Likewise, 2nd car waits behind the line.
    If you are waiting to turn, 1st in the queue, and the lights begin to change, providing it is safe to do so, you complete the turn. You have gone beyond the stop line at the junction, and therefore are beyond the point of no return.
    There is a slight delay between your light turning amber & red, and the opposing traffic getting a green light. This enables you to complete the turn. Make it known that you are looking into the road you are about to turn into, so you are aware of any pedestrians etc who may be crossing.
    Same goes for yellow box junctions.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Cheers thats great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 roots

my understanding was that you could enter the box providing your intended exit is empty... why can you just not follow the first car already in the box if you're 2nd in the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

roots wrote:
    my understanding was that you could enter the box providing your intended exit is empty... why can you just not follow the first car already in the box if you're 2nd in the queue?
    That would have been my understanding also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ cos u just cant. tc20 explained it very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

because if you followed the car in the box, and the lights went red he would complete his turn but by the time you approach the box, the opposite lights will have turned green and you would be obstructing the flow of traffic.

Advertisement