Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 325i SE - am I mad to get one?!

Options
  • 11-09-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi all,

test drove an e90 325iSE today and really liked it. I havent been a fan of the BMW looks wise but I like the interior and of course the drive. This one had all the usual SE trimmings + leather. It was a really nice place to be. I had been looking at getting a GTI but they just arent doing it for me. mostly because I have come from a few VW's / Audis and it is more of the same (albeit with a fab engine).

The thing is, I know I could shift the GTI handily enough when the time comes but what about the 325? Arent too many on Carzone so is there a market for them?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A 2.5 will be harder to shift but the old e30 has a definite cult following. I said CULT! :p If its in good order with history you'll sell it. You will just need to advertise it in the right places.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this thing of not being able to sell larger engined cars is a load of tosh in my experience,

anyone into cars and bmws in particular wouldnt look at the 4cyl engines, i have owned an e46 3 series coupe with the 2.5 litre engine and had no trouble selling it and getting a very good price, i now drive a 3 litre petrol 5 series saloon.

if you are buying one make sure the spec will be desirable when you goto sell, therefore leather, multi fn steering wheel and the sport spec would be the most desirable.

also coupes are easier to shift than saloons normally.

to your original qn, you would be mad to buy a smaller engine in the e90

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

I have agree with cyrus...if you have ever driven both the 4 pot and 6 pot engines you will know there is a vast difference between the 2 engines. I currently drive an e46 323 having had 3 318's in the past and although it is heavier on petrol I couldn't go back to the 4 cyl. The 6 cyl is just too much fun to drive. There is definitely a market for the 325. I would suggest that you get the msport if your budget will stretch. This variant is more inclined to sway people when it comes time to sell. I say go for it..i'm holding out until next year to buy one...can't wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote:
    this thing of not being able to sell larger engined cars is a load of tosh in my experience,

So long as you buy at the right price to being with...

i suppose but the right spec will also help shift it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

thanks for replies lads. No its not a m sport but it has v good spec...the more I think about it the more I want it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The thing about BMW options is that the ones that really add to the car are worth very little at resale. If you're buying with an eye to resale, the choice is to either do without a lot of nice things or dramatically increase your depreciation. A nice spec on a 325i can cost well over €10,000, and that's before you get into leather, power seats, M packs etc. Of that 10k, you'd be lucky to see 2 back after 3 years, IMO.

Anan1 wrote:
    The thing about BMW options is that the ones that really add to the car are worth very little at resale. If you're buying with an eye to resale, the choice is to either do without a lot of nice things or dramatically increase your depreciation. A nice spec on a 325i can cost well over €10,000, and that's before you get into leather, power seats, M packs etc. Of that 10k, you'd be lucky to see 2 back after 3 years, IMO.

yep forgot to mention its an '05 so its taken a fair whack of depreciation already

Anan1 wrote:

i dont agree, sports pack and leather seats will make the car a lot easier to sell at a strong price, a cloth seated standard car will be very difficult to shift

speedfreak wrote:
    yep forgot to mention its an '05 so its taken a fair whack of depreciation already
    Then go for the best-specced car you can find!:)
    Cyrus wrote:
    i dont agree, sports pack and leather seats will make the car a lot easier to sell at a strong price, a cloth seated standard car will be very difficult to shift
    True, and that's fine if you're happy with a basic car with those two options. Personally though, I think the sports packs look tacky and the leather used in the E90 feels like it came out of the back of the ILAC centre. The truly useful options, the ones that make the car a nicer place to be, don't come cheap and don't hold their value. All of which is, of course, good news for the second owner.

• Advertisement

i cant comment on the leather but the sports pack adds more than just a few spoilers and makes the car handle like the sport saloon its marketed as

what options do you believe make the car a nicer place btw? just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I don't think I'd buy a non-sport BMW, and there are alot of people out there who feel the same. I wouldnt buy a 5 series without leather, but I'd consider a 3 series without it, as they are fairly easy to shift without it.

I specced a 320d for my dear mother at the start of this year. She keeps her cars for 8-10 years, so depreciation isn't really an issue. We started with a 320dSE, and added: Metallic paint (€1,075), auto (€3,005), badge delete, (€0), grad tint windscreen (€105), luggage compartment pack (€415), mats (€145), auto dim & fold mirrors (€355), sports seats (€860), lumbar (€415), seat heating (€515), sliding front armrest (€215), PDC front (€575), adaptive headlights (€1,990), bluetooth (€1,075), Logic7 HiFi (€1,645), DAB radio (€575), smoker delete (€0) That's €12,000 or thereabouts. What would it add to the value of the car after 3 years? Little enough, i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

buy it and be damned... buy it for yourself and not the next fella.

My dad always tells me that the man who'll buy that car off you isn't dead yet and

You're obviously not short a bob or 2 so get it if you want it and the worst case scenario is you'll have to knock off a few more quid than you'd like when it comes time to sell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    I specced a 320d for my dear mother at the start of this year. She keeps her cars for 8-10 years, so depreciation isn't really an issue. We started with a 320dSE, and added: Metallic paint (€1,075), auto (€3,005), badge delete, (€0), grad tint windscreen (€105), luggage compartment pack (€415), mats (€145), auto dim & fold mirrors (€355), sports seats (€860), lumbar (€415), seat heating (€515), sliding front armrest (€215), PDC front (€575), adaptive headlights (€1,990), bluetooth (€1,075), Logic7 HiFi (€1,645), DAB radio (€575), smoker delete (€0) That's €12,000 or thereabouts. What would it add to the value of the car after 3 years? Little enough, i'd imagine.

Nothing id say! It would be financial suicide to sell that car after 3 years!

Anan1 wrote:
    Indeed you are correct but thats because, with all due respect, apart from the auto option and possibly PDC and bluetooth the rest aren't seen as desirable options..

Leather, sports pack, bluetooth and auto are all things that make a car much easier to sell. Look at the premium that "sport" models command over the normal ones, nearly the same as the difference when new, and you end up with a much nicer car for the duration of ownership.

When I went looking for my 530d, my choice came down to two cars:
    A non-sport model in black with leather and 80k on the clock
    and a sport model in silver with leather, bluetooth and 85k on the clock.

There was a €5000 difference in price, I went for the sport model without a doubt in my head, even though I had originally wanted a black car. My sport model was also a bargain in the market, so it shows that some options definitely can hold their value and increase selling speed.

This is exactly what i'm saying. People buying used BMWs want options like leather and M packs, primarily I believe, because buying a used BMW is about making a social statement. The options that other people can't see, but that make it nicer to actually use the car are therefore worth very little at resale. Good if you want a showy car, bad if you want a usable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bonham23 wrote:
    I have agree with cyrus...if you have ever driven both the 4 pot and 6 pot engines you will know there is a vast difference between the 2 engines. I currently drive an e46 323 having had 3 318's in the past and although it is heavier on petrol I couldn't go back to the 4 cyl. The 6 cyl is just too much fun to drive. There is definitely a market for the 325. I would suggest that you get the msport if your budget will stretch. This variant is more inclined to sway people when it comes time to sell. I say go for it..i'm holding out until next year to buy one...can't wait:)

I think that it would be wiser to buy a Coupé version if buying a 6 pot 3 series.

There is definately a market for 6 pot 3 series out there(theres a heck of a lot more of a market for a 6 pot Beemr than a 6 pot Audi, Merc etc).

But people who want the badge will buy a saloon, a 4 pot saloon.

People who want a good car will buy the 6pot. But people who like cars are much more likely to buy a Coupé model. A Coupé with a 6 pot engine should sell well. Any E90-E93 3 series I've seen with a 6 pot engine is either the E92(Coupé) or the E93(Coupé-Cabrio) in this country(on the continent, 6 cylinder E90s/E91s are a lot more common, especially diesels). Anytime I've checked carzone for a 6 pot E90-E93 3 series, its roughly 90% of the time an E92 or E93, usually an E92. The 6 pot models are distinguished by the chrome slits in the double kidney grille, in addittion, the 325s have twin exhausts at the left which are matt, the 330s have twin exhausts on the left which are chrome in colour, and the 335s have twin chrome exhausts, one on either side, but not at the extreme left/right like the 325s and 330s have.
    4 pot petrol 3 series have a single squareish exhaust, 4 pot diesels have a single exhaust which is narrower(than the 4 pot petrol's) and the pipe is downturned.

Anan1 wrote:
    This is exactly what i'm saying. People buying used BMWs want options like leather and M packs, primarily I believe, because buying a used BMW is about making a social statement. The options that other people can't see, but that make it nicer to actually use the car are therefore worth very little at resale. Good if you want a showy car, bad if you want a usable one.

It doesn't really verify your point that it's what you're saying. Seeing as the 530d Sport is the top of the range 5 series, it gets PDC, auto headlights, mats, auto dim mirrors, sport seats, sliding armrest, all as standard. Car has metallic paint, bluetooth and leather as factory fit options.

So basically all that it doesnt have that you specced is lumbar support (something I wanted, but choice is sparse), auto (something I most definitely didn't want), logic 7 hifi (oh dear, 1645 is awful VFM), DAB radio (dont see the need) and luggage compartment pack (no need for this).

The above things, with the exception of automatic transmission and lumbar support, are hardly things that make the car easier to live with.

As for you writing off the Sport pack as showy and to impress people - do you drive and do you enjoy driving? I'm 23, coming from driving an e30 with all of the best suspension modifications etc, and ultimately, the sport offers a much improved driving experience - that's why I went for the sport model. Anyone can add alloys to a car if they want to "impress".

I fail to see how leather, bluetooth and a sports kit makes the car less useable - if it did, no one would buy them, thus they wouldn't command a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

getting back to the original point.The op was worried about the resale on a 325. If its a 05 you are going to keep the car for at least 3 years right?. by which time you will have gotten 3 years of motoring fun out of it and a large chunk of the depreciation will have been absorbed by the previous owner.In 3 years time the price of the 325 will have a far bigger buying audience as the price will have dropped enough to make it obtainable to you average punter ..like myself :D . In short I think it is always a good move to buy these cars when they are a couple of years old...but not too old unless you are know a bit about replacing suspension components :)

• Advertisement

commited wrote:
    It doesn't really verify your point that it's what you're saying. Seeing as the 530d Sport is the top of the range 5 series,
    It's not, it's a mid-range model.
    commited wrote:
    it gets PDC, auto headlights, mats, auto dim mirrors, sport seats, sliding armrest, all as standard. Car has metallic paint, bluetooth and leather as factory fit options.
    I'm afraid not - front PDC, adaptive headlights, auto dim & fold mirrors are all extra-cost options.
    commited wrote:
    As for you writing off the Sport pack as showy and to impress people - do you drive and do you enjoy driving?
    I most certainly do. I've driven the E90 both with & without the M pack. On Irish roads, lowered suspension and big wheels just slow a car down.
    commited wrote:
    I fail to see how leather, bluetooth and a sports kit makes the car less useable - if it did, no one would buy them, thus they wouldn't command a premium price.
    You don't have to, that's not what I said.:)

bonham23 wrote:
    getting back to the original point.The op was worried about the resale on a 325. If its a 05 you are going to keep the car for at least 3 years right?. by which time you will have gotten 3 years of motoring fun out of it and a large chunk of the depreciation will have been absorbed by the previous owner.In 3 years time the price of the 325 will have a far bigger buying audience as the price will have dropped enough to make it obtainable to you average punter ..like myself :D . In short I think it is always a good move to buy these cars when they are a couple of years old...but not too old unless you are know a bit about replacing suspension components :)
    thanks for that (not that I dont find the options debate interesting..!) I think youve summed up v.well how I feel about it. I'll prob keep it for a couple of years...really like the new A5;) ...Big deprec. hit taken already. Little(er) hit to come... 2 years motoring fun.

OP - if you can get hold of a well-specified 325i at a good price, I think you'll be very happy with it. As a used buyer, my point is working in your favour.:)

Anan1 wrote:
    It's not, it's a mid-range model.
    I meant to say top spec - the sport model is better specced than the SE.
    I'm afraid not - front PDC, adaptive headlights, auto dim & fold mirrors are all extra-cost options.
    No they aren't. I have the original sales docket here, and the only specced options are metallic paint, bluetooth, CD player ( :rolleyes: ) and leather. My mirrors dont auto fold however, but they auto dim and I definitely have front PDC and auto headlights.
    I most certainly do. I've driven the E90 both with & without the M pack. On Irish roads, lowered suspension and big wheels just slow a car down.
    I've never found that the lowered suspension is any hassle, and my car has 17" wheels which are hardly big in this day and age.
    You don't have to, that's not what I said.:)
    Ahh but you did:
    People buying used BMWs want options like leather and M packs, primarily I believe, because buying a used BMW is about making a social statement. *snip* Good if you want a showy car, bad if you want a usable one.

Bottom line - I see where you're point as far as there aren't enough BMWs out there with decent specs - I couldn't find a 530d sport with lumbar support and I was looking for 2 months. Very few cars had bluetooth and alot just had the bare minimum spec, perhaps with leather and some stupid options added.

Out of interest, on the options - was there much of a discount?

Have a look at the car configurator on www.bmw.ie, it'll confirm what i'm telling you. A standard 530d Sport isn't a top spec model, as I said it's a mid-range 5 series (still a fine car, of course). Auto headlights and adaptive headlights are two very different things. When I said 'bad if you want a usable one', I meant that the options I indicated are very expensive over a 3 year term from new, because they retain so little value.

With regard to the lowered suspension thing, my own car came from the factory with 18" wheels. As you say, this is hardly remarkable on a big car in this day and age. That said, it'd be a lot faster and more relaxing to drive on 16"s. I'm keeping the 18"s out of a combination of laziness and not wanting to lose my license.

To answer your last question, the discount on the car including options was a measly €2,000. And believe me when I tell you that I shopped around.;)

Mines an e39, not an e60 (not a big fan), so I can see where the wires got crossed. As I said I have the sales receipt here and they are the options :)
    Also, on the e39, the 530d sport is the top "spec" as far as you cant get a higher specced 530d. I'm aware there was a 540i, but this had the "sport" trim as standard, so was basically the same spec. I'm not including the M5 as that's a whole different kettle of fish!

I didn't want a car with 18s due to road noise and the price of tyres, 17s are grand. I dont think switching to 16" wheels would automatically make you lose your license!

She did well to get €2000 off from what I hear of BMW dealerships. The previous owner got 4 grand off my car but thats because it was a pre-specced model at the end of its design life!

well lads, did the deed today and went with the 325! was also looking at 320d but preferred the drive of the petrol. chrome really finishes off the exterior nicely and interior is georgeous. there isnt a mark on it so fairplay to previous owner! Thanks to all for input.

ps if anyone fancies a 325 in a couple of years keep in touch!

Congrats - where did you buy it from?

Pics are needed!

commited wrote:
    Mines an e39, not an e60 (not a big fan), so I can see where the wires got crossed. As I said I have the sales receipt here and they are the options :)
    Also, on the e39, the 530d sport is the top "spec" as far as you cant get a higher specced 530d. I'm aware there was a 540i, but this had the "sport" trim as standard, so was basically the same spec. I'm not including the M5 as that's a whole different kettle of fish!

I didn't want a car with 18s due to road noise and the price of tyres, 17s are grand. I dont think switching to 16" wheels would automatically make you lose your license!

She did well to get €2000 off from what I hear of BMW dealerships. The previous owner got 4 grand off my car but thats because it was a pre-specced model at the end of its design life!

An E39 Irish spec 530d with front PDC, adaptive headlights, auto dim & fold mirrors as standard:eek: ?

I really don't believe that, unless its not an Irish spec model.

I actually happen to have an E39 brouchure which confirms that they were options, admittedly it says its for the German market, but Irish spec BMWs were always the same spec as German spec models; in Germany even today, BMWs come with a pittance as standard, 4 cylinder 1 series don't have aircon(bar the 123d, a mid spec(ES) 1 series has aircon here and a top spec has Climate Control(SE/MSport), no German 3 series bar the M3 has Climate Control(all 6 pot and SE/M Sport 3 series here have it), a 2 litre Z4 doesn't have an electric softop or aircon(electric softop and climate control are standard on all Irish spec Z4s).

Irish spec E39s came with leccy windows, mirrors,alloys and foggies(except for the 520i, which made do without fog lights and alloys til the car got facelifted in late 00), aircon after 99, tape player(CD player in later years I think) and thats it really.

Among the options for the E39 was the sport pack - it wasn't even sold as a standard model liuke it is today.

We didn't get SE never mind Sport versions till 04(I think it was then, but it was whenever BMW took over importing cars themselves here from Motor Import Ireland Ltd), and the E60 was there by then.

V8 E39s here had the eqivalent of the UK SE spec from what I remember, which had Climate Control, larger alloys, trip computer and metallic paint too AFAIR. I don't even think that V8 E39s even had the autoheadlights, PDC and auto dimming mirrors as standard.

• Advertisement

speedfreak wrote:
    well lads, did the deed today and went with the 325! was also looking at 320d but preferred the drive of the petrol. chrome really finishes off the exterior nicely and interior is georgeous. there isnt a mark on it so fairplay to previous owner! Thanks to all for input.

ps if anyone fancies a 325 in a couple of years keep in touch!

Congrats. The E90 is a lovely car anyway, never driven one, but a pleasure to be driven in, hopefully you will enjoy the lovely growl the 6 pot engine makes when you give it a few revs:D .

What is it? Is it an E90(Saloon), E91(Touring), E92(Coupé) or E93(Coupé-Cabrio)?

Advertisement