Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Van purchase in the UK - VRT and Tax

Options
  • 11-09-2007 4:55pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    If I was to purchase a new van in the UK what would I be due to pay as regards VAT and VRT etc?

I understand the VRT is 50 euro, but what about VAT?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

VRT is only 50 euro if it is for a VAT registered company!!

All you have to pay is the VRT and not VAT because the UK charge the same level of VAT. You cannot be charged VAT twice on the same item within the EU from what I remember!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Are u sure about that Jonnie about the VAT and the VRT? I thought it was across the board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I will email one of the lads I worked with in Revenue later and see if he can give me a definate but I am pretty sure thats how it works!

"11. What are the VRT Categories and the appropriate current rates of VRT?

The legal definition for each VRT Category is defined in Section 130 of the Finance Act, 1992 as amended. Further legal definitions in relation to VRT are contained in S.I. 318 of 1992. Please note that the following information is not a legal definition of the various VRT Categories. If you are in any doubt or require assistance on this or any other VRT matter, you should contact your local Vehicle Registration Office. Details of these offices may be found at www.revenue.ie/cont_main.htm

VRT Category C

Examples of Category C vehicles include certain commercial vehicles, agricultural tractors and minibuses with at least 12 permanently fitted passenger seats.

The VRT rate applicable to Category C vehicles is a flat rate of €50.

13. When is VAT chargeable and payable?

In the case of a new means of transport i.e. land vehicles (excluding agricultural tractors) that were supplied six months or less after the date of first entry into service or have travelled 6,000 Kilometres or less, VAT is chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State, even where there is evidence, e.g. an invoice, that VAT was paid in the country of purchase.

VAT is also chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State of vehicles (both new and used) that are imported from outside the fiscal territory of the EU."

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Once & vehicle is less than 3 months old & with less than a specified no of km on the clock it is treated as new & is eligable for VAT as well as VRT. The normal practice when purchasing is to state that the vehicle is for export, & purchase the vehicle excluding VAT from the dealer. On arrival here VAT is paid along with whatever VRT on registration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So VAT would have to be paid on top of the price in the UK. Not VAT registered so that shoots that down!

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Having checked this out a couple of times for differernt companies on different model Transits, when all is taken in to account it's actually cheaper to buy Vans in Ireland than it is in the UK - that's taking in to account the currency conversion and the cost of VAT / VRT. As you'd also have to reclaim the UK VAT @ 17.5% and pay Irish VAT @ 21% you'd be mad to consider going to the UK.

Advertisement