Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

utorrent slowing down my broadband wtf !

• 11-09-2007 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I use utorrent and it really slows down internet use for some reason, even if it's only downloading at 5kb/s, page loading takes alot longer, is this a well known issue ? anything I can do besides turning it off ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is there a limit on your upload speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yeah it's 10 k up, it's not the amount of traffic that slows it down it must just be something about the way the program works- it's strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've found the same with azureus and bitcomet too. They do sometimes make a very large number of connections even when the download rate is quite low which might be a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Windows has limits on the max number of new connections allowed per second. Also broadband routers have a limit too on the number of concurrent connections they can handle.

These numbers generally aren't advertised as manufacturers don't expect people to hit these limits. But run an aggressive P2P or torrent client and you can find yourself hitting this wall.

For my own experience I know that Limewire and Azureus do hit the max number of allowed new connection attempts limit from time to time on windows. Shows up in the event log as TCP/IP error or warning.

Also my last broadband router would sometimes not allow me to connect. A few hair pulling and WTF moments trying to understand it. As a second computer is happily connected. Seems the router simply didn't have a single free connection available. (Got a new router)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Generally speaking limiting download to below the max on your line and limiting upload to below the max on your line should sort you out nicely :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Are you using Vista? My internet was unusable when I used uTorrent in Vista. Maybe try "netsh tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" from the command line if you are using Vista.

yah am using vista, what will netsh tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled do ? will that stop or slow utorrent ?

dorsanty makes alot of sense i think it must be the router because it slows down my dads internet as well and he is on another pc, probably nothing can be done about it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

autotuninglevel being enabled can cauee alot of problems with different applications on Vista depending on make and model of router being used

as such its often worth trying to disable it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you go through the settings in uTorrent it lets you put limits on the number of connections it uses and stuff like that. I think that for a lot of the limits it even lets you set time ranges

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote:
    If you go through the settings in uTorrent it lets you put limits on the number of connections it uses and stuff like that. I think that for a lot of the limits it even lets you set time ranges

so it does, it's currently set at 250, I can see how that would slow things down, i'll cut it back a bit, thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

MooseJam wrote:
    so it does, it's currently set at 250, I can see how that would slow things down, i'll cut it back a bit, thanks for that :)

i have utorrent running on a different pc on the network and it still can cause slowdowns

i limited it to 100 conections max and 8kb/s up and its fine now, and it still downloads at full speed without hogging webbrowsing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I always wondered this actually....well, now I know.

Advertisement