Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would I go about petitioning the city to erect a statue?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Serious question, how would this be done, and what kind of support would be needed?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Serious question, how would this be done, and what kind of support would be needed?

Thanks for any help.

I'd say give Galway County Council a shout.
    Probably be some form of petition involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

What statue you want to get erected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Serious question

Aw, and i was all ready to go with my razor-sharp wit :(

I suppose you would need to get the support of some fellow Galwegians, talking to a few of the local rags wouldn't hurt either. You would need to get permission from the council, no idea where to get funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It would be the City Council mate.

I would advise you meet your local Councillor or a Councillor that would support your statue before going through spending time on a petition.

Planning Permission would be involved. You would probably have to have an idea of the scale/size and material of the statue. Have you a proposed location; Street or Park. Who will pay for the statue to be made, installed and maintained?

Do you want to share with us your idea to get further opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Thanks for the answers guys.
    What statue you want to get erected?
    sgthighway wrote:
    Do you want to share with us your idea to get further opinions?

I wasn't going to say incase anyone thought I was taking the piss about this, but my hope is to get a statue of Richard Dean Anderson erected somewhere in the city center, possibly shop street.

• Advertisement

Magyver?

In Galway? I see the connection

Seriously though

Why not,we need a good statue.

Although I'd go for stealing this statue of a student from leuven in Belgium(Lueven is the Belgian Galway)

http://www.trabel.com/leuven/images/leuven-fonske%20nieuw.jpg

Yes, MacGyver. No, there's no connection between him and Galway, but certainly, I agree that we do need a good statue, and I think it would be interesting to have something that would represent certain timeless aspects of pop culture; Richard Dean Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Serious Question
    MacGyver

:rolleyes:

DRakE wrote:
    :rolleyes:

DO NOT MOCK ME!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tis obviously going to be a statue of KD

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    Tis obviously going to be a statue of KD

Not a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just give City Hall a ring, and ask them who would you speak to about an erection ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just give City Hall a ring, and ask them who would you speak to about an erection ...

... And then they'll forward you warty Nora's number... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

I'd rather see a statue of Teal'c (Christopher Judge) holding a Jaffa staff weapon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

AH man im in stiches in an internet cafe here looking like a fool.

I personally would love to see that statue in the middle of eyre square. Would just be so pointless and funny.

On a serious note of you ever want this thing to make even the smallest bit of headway you need to come up with a very good reason why you want a statue of Anderson in galway. I mean seriously they would probably take you more seriously if you wanted to put up a statue of hitler or something.

Would be funny having 4 members of SG1 surrounding the fountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

DO NOT MOCK ME!!! :mad:

when you come out with stuff like that it's physically impossible not to:D

It sounds like something Homer would do.

Petitioning city hall to erect a statue of such a random thing.

I think a statue of Nora giving a piggyback to KD whilst he blows bubbles would be a timeless symbol of Galwegian individuality and humour.

But seriously,why not.I love the idea of putting up a statue of Magyver for no real reason,it'd putGalway on the map for sure and the toursits would flock to see such a strange spectacle of an American tv star in a small Western Irish city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why not try and buy the city a drink first, ya know loosen it up....sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I think a statue of Nora giving a piggyback to KD whilst he blows bubbles would be a timeless symbol of Galwegian individuality and humour.

As much as I love Richard Dean Anderson... that would rock my socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But seriously,why not.I love the idea of putting up a statue of Magyver for no real reason,it'd putGalway on the map for sure and the toursits would flock to see such a strange spectacle of an American tv star in a small Western Irish city
    Well, the statue of Frank Zappa in Uzupis in Vilnius gets enough visitors, and it's not even in a park or anything, and quite out of the way really.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    ... And then they'll forward you warty Nora's number... :eek:
    No, John, in this case Karl is trying to GET an erection ... now, if he wanted to instantly get rid of one, that would be different ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement