Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back to MPH?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Looks like we will be able to go back to mph now, miles have exemption now from being phased out by the EU...

EC abandons end to imperial measures

The European Commission has said it has abandoned plans to end the use of imperial measurements in the UK and Ireland.

Ton Van Lierop, spokesman for the EU's Industry Commissioner, Guenter Verheugen, said the end of an exemption allowing limited use of the pint, the mile and the troy ounce, which was due at the end of 2009, would not now be implemented.

EU-wide use of uniform metric measurements dates from 1980 - years after Britain and Ireland decided to move to the metric system for most purposes.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0911/metric.html?rss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

We wont go back to MPH though. Maybe this was referring to the UK and Northern Ireland?

Re your sig, was VRT only introduced in 1992?!?!?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Looks like we will be able to go back to mph now, miles have exemption now from being phased out by the EU...

The European Commission has said it has abandoned plans to end the use of imperial measurements in the UK and Ireland.

Ton Van Lierop, spokesman for the EU's Industry Commissioner, Guenter Verheugen, said the end of an exemption allowing limited use of the pint, the mile and the troy ounce, which was due at the end of 2009, would not now be implemented.

EU-wide use of uniform metric measurements dates from 1980 - years after Britain and Ireland decided to move to the metric system for most purposes.

So are you saying all the road signs should be put back to miles? Or is it just related to the cars them selfs?

I much prefer it in metric.

Metric all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

One of the things people should never do with the passage of time is to go backwards.

Going to mph is exactly that. Backwards.

However, I'm delighted that the EC have made their decision in one sense, because we can still use mpg, and I don't know what litres per 100 km are. I don't even think there is a conversion,(certainly not one which can be used as an approximation; like the 5 miles = 8 km scenario) because litres per 100 km get smaller when mpg get bigger.

Perhaps carmakers will now supply fuel consumption data in mpg(nobody seems to do this anymore bar Opel and Toyota), give power in bhp(most do, but BMW for some reason don't; this I cant understand because even properly metric countries like Germany still use bhp(well PS really, but its so close to bhp that the difference is virtually non existant). I could never understand why most of them got rid of fuel consumption figures in mpg anyway(unless saving a couple of centimetres of ink per brouchure is that important)

I still think in miles and mph, I understand kilometres, I normally do speeds(of cars) in km/h because we have km/h for almost 3 years, but it would be stupid, backward and impossible to go back to mph, because cars in kilometres dont have mph on the speedo.

On the other hand, this will mean that any hope of the UK(or even NI) adopting km/h on the roads will be postponed forever perhaps, which is a nucince because of the fact our cars have km/h only now.

We really should have stuck with mph on the roads for this reason.
    But just because we changed over to km/h is no reason to now go back to mph. Its certainly better for us when we're abroad to be using km/h anyway.

Basically what I'm saying is that while I don't want to/don't have to go forwards, I don't want to go backwards either:D .

And the reason that people are giving out about this decision are those who want to go Brit-bashing anyway-if Britain went metric in the morning, they'd want to use customary units, so as to be different from the Brits.

As we do most of our trade with the Brits and the US, it makes sense for us to at least understand the old fashioned system; we don't have to use it(and as 95% of the world uses metric, thats the one we most certainly should use), but we should have some kind of understanding of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

commited wrote:
    Re your sig, was VRT only introduced in 1992?!?!?!

Yes! It was excise duty before that. How old are you, can you shave yet?

Mike.

Basically the same structure, just a different name?

I would have been 8 in 92, so hardly was at the tax office then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

commited wrote:
    Basically the same structure, just a different name?

I would have been 8 in 92, so hardly was at the tax office then...

Well at one stage there was a system where only cars built in Ireland could be sold here with similar Stalinist VRT style taxation, this is how Ford got into the country, I think it was Pre EU times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As for liters/100 km

as the name says, it indicates how many liters of fuel your car will need to drive a distance of 100 km.

Now that the pumps are in liters and most speedos and odometers are in km it's actually easier to calculate than mpg ...it just doesn't mean a lot to people that are used to mpg

(same as KW means nothing to people who are used to hp)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think this ruling is more relevant to weights and volume measurements. The UK's traders have been very reluctant to get rid of pounds (weight) , feet, pints, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think this ruling is more relevant to weights and volume measurements. The UK's traders have been very reluctant to get rid of pounds (weight) , feet, pints, etc.

Maybe they have a point - look what happened when we got the Euro!!:)

peasant wrote:
    As for litres/100 km

as the name says, it indicates how many litres of fuel your car will need to drive a distance of 100 km.

Now that the pumps are in liters and most speedos and odometers are in km it's actually easier to calculate than mpg ...it just doesn't mean a lot to people that are used to mpg

(same as KW means nothing to people who are used to hp)

But its different for you - you come from a country that used litres per 100km for the best part of 60 years. Ye do everything metric for well over 20 years. I have old Geramn textbooks from the(early) 80s and the only old fashioned thing it said the Germans used was Pfunden(Pounds). Everything else was metres/litres etc. How many Germans would know what ''Gallonenmeilen'' are for instance, even people who are 70+? Or even any part of the old fashioned system apart from Zollen(and thats because wheel sizes are done in inches even to this day) and Pfunden? And I doubt that unless it was people in their 60s+ that they would even know what Pounds(the weight) are.

We always used miles, and naturally as follows, miles per gallon. It is definately a case of whatever one is used to. I don't understand litres/100km, because even though I know what it is, I have no idea what it is in mpg. I thought that I would have to know what it was, but now that the EU says the old fashioned system can stay indefinately, why should I bother changing? I notice that almost everyone who posts on Motors uses mpg(apart from those who say they are from a country that has used the metric system for yonks). Even 3 years after km/h, it is still very common for Irish people to use mph(myself included, though I normally try to use km/h). I would always say that the distance from A to B is X miles. Most cars are not in km anyways, its only cars after 05 and with the amounts of people importing cars from the UK, there are more than a few post 05 cars which are still in miles as a result.(and if people can't read km/h on the speedo of a car in mph they shouldn't be driving)

On the other hand, I would never talk about CO2 in anything other than g/km, why, because when CO2 ratings were introduced, they were only introduced in g/km, so there was never a need to convert, because they only ever introduced it in metric anyway.

• Advertisement

Yup, I still work in mpg. I have no idea if 5.2l/100km is good or not, but I know that when I'm getting anything over 45mpg, I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

commited wrote:
    Yup, I still work in mpg. I have no idea if 5.2l/100km is good or not, but I know that when I'm getting anything over 45mpg, I'm happy!

Just think high is bad, low is good.
    I'm happy with 9l/100km (approx 26/27mpg) cos I don't pay for the petrol ;), now say if that changed (please god no!) then I'd be looking for 7l/100km (about 34mpg) and if my wife has the car then I know I'll be getting 6l/100km (about 40mpg).

I'm lucky cos my car has a mph/kmph button which changes all the displays, so I like most of ye use mpg too, I do have an idea of what my l/100km will be though.

for reference (all approx):
    5l/100km = 47mpg
    6l/100km = 40mpg
    7l/100km = 34mpg
    8l/100km = 29mpg
    9l/100km = (you're driving too fast :) ) 26mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mph/kmph button eh?

Merc?

colm_mcm wrote:
    mph/kmph button eh?

Merc?

Honda Civic
    Only dial is rpm, all others are digital, so button will change all readings (cept rpm obviously) to miles or km. Handy for when I drive up north.

My car has a mpg/l/km button but I just leave it in mpg. No one ever asks me how many l/km I'm getting, but mpg is asked :p

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

There's a converter tool here

Seems you divide 235 by the l/100km to give mpg.

Damn, I always thought you divide 270.
    My car is thirstier than I thought :(

It BeeMee wrote:
    There's a converter tool here

Seems you divide 235 by the l/100km to give mpg.

Damn, I always thought you divide 270.
    My car is thirstier than I thought :(

I always carry a calculator in the car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I know how difficult l/100 km must seem ...i still can't get my head around mpg after ten years.

but ...just out of interest ...where do ye get the gallons from ...there's only liters indicated on the pump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm just glad I won't be getting any more of the funny looks I got when I went to the hardware shop looking for a 0.9144 meter brush.

I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

peasant wrote:
    but ...just out of interest ...where do ye get the gallons from ...there's only liters indicated on the pump
    Multiply the number of litres by 1.76, because it was written on the back of 1L milk cartons ("1L - 1.76 pints") when we were kids. Then divide by 8 to get gallons. Same as we all know that there are 454g in 1lb.

Educated by dairy produce. Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

lafors wrote:
    Just think high is bad, low is good.
    I'm happy with 9l/100km (approx 26/27mpg) cos I don't pay for the petrol ;), now say if that changed (please god no!) then I'd be looking for 7l/100km (about 34mpg) and if my wife has the car then I know I'll be getting 6l/100km (about 40mpg).

I'm lucky cos my car has a mph/kmph button which changes all the displays, so I like most of ye use mpg too, I do have an idea of what my l/100km will be though.

for reference (all approx):
    5l/100km = 47mpg
    6l/100km = 40mpg
    7l/100km = 34mpg
    8l/100km = 29mpg
    9l/100km = (you're driving too fast :) ) 26mpg

very approx if you ask me! :D 5L/100km is defo not 47mpg
    its more like 56.5!
    to convert L/100km divide 282.5 by the L/100km to get MPG.

282.5 / 5.0L = 56.5 MPG..

Q.E.D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Metric all the way. I have no idea what's a good mpg rating or litres per 100km so I'm ok with using litres. The only thing I'd be outraged if the EU outlawed was the pint, but pubs would still server 568ml beverages and people would still call them pints so it'd be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The only thing I'd be outraged if the EU outlawed was the pint,
    No, you'd very soon get used to standard measures like 300ml, 500ml and 1000ml :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I prefer furlongs prer quart... can't beat fpq for working out economy.

Seroiusly, I don't think I've ever bought fuel in anything other than litres in the last 15 yrs so mpg means zip to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

How many perches are there in a rod again?

what_car wrote:
    very approx if you ask me! :D 5L/100km is defo not 47mpg
    its more like 56.5!
    to convert L/100km divide 282.5 by the L/100km to get MPG.

282.5 / 5.0L = 56.5 MPG..

Q.E.D

Not according to Google convertor and 2 others I've found.
    5 l/100km = 47.0429169 miles per gallon

Oh just realised where I'd say they are wrong, they are using an american gallon not a UK gallon.
    US Gallon = 3.785 L
    UK Gallon = 4.545 L

Feckin Amercians :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

lafors wrote:

Oh just realised where I'd say they are wrong, they are using an american gallon not a UK gallon.
    US Gallon = 3.785 L
    UK Gallon = 4.545 L

And this is why metric was introduced in the first place! It's all very well having miles and feet and pints and gallons, but if they're non-standardised then where do we stand?

As noted, the conversion is 282.351069752645/x = mpg where x is the litres/100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Tipsy Mac wrote:

This makes us look stupid,the government have wasted millions in euros of taxpayers money changing to kilometers when we could have held tight,more crawling up to the EU.
    Most of europe continues to use a form of pounds and other non metric measurments.
    http://www.bwmaonline.com/How%20Metric%20is%20Europe.htm

We can file this one along with the e-voting machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

lafors wrote:

US Gallon = 3.785 L
    UK Gallon = 4.545 L

in all fairness
    you are wrong!! not the americans you didnt cop that one!:D :D

• Advertisement

blastman wrote:
    How many perches are there in a rod again?

Whats a hunderedweight? How many whatevers are in it?
    Arent there bushels or something too?

Undoutedly the metric system is the way to go(the idea that a litre of water weighs a kilo) a metreXmetreXmetre= 1 m³= 1X10^6 litres is an awful lot better than trying to convert from cubic feet to gallons, but old habits die hard, so if anyone ever asks me for fuel consumption I'll always give mpg, if a car does 1 litre per 100 km or 50 it means nothing to me, whereas I know that 50 mpg is good, and 10 mpg is piss poor.

As for working out mpg - thats what trip computers are for :D . Anyway, people using different systems is what makes the world a different place. If we all did the same thing, then life would be very boring indeed.

If a trip computer in a car ever gives me the choice of units I want to use, I will always set it to mpg.

Why can't the metric people use kilometres per litre? As least there would be some sort of sensible(and presumably easy) conversion, just as there is for mph and km/h. I mean a gallon is about 4.5 litres, and a mile is about 1.6 km, so why cant people who use metric for fuel economy use km/l?(I've seen BMWs on youtube which have speedos in km/h and fuel economy meters in km/l, so why not?)

Advertisement