Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

LCD HD TV as Computer Monitor?

• 11-09-2007 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before...

I am considering picking up a small 19" LCD TV, something along the lines of:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/547771/art/acer/at1921-lcd-television.html

What I want to know is how good LCD TV's perform as a computer monitor? I would like t replace my big lumpy CRT with the LCD TV and simply be able to switch sources from VGA to Tuner when I want to switch from using the PC to watching the world cup.

Does anyone have experience with using an LCD TV as a monitor via VGA, and if so how is the performance?

jAH

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you'll be locked to 1280*768 resolution, no higher. Tv's also won't have as good a pic as a tv. WHat you should do, is look on komplett, they have computer monitors that have tv tuners built in, bett bet altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

With LCD monitors you'll also be locked to whatever resolution they're made for or you'll give yourself eyestrain. I've never used one of the monitors with a tuner built in, but they sound like the way to go. 1280x768 isn't that bad a resolution anyway... more than enough for most things and it certainly won't look cluttered!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

With LCD monitors you'll also be locked to whatever resolution they're made for or you'll give yourself eyestrain. I've never used one of the monitors with a tuner built in, but they sound like the way to go. 1280x768 isn't that bad a resolution anyway... more than enough for most things and it certainly won't look cluttered!

true, you'll be locked, but to a higher resolution than 1280*768, even the standard 4:3 17 and 19 inch will do 1280*1024. I've seen lcd tv's used as monitors, and never thought they looked good. have a pc hooked up to my lcd projector and it doesn't look as good as a monitor. horses for courses as the man said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

mossym wrote:
    WHat you should do, is look on komplett, they have computer monitors that have tv tuners built in, bett bet altogether

do you mean something like this one:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335110 ?

it looks the business alright, but it seems that komplett have no 19" machine which I'd prefer to get (to save a few bucks rather than for the 20"). anyone know of such a 19" monitor out there?

jAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the original monitor linked to has a resolution 1440X900

picture wise for video, it won't be great but as a monitor it should be grand

moe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭stiofain2005

Hey i was thinking of getting this tv http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337074 to use as a monitor with my laptop. I normally watch tv shows on my laptop and im just wondering what they will look like on the tv. One of my friends was saying that it wont be great so im just wondering what peoples opinions are.Will they be watchable or is it not worth getting it? I want it for my xbox 360 aswell anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

stiofain2005 it will be fine for video it's text that is sort of the problem though the scalers on VGA input have gotten better and better over time so it's not so much on an issue now.

No problems with using the Xbox 360 either.

That said when running on a HDTV it is worth making a few adjustments for better picture quality otherwise videos can look a bit washed out on the big screen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You might be better off picking up a WinTV card for your PC and a nice monitor.

Advertisement