Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish dental associations Press release!!

Options
  • 11-09-2007 7:35pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dentist.ie/resources/news/showarticle.jsp?id=594

Just saw this and thought it would be worth a discussion.Any piercers ever see more of the "extreme" health risks that they saw can happen???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

'While there have been no reported cases of Infective Endocarditis due to oral piercing in Ireland to date...'

Well then, shouldn't they be highlighting the risks that HAVE lead to cases instead of focusing on what is a relatively small risk?

I know someone who had a similar problem with her heart- she was at risk of death if she didn't floss properly. Obviously piercing is a bad idea for people with this condition, but why they need to issue a warning against something which hasn't happened yet, when they could be raising awareness for known, proven problems related to this heart condition... strikes me as a bit superfluous and sensationalist.

It was in the Examiner today as well. This means my grandmother will be ringing me later to inform me of my impending heart attack :( Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Gauge wrote:
    'While there have been no reported cases of Infective Endocarditis due to oral piercing in Ireland to date...'

Well then, shouldn't they be highlighting the risks that HAVE lead to cases instead of focusing on what is a relatively small risk?

I know someone who had a similar problem with her heart- she was at risk of death if she didn't floss properly. Obviously piercing is a bad idea for people with this condition, but why they need to issue a warning against something which hasn't happened yet, when they could be raising awareness for known, proven problems related to this heart condition... strikes me as a bit superfluous and sensationalist.

It was in the Examiner today as well. This means my grandmother will be ringing me later to inform me of my impending heart attack :( Yay

QFT. Speaking as a student cardiac technician, that report is ridiculous, claiming that someone without a known risk factor such as murmurs, septal defects or valve stenosis is at risk of subacute bacterial endocarditis is idiotic. Anyone with those risks has to take antibiotics before even minor procedures such as a scale and polish and would be very stupid to get an oral piercing but the odds of someone having both an undiagnosed defeat or immunodeficiency (which would be the only way this could really happen) and then getting endocarditis is extremely slim. Heh, more scaremongering!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I agree with the other stuff in the report, though. I know lots of people who have damaged their teeth from badly placed piercings/inappropriate jewellery.

Did anyone hear Paddy from Bodyshock on Todayfm today? He spoke very well, I thought. Good to hear him calling for regulation of piercers on national radio :)

eth0_ wrote:
    I agree with the other stuff in the report, though. I know lots of people who have damaged their teeth from badly placed piercings/inappropriate jewellery.

Did anyone hear Paddy from Bodyshock on Todayfm today? He spoke very well, I thought. Good to hear him calling for regulation of piercers on national radio :)

Definitely no one could disagree with tooth injuries, it's the reason I've not gotten my tongue pierced, it's really short and l know I'd end up damaging my teeth even with dental acrylic balls. I did think about large guage venoms but l don't think my vein placement would work. What kind of regulations was Paddy calling for?

What kind of regulations was Paddy calling for?

That the government or council should bring in licenses for piercers and tattooists to make sure they are competent and adhering to standards of health and safety. With the aim of putting the scratchers out of business, hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I read this in some free paper today,the part that made me laugh was when it said that the risk for you is highest at concerts where hygiene is very low lol

It's needed, places like the one in the GSA need shutting down, though you're always gonna have cheapskates who'll go to shady places just to save money. One of the simplest things that could be brought in straight away is mandatory monthly spore test results on clear display by a local authority lab.

I read this in some free paper today,the part that made me laugh was when it said that the risk for you is highest at concerts where hygiene is very low lol

Why would that make you laugh, it's very true! THe piercers I see at festivals tend to be the kind who use a gun to pierce, or the kind who are cr*p, like Metal Morphosis.

Then you have to remember it's a lot harder to keep clean at a festival, and even if it is easy to wash, you'll probably be super drunk and won't bother.

Don't ever remember seeing anyone reputable like Snakebite or Bodyshock at a festival.

no it meant that you could catch and infection off another person at the concert because the people that go to them are dirty,not people piercing there

no it meant that you could catch and infection off another person at the concert because the people that go to them are dirty,not people piercing there

But that's true! People who are camping for days at a music festival aren't following their usual standards of cleanliness.

It's a stupid idea to get pierced at a festival, on holiday etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 xRonix

just like in Poland :D

xRonix wrote:
    just like in Poland :D

Huh?
    It doesn't really matter where you go, if you can't be 100% sure of the how clean and professional a place is, don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

some of the things they are saying is true, i.e chipping/cracking of teeth, tissue over growing the piercing.

These are usually down to two factors. The piercer and the piercee.

Its down to the piercer to pierce the client in the correct manner. Proper placement of the jewellery so it doesnt rub off gums or teeth while talking, eating etc. If the placement is poor nothing the client can do will fix this (apart from removing the piercing)

The client shouldnt play with the labret piercing or tongue piercing. I for one admit to playing with my labret piercing at first. Tissue grew over it and i had to force it out, dissolved half a panadol on it to break down the tissue. Then pop. Anyway it was easily fixed, a longer bar was put in. Simple as. Same with tongue piercings, I will go so far as to say that you are thick if you rub the jewellery off of your teeth or play with it. It will erode away your teeth and or gums. But once again it is easily remedied by putting on acryllic/plastic balls.

Cheek piercings are a different story, very easily to bite down on them (so i haer) no personal experience.

I was a bit disappointed that they didnt even try do a combined study with actual body piercers here. Instead of saying its REALLY DANGEROUS and you will have dental problems and possibly heart complications then DIE.

It boggles the mind really. Why be so negative about the whole issue and why not educate people. Give them the dangers and other stuff, cool no problem. But also tell them ways to avoid having receeding gums, chipped teeth by informing them on alternative jewellery, going to professional piercers who will pierce you in the correct clean way and give good placement to avoid the problems they mentioned.

Getting pierced at a festival is stupid. Common sense should prevail here.

Im not even going to comment on the infective endocarditis boll0x, we all know what the story is there. Scare-mongoring tactics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

As if my parents didn't give me enough crap about my piercings as it is.......you'd think they'd have given up by now, I'm 25. Now they've seen this bullsh*t in the news and it's all blown up again, "but you could die, what would your son do then?", for gods sake, what is peoples problem with body mods?

it seems that there is only room for piercings and ink within the modification industry, and maybe the music industry, but try to get a job within "normal" society is a joke. And now not only are we "not normal" and asociated with criminal activity, but were being branded as idiots for taking such high risks with our health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Shelli wrote:
    As if my parents didn't give me enough crap about my piercings as it is.......you'd think they'd have given up by now, I'm 25. Now they've seen this bullsh*t in the news and it's all blown up again, "but you could die, what would your son do then?", for gods sake, what is peoples problem with body mods?

it seems that there is only room for piercings and ink within the modification industry, and maybe the music industry, but try to get a job within "normal" society is a joke. And now not only are we "not normal" and asociated with criminal activity, but were being branded as idiots for taking such high risks with our health.

Tell me about it. I haven't had any health risks with ANY of my piercings. And I've had over thirty different ones done now. I've had my tongue pierced for four years. My teeth, while are not perfect, they're doin ok. I will admit to playing with my tongue bar, especially whilst drunk, but I've not done much damage to my teeth. And the plastic balls? I chew on them. They splinter and get lodged in my throat. Not fun. Don't advise them.

Society are a bunch on closed minded, arrogant twits. (Not health related) Ya know what I find hilarious? When I open the door for someone, or I give them my seat on a bus, the look of shock on their face is priceless. I'm probably one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but cos I've got my hands tattooed, and great big holes in my ears I'm obviously a crewl and nasty person.... Makes me laugh when people actually realise I'm a whole lot more genuine and nicer than most 'normies' are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Society are a bunch on closed minded, arrogant twits. (Not health related) Ya know what I find hilarious? When I open the door for someone, or I give them my seat on a bus, the look of shock on their face is priceless. I'm probably one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but cos I've got my hands tattooed, and great big holes in my ears I'm obviously a crewl and nasty person.... Makes me laugh when people actually realise I'm a whole lot more genuine and nicer than most 'normies' are. :)
    LOL
    "normies"
    does that make us "moddies"?:D

[Cartman voice]
    It seems to me that every few years the dentists get a hair up their ass about something popular and we all get screwed.
    [/cartman]
    I half think everything they say in these "health alerts" is BS and just done to remind people that dentists exist since most couldn't be bothered to visit one unless they need a filling/extraction. As it is there's still a lot of questions regarding whether fluorine has any benefit whatsoever as regards dental hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

in fairness to the dentists theyre only doing their jobs :-/ and looking out for peoples health....same way we wouldnt recommend some places to get pierced

I remember reading an article about a dentist who refused to treat patients with oral piercings,He wouldnt even treat you if you still had the signs that you had just taken one out,his words were "i will only treat you if you have truly reformed"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

become a born-again normie? :D

I think theres more chance of me turning into an emo tbh lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Makes me glad my dentist is a rather eccentric man who just takes the piss out of my piercings instead of refusing to look at my teeth :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ive been intending to visit one since last november....

should really give it a go before i go to nz... but...

id soooooooo much rather several needles through my flesh, than him poking at my teeth...

Advertisement