Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saucy Rent Rise - doesn't suit you, sir!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

My landlord wants to raise my rent by 9.1%. Don't think I'll go for it, there are similar places in adjoining areas for that or less. So I can save money or at least have greater choice. I don't see what the incentive for me to stay is, to be honest.

I'll probably put the figure of a 4.5 % increase to him. If he thinks that losing a good tenant, plus whatever time the apartment may be empty is worth the extra rent then best of luck to him.

Mind you I need to run all this past my girlfriend :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I don't care what stats people are posting here - rent has significantly increased in south dublin over the past few months.

To OP - when you say you see similar places for cheaper rent have you actually been offered any of these? My guess is no as if you decide to move what will happen is you will go to a reasonably priced place and there will be 50 people there to view it.

My advice is to try to negotiate with your landlord first but the % rent increase seems fine to me. Only when you've been offered a place at cheaper rent does it become a viable alternative but IMHO you've alot of work to do......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

2 years ago our landlord tryed to increase our rent from 1100 to 1900 in one go....we talked to him and through a process of elimination and just pointing out things to him we got the rest increase down to 1400.......even at that the house was severely undervalued for rent....a 3-bed in sandymount across the road from the sea......similar places in our estate rent for 2100/2200 now and rent still not gone up....just point out that ye are good tenants, never any hassle with neighbours/guards etc, bills always paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

bugler wrote:
    My landlord wants to raise my rent by 9.1%. Don't think I'll go for it, there are similar places in adjoining areas for that or less. So I can save money or at least have greater choice. I don't see what the incentive for me to stay is, to be honest.
    Lack of hassle? The last place I rented I stayed in for 4 years. Not because it was a great place, or because I loved the landlord, or because it was cheap. It was a lot to do with the hassle of changing addresses on bank accounts, moving stuff, etc which I had the previous time I moved! It's not worth it for the sake of 50 a month. 100 a month you might start considering it.

Landlords know that and it is partly the reason that rents tend to increase and rarely fall. For rents ever to fall, there would need to be an amazing oversupply of rental properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Rents are definitely not falling. I could show you my bank statement and my long days trudging around to find a new place to prove it.

Second thoughts, just go looking for an apartment in dublin and see for yourself.
    Ask your mates in similar places who moved in over the last year or 2 what they are paying in rent and then compare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

***Update*

My girlfriend and I secured a lovely two-bedroomed terrace house in Killiney for E1300. South-facing (small) garden, everything shiny new.

This is really cheap, but there is a catch! If anyone can guess it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

It's next door to Enya?

foxy06 wrote:
    It's next door to Enya?

I certainly hope not, who could listen to that tedious wailing..?

This is really cheap, but there is a catch! If anyone can guess it...

It's being sold and you're on short-notice and have to facilitate viewings? :)

bugler wrote:
    It's being sold and you're on short-notice and have to facilitate viewings? :)

Correct and right. Still, it's only been on the market a couple of weeks. We're hoping it won't sell too quickly. We get a three month-lease to begin with. Viewings won't be too frequent and, if someone buys, we get six weeks notice to quit, which is ample time.

Am I being too optimistic in thinking that the house could still be for sale a year from now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I also did indicate that I have no direct experience in this, neither been a landlord nor tenant.
    The last place I rented I stayed in for 4 years.
    What?

rediguana:

I've seen a few properties on Daft with that arrangement. It's not something I'd enter into myself, but fair play to you if you're willing to do it. You might well be there for a while, it depends on the attitude of the owner toward selling it. If they're as slow to accept the reality of price drops as most then I'd say you'll have a good stretch there yet.

Still, getting tenants in while trying to sell the place...sign of the times.

It kind of suits us, the shorter lease. My work location has changed three times already this year, and there's a possibility we'll be looking to buy ourselves over the coming year (yeah, it's not a great time, but we're at that age!).

Worst case scenario we're only in the door and we're packing up to leave again in six weeks. It seems like the type of house that might prove troublesome to shift unless, as you said, the owners start to readjust, and who wants to do that just yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

rediguana wrote:
    Correct and right. Still, it's only been on the market a couple of weeks. We're hoping it won't sell too quickly. We get a three month-lease to begin with. Viewings won't be too frequent and, if someone buys, we get six weeks notice to quit, which is ample time.

Am I being too optimistic in thinking that the house could still be for sale a year from now?
    Sounds good to me. You don't have much to lose, apart from the hassle of moving one extra time. But really, you never know, that place could take ages to sell. Depends on how badly the owners need/try to sell. If they hold out for a good price, you could easily still be there in 6months/year.

Advertisement