Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

Options
  • 11-09-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I've just started into 5th year and my Maths teacher wants us to come in at 8am every wednesday for an extra class (my school usually starts at 8:45). The principal agrees with her an says we'll get in trouble if we dont go. We've already tried asking the teachers to reschedule because no one is able to get in at that time, and its basically punishing us for doing higher level, but they're just ignoring us. Higher maths is the only class they want to do an extra lesson in, everything else (including other higher level subjects) have 5 classes a week, what makes maths so special?

Did this happen to anyone else?
    Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

We had extra classes at lunch-time, but never before school. Thats pretty ridiculous that they would punish you for not making the class. Maths definitely does need the extra bit of work at higher level, it was the only subject I did Ordinary Level in. I dropped down towards the end of 5th year, did very little work in ordinary and got and A1. I thought it was a far better option that slogging away for a C in Higher and struggling in other subjects as a result. I'm not suggesting you drop down a level but be prepared to do a lot of work for honours.

In terms of what you should do, I always found in school that parental pressure was the best bet. Teachers will always listen to parents ahead of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

that sounds relativly insane. if school doesnt start until 8:45 then they have no powah over you until then! so how can they punish you? :p

seriously though, that seems totally redicilous. get a parent to look into it for you. I'd only assume that why the priority with maths is, is due to the last few LC papers being relativly hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

We had them for maths and irish HL, one after school on wed (usually off at 1.05 anyway), or after school on fri (we finished at 3.20 on fri and 4.00 on mon, tues and thurs) so it just meant not getting off early on a fri.

Extra classes are the norm for some higher level subjects (with practicals also involving extra time,) and they do make the difference, and it shows the teacher gives a sh1t, which is a good thing! Try talking to them to get it changed to a better time, like if you get a half day on wed, or off early on a fri. 8:00 seems a bit ridiculous tbh, and definitely if reasoning with them doesn't help, then parental pressure is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

What happens to the students that take a bus? most buses don't get in til what, 8.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

What happens to the students that take a bus? most buses don't get in til what, 8.30?
    no, there's plenty of buses that could get you in by 7:30 if you wanted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Not really that insane... We had 7 classes of maths per week :D extra maths and irish classes after school, and even some at weekends or during holidays.

Maybe it's a bit unusual in 5th year... Well if you don't wanna go then don't, if you're parents understand the school can't really do anything can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Weird. We have an extra class for people doing higher level maths, but it's just during a "not real" class such as Religion during the day. Coming in early would suck. I already have to be in at 8.35 on monday mornings for choir, and it's tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Maths is arguably the hardest subject at Leaving Cert level - it's also the one that gets worried about because so many people are failing and missing out on college because of this one subject (though in fairness, this is much more of a problem for ordinary + foundation level students). I can understand why a teacher would want to arrange for extra classes, though doing this as early as fifth year seems a bit extreme (when I was in school we had extra language classes in the afternoons, but only for a few months in sixth year in the run-up to the orals) and telling people they'll get into trouble for not turning up is unfair. It's brilliant that they're willing to have this extra class, but the approach they need to take is to have an optional extra class for students rather than deciding from the get-go that the course can't be covered within the boundaries of the school day - that's a teacher not doing their job properly.

Definitely get the parents involved - possibly co-ordinate an effort to get a specific result? If they're saying you *have* to go to this class or else you'll be punished, then try to get it rescheduled for during the school day (maybe when there's a study period or non-LC-examined subject on). If it has to be at that specific time, or even at another time after school, try to ensure that it's not compulsory, and that the material being covered in these classes is basically extra help for people who need things clarified rather than essential core material that needs to be taught. Hopefully one of those options should be acceptable to the Powers That Be in your school - or will be when backed up by a bunch of irritated parents. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Surprised this is allowed as you are probably not covered by insurance. I did this other years though but it was always optional. Be thankful you've such a dedicated teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

You're being given a great oppprtunity and advantage here and you're complaining? I would have loved that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

If you're good enough at maths, don't go and tell your teacher you don't need it. Your straight As in class tests will be your defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Our school just decided to replace some LCVP computer class with a third Maths class on a Tuesday. You shouldn't be forced to go into classes because they didn't feel like reworking the timetable to suit you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had early starts two days a week for Hons. Maths when I was at school - of course that was back in the 70s when times were hard and we had to walk 15 miles to school in the snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

you're not being punished - if you dont want to go in early then drop down. i did hons maths for 5th year (after getting an A in the jc,dropped down at beginning of 6th year) and believe me its a really really facking hard subject, with (in my case anyway) 2 books to cover. Have a teacher who just races through the books and you will definately find it harder, and, while 8am is a bit early, if you want to do well in maths then you'll just have to suck it up i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Don't go in, then catch up on the material by yourself. Then 'sicken' them with an A1.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'd seriously laugh at them! I wouldn't even be outta the bed by then. :o

andrew wrote:
    you're not being punished - if you dont want to go in early then drop down. i did hons maths for 5th year (after getting an A in the jc,dropped down at beginning of 6th year) and believe me its a really really facking hard subject, with (in my case anyway) 2 books to cover. Have a teacher who just races through the books and you will definately find it harder, and, while 8am is a bit early, if you want to do well in maths then you'll just have to suck it up i suppose
    You know nothing of the OP and their ability level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

My ex-girlfriend has extra classes on a wednesday after-school.
    She was raging!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

I've just started into 5th year and my Maths teacher wants us to come in at 8am every wednesday for an extra class (my school usually starts at 8:45). The principal agrees with her an says we'll get in trouble if we dont go. We've already tried asking the teachers to reschedule because no one is able to get in at that time, and its basically punishing us for doing higher level, but they're just ignoring us. Higher maths is the only class they want to do an extra lesson in, everything else (including other higher level subjects) have 5 classes a week, what makes maths so special?

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

In fifth year we had 6 Maths (honours) fit into our timetable automatically, where as others got the normal 5. It's because Maths is seen as one of the most challenging subjects.
    This year however we only have 5 classes in the timetable so, similar to you, we have to come into school at 8.10 and fill in for the extra class before school starts... it's bloody exhausting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

omg! try and reschedule it till after school or something! thats what my class are doing this year, its much easier.
    thats seriously so ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Do some people actually have to do Maths outside of school time? What a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

My neighbour went to a different school than me and had to go in early some morning for a maths class. Its not totally insane really. I guess the only reason they want to punish you if you dont show up is so the teachers not sitting there on her own with no students. So, just get your parents involved or something. Don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

If they really want to have an extra maths class why dont they put it on after school or something on a Friday.

It would make a lot more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anything goes

I know that this is an inconvience to most people (including your maths teacher) but honours maths is extremely hard. I did it but had to drop down just after my mocks as I couldn't keep up. I think the extra classes are a great idea (altough I agree having to get up that bit earlier would kill me). In my school the honours maths teacher organised to have extra classes from 9 to 1 on a saturday a couple of times. Nobody was obliged to go but I think most people did and said it really helped them.

ally_mull wrote:
    omg! try and reschedule it till after school or something! thats what my class are doing this year, its much easier.
    thats seriously so ridiculous
    Slightly annoying? Perhaps(especially if you're like me and don't like getting up in the morning). Ridiculous? Not by a long stretch. I mean, getting up a whole hour earlier one whole day a week? Come on...

I mean, if you must have an extra maths class outside of school hours, having it in the morning is vastly preferable IMO.

I know that this is an inconvience to most people (including your maths teacher) but honours maths is extremely hard. I did it but had to drop down just after my mocks as I couldn't keep up. I think the extra classes are a great idea (altough I agree having to get up that bit earlier would kill me). In my school the honours maths teacher organised to have extra classes from 9 to 1 on a saturday a couple of times. Nobody was obliged to go but I think most people did and said it really helped them.

Homours maths is not so hard that extra classes have to be scheduled for it. If your school is so keen for you to do six classes a week get rid of a doss subject. Most of this thread seems to contain comments along the lines of 'oh I did pass I wish I had been given this opportunity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 corklady

Your teacher is giving up his/her free time to help you and your classmates. They're not getting paid for it. They're doing this for you! For god's sake be grateful and take all the help you can get. You'll be glad of it next year. You're in a lucky position, a lot of teachers wouldn't give a sh*t! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

why dont the school just atake from a sh*ty subject like religion?? no ofence to it like, we have 3 classes a week in it and its not an exam subject, so we generally dont really do anything.

corklady wrote:
    Your teacher is giving up his/her free time to help you and your classmates. They're not getting paid for it. They're doing this for you! For god's sake be grateful and take all the help you can get. You'll be glad of it next year. You're in a lucky position, a lot of teachers wouldn't give a sh*t! :o

My earlier point is proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Teachers have to teach a certain numbers of hours a week - this teacher may well be counting that early morning class among them, particularly if it's a compulsory class. I wouldn't go on too much about how students should be kneeling in gratitude for this teacher; you don't know whether the morning they're giving up for this is being compensated for (might mean they're not teaching a class later on in the day, which could leave them free for an afternoon). The timetable should be able to accommodate these extra classes; whether it's a minor or major inconvenience for people, the point is that compulsory classes outside of school hours is not a situation that should ever arise.

Advertisement