Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

increasing lung capacity

Options
  • 11-09-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hey, anyone ever try those breathing devices for increasing lung capactiy? or anyone have any info on where you can get them? less than one week of flatness left hopefully....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

this sounds interesting, does it help you hold you breath for longer? how does it work? expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_om_om

yeah helps hold your breath longer so would be good for general fitness levels too. heard soccer and rugby players use em too. looks a bit like an inhaler. think they were about 80 euro when i saw them but can't find any website for them now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

You can also increase your lung capacity by doing CO2/O2 tables and air packing. Look them up on any freediving site - basically you hold your breath with varying amounts of recovery time in between holds. Don't pack too much though or you'll pass out.

That device you're talking about is called Power Lung and you can get them on Amazon.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

If you do any pool swimming, you can do underwater lengths to build up your lung capacity. Swimming is great exercise for your paddling and you can work the lungs as well by doing a few sets of 25m underwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_om_om

thanks lads. yeah been swimming a lot in the sea this summer and always do a few minutes under water swimming but don't seem to be able to stay under for any longer than i was at the start. can't hold my breath for long even outta the water so thought i'd look into this yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Only saw this now. I use to swim distance competitively and our coaches use to make us do drills called lung busters. It's basically the same as what Yank and Bush Dr. are saying just put into a format and a bit better then starting off straight out at 25m at a time under water. Basically, start off with your normal stroke to breath ratio when swimming i.e 1 breath to every 3 pulls (better then every 2 as you get bi lat breathing which builds up your neck on both sides not just 1), next phase after e.g 5 lenghts make it 1 breath to 5 and after 5 of them 1 breath to 7, its an absolute killer at first but does the trick nicely!

Advertisement