Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

battery problem

Options
  • 11-09-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

My car battery died yesterday. Got new one started OK. This morning car would not start, battery empty. Is it battery or car not recharging? The igntion light does not light when started? Does not even flicker. Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like the brushes are gone in your alternator. You possibly didn't need a new battery at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Avns1s wrote:
    Sounds like the brushes are gone in your alternator. You possibly didn't need a new battery at all.
    Would that prevent the ignition light from lighting when starting?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep, I'll second Avns1s suggestion - it does sound like a charging problem. Get your alternator checked out.

What do you mean by 'ignition' light - the one with the battery symbol? If so then yes - the battery light actually relates to the alternator.

crosstownk wrote:

What do you mean by 'ignition' light - the one with the battery symbol?

Yes it should light briefly when starting. The batery was new yesterday. I drove 2 miles to shops stopped . And that would completely deplete it to zilch zero? Thanks

The battery light should light when the key is turned to 'on' but the engine is not running - or if there is a fault in the charging circuit. It can also happen that the light won't illuminate at all when the alternator is faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A major drain on the battery occurring somehow? Buying a new battery as a first step was a bit rash.

Not your ornery onager

:(
    crosstownk wrote:
    The battery light should light when the key is turned to 'on' but the engine is not running - or if there is a fault in the charging circuit. It can also happen that the light won't illuminate at all when the alternator is faulty.

You were right alternator needs replacing:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Glad you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

crosstown and co were right about my girlfriends alternator a couple of weeks ago too, they wanted 600 for a new one but got it restored for 100, it's the way to go incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

crosstown and co were right about my girlfriends alternator a couple of weeks ago too, they wanted 600 for a new one but got it restored for 100, it's the way to go incredible
    Good idea, try Myles Balfe in Broadstone (close to Fire Station). Think they have a place on the southside too.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

If you're on the southside you could also try Almax on Cromwellsfort Road (opposite the Borza chipper and Advance Tyres).

01 450 6216.

Hi folks

Thanks for the help and feedback. Posting this in case may help someone in future. He said it ws the diode that was f***** in the alternator and it was discarging overnight because when they go wrong the current which should flow in one direcgtion flows backwards and take the charge fom the battery. I'm sorted now

Yep - a dodgy diode pack. It's a common enough alternator fault.

Advertisement