Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buckled Wheel

Options
  • 11-09-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hit the kerb a bit hard tonight and buckled the wheel. Anyone know how much it would be for a bog standard 15inch rim for an opel astra would be? My mind's gone blank as to the prices!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A main dealer will probably charge you an arm and a leg.

Try getting one from a scrap yard, just make sure it is not damaged before buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is it steel or alloy? Did you buckle it or dent it?

If it's steel and dented then there is a chance it can be fixed with judicious use of a hammer and a block of wood.

You should have a wheel alignment check - you're tracking may be affected by the impact with the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm guessing €45-70 for a steel rim? Better budget for a new tyre as well!

Not your ornery onager

It's a steel rim but the tyre is perfect. Hopefully won't end up being more than 150. Its those new wide curbs the council are putting everywhere in cork that it hit off, just not used to taking the corner so wide! Might try a scrapyard alright but i'll see how much the local garage wants for one first.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

DJ Hafez wrote:
    It's a steel rim but the tyre is perfect. Hopefully won't end up being more than 150. Its those new wide curbs the council are putting everywhere in cork that it hit off, just not used to taking the corner so wide! Might try a scrapyard alright but i'll see how much the local garage wants for one first.

Thanks

You should get it for half nothing. Lots of people throw them off in favour of alloys. I saw a skip load of steel wheels out the back of one garage before

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, another vote for a scrappy... You might find one with a tyre and everything for very little money if you're lucky! And as maidhc said, a lot of people just bin them when they get shiny new alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Even try some tire places, people are always up-grading to alloys, you should be able to pick up a steel rim for 1/2 nothing...

It's quite hard to buckle a steel rim, partially due to the size of the tire... if you did there might be damage to the steel rings inside the tire.. did you spin it up in the air? is it definitely buckled?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DJ Hafez wrote:
    ...the tyre is perfect...
    Don't you mean the tyre looks perfect?

Not your ornery onager

Brought it up to the local garage there, needs new tyre and rim. Guy said he'll source one second hand for me for tommorrow. Can't believe how a small knock could do so much damage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Is it a safe saving spare? You might get away with using it as a spare with a new tyre. Just get it changed ASAP when you get a puncture.

Advertisement