Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual-Boot Vista/XP Pro Laptop

• 11-09-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Ok so a friend just got a Vista laptop for college. However, the college insist on XP Pro as the OS of choice. But he still likes Vista for home use.

So i'm thinking a dual boot is a good idea here. I'v no experience of Vista though. I was thinking of going about it like so:

1. Creating an image of the laptop as is, with Vista, onto a CD (he has no Vista CD)
    2. Formatting the HD
    3. Partitioning it into 2, one for XP, one for Vista.
    4. Installing XP into one partition, and the Vista image onto another

Anyone care to point out any mistakes i'v made or problems I might come up against? It's basic but sounds like it'l work to me. But again, I'v no experience with Vista so please correct me..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I followed this tutorial and it worked for me:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

No need to remove Vista from the laptop at all. The only problem I had was to do with the ntldr file, to which the answer to the problem is well documented in the notes on that page.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

advantages for both methods.
    if you dont remove vista, i dont think there's any way to create a partition on the hard drive.

if you dont create the partition, and have both operating systems on the same, if one does fail and crash, and it needed to be formatted, then you loose both versions.

if you have a partition and install xp on one, and vista on the other, then at least you know 1 will work if something happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

robbie1876 wrote:
    I followed this tutorial and it worked for me:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

No need to remove Vista from the laptop at all. The only problem I had was to do with the ntldr file, to which the answer to the problem is well documented in the notes on that page.

Good luck!

Cheers thanks for that, that tutorial was great help- and the dual-boot worked perfectly! :D

Advertisement