Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rambling rose not flowering

Options
  • 11-09-2007 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi
    I have a rambling rose which is great at the rambling bit but has only produced 1 flower since I bought it in early 2006 !!! Is there any way I can encourage it to flower? Also it has a kind of white powdery substance on the upper stems can anyone tell me what this is and is it going to kill the plant and how to treat it? Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is it possible that the white powdery stuff could be aphids? They come in a variety of colours. I get them on my roses. You can get a spray (harmful to bees) or you can buy yourself an army of ladybirds to tackle them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Roses can often take a season or two to settle in, give it time. You could also feed with Tomato feed but I would leave that 'til next Spring. The powdery substance could be mildew. Is it planted very close to a wall or is the growth very congested? (Having good air circulation in roses is essential). Spraying with Rose Clear every two weeks should help, or a more organic way is 3 tablespoons baking powder/ 1 gallon water with a dash of washing up liquid added. I have also heard, but never tried, that spraying with a solution of 1pint full cream milk/1 gallon water is very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monvoy

Great thanks for all the info .
    Yes it is growing close to the wall does this make a difference ? i don't want to move it as the idea was to hide the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Perhaps I could have made it clearer. It's not how close the to the wall the rose is planted, although ideally climbers should be planted at least eighteen inches to two feet from a wall, this is because the concrete foundation will draw moisture from the soil.The problem with mildew occurs when the growing stems themselves are very close to or touching the wall, this means that air can't circulate and fungal diseases like mildew and blackspot can thrive. Use "Vine eyes" and wire to keep the stems about two inches from the wall and cut out any crossing stems so the centre of the plant is kept open.

Advertisement