Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell From New Stove

Options
  • 11-09-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Is it normal to have a smell and fumes coming off a new stove that has been lit for the first time. Installed a small 6kw waterford stanley oisin stove in the sitting room and it is giving off terrible fumes, leaving a visible haze in the room. Have only lit it twice. If this is normal how long is it likely to continue for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

I would say for a half an hour its a small film on the heating elements melting away quite common leave on for 45 mins with all the windows open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's common for gas appliances to smell ,when new.
    The heat outputs whatever is sitting on the new appliance.
    Goes away after a couple of uses.:)

There is never anything visible though ,are you sure all the new literature and stickers were taken out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As long as nothing else unusual is happening, I'd expect any new burner to give off a smell as it 'settles in'. If the smell is there is a week then maybe get it looked at.

But if your concerned, talk to the manufacturer/selling agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It's just the paint cooking, the smell lasts for about 3 days then fades away, at least you are doing it at the right time of the year so you can leave all the doors and windows open to vent the fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

I had similar problem with my Nestor Martin stove...the manual stated that the stove factory applied paint needs a high tempurature to cure it after application and so for the first few light ups the room should be ventilated and vacated by all as the fumes can be very strong!

After couple of big fires in mine the smell went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Hawthorn_Pl

I have lit it now a few times and things seem to be getting better. Its just that I didn't expect it and the fumes were pretty strong. You would definitely not want to be in the same room. If I were selling stoves I would definitely tell customers about it. Rang waterford stanley and they said it was normal for the first week or so as its the protective resin burning off. Very happy otherwise. The open fireplace we had was basically sucking all the heat out of the room. The glass fronted stove has thankfully put an end to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pdeery

i have a waterford stanley in my living room. i ordered it a while ago and it was delivered while i wasn't home and the builders installed it and when i came home i lit it just to get it going and the smell was terrible, i checked it out and the idiots had sent the wrong stove. they sent the boiler version as opposed to the non boiler. the boiler version has 4 small pipes at the back for water pipe connection and they are covered with small plastic covers and they had melted causing the smell.

they came and replaced it and the lorry driver told me it was the 6th one he had to change cos of the same f*** up.

P

Advertisement