Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw E34

Options
  • 11-09-2007 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm searching for one of these cruisers. Anywhere between 1990-94 520i.
    I always liked them so I'm gonna get me one and scrap my learner colt that I'm driving. Ideally I would like to buy one off an oul one or oul fella or some couple that had it for the past ten years that maintained it not one some langar tried to drift in.

Are the head gaskets suspect on these? Bottom ends? Gearbox's?
    Are simple things like bushings expensive to replace on these?

Thanks,

Tree top Tim:rolleyes;)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Great cars. Go for the 525i if you can stretch that far but as you are a learner I suspect you may be crucified on insurance.
    Heads (gasket and head itself) can go if they overheat.
    As with any car, get it checked out before you hand over money!

Have a look at the following:
    www.bmw4life.com/buyingE34.htm
    www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e34.html

Also check out www.bmwe34.net, www.bavarian-board.co.uk and www.bmw-driver.net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Regular coolant changes & a few choice preventative maintenance items should prevent overheating. You should change the following items for peace of mind:
    water pump
    thermostat
    get radiator pressure tested & maybe re-cored (or replaced)
    check rubber pipes, joints & plastic parts of rad for brittleness & wear
    change coolant for the mixed metail blue coolant.
    The above work done properly should steer you clear of any overheating issues.
    If you are putting big wheels on it don't go above 17', even 17' wheels will make ribbons of the front suspension ballljoints, arms & rubber components.

I would agree that a 525i would be ideal if possible & probably slightly more economical than a 520i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I have my full license, I use the expression learner colt as ultimately you always see l plates on them haha so I want somthing big and comfortable now. I'd love a 525 but I'd be eaten on road tax so it would have to be the 520 model.
    Do all the 520i models have the same 24v 6 cylinder engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Not all 520is are 24v, there are 12v ones too. I think it was 1993 that the 24v ones kicked in. The 24v is defintely a better engine.
    A few other things to watch for when buying is to avoid the metric alloy wheels, tyres are hard to get & are expensive for metrics.
    I found the maintenance quite straight forward, not sure how mechanical you are but it is a straight forward car to work on.
    If you are looking at a car with Air Con make sure it's still hooked up, i.e. have a look to ensure there's a fan belt (a 2nd belt) on the compressor pump. It's a common trick to remove this to hide a knackered pump.

The old M20 12V/I6 (belt) engine was replaced in 1990 with the 24V I6 (chain) M50 engine

In addition to other things mentioned - check for rust, especially on the sills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

My 96 reg (built in July 95) is a 24v 6 cylinder single Vanos (on intake) still drives very well as it approaches 140k miles. It's an auto thought which is not a speed machine but the engine will rev freely and there is some poke in it. I have it more for comfort with leather and aircon which I feel is necessary these day's. The e39 which followed may be a better car but it is only a remodelled e34.

I will trade up to an e39 but will wait until the new year for that. I will still have a smile on my face until then when I climb aboard the e34.

TBH, for an extra €300pa, you would be glad to have gotten the 525i! As already mentioned, you will recoup some of it back as it tends to be more economical that its 2L sibling

Not all 520is are 24v, there are 12v ones too. I think it was 1993 that the 24v ones kicked in. The 24v is defintely a better engine.
    A few other things to watch for when buying is to avoid the metric alloy wheels, tyres are hard to get & are expensive for metrics.
    I found the maintenance quite straight forward, not sure how mechanical you are but it is a straight forward car to work on.
    If you are looking at a car with Air Con make sure it's still hooked up, i.e. have a look to ensure there's a fan belt (a 2nd belt) on the compressor pump. It's a common trick to remove this to hide a knackered pump.

I want a 24V model anyway, more economical I would imagine and smoother running. I'm usually do basic enough maintenance on my cars like oil, plugs, brake pads etc. I'll look out for the aircon trick your talking about. As most drivers of these cars are over 30 I can limit my worry of finding alot of trashed ones about. I want a good straight thats NCT'd anyways.
    How much do you reckon I would pay for one? Saw various prices from 1200 for a 91' to 2500 for a 94'

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

They are a nice 'aul bus alrite, always had a eye out for one but most of them out there are just dirt-boxes, when ''the one'' comes along you'll know it.

-VB-

I'm sure theres plenty out there been used as taxi's with 190k on the clock but have seen some wonderful examples I have drooled over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote:

Looks nice but I want one on irish plates as I dont want to have to VRT somthing and NCT it etc. Straight car I can transfere my insurance to kinda thing. I'm browsing a few others here and noted a few numbers i'll give a bell to tomarrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I know you would prefer to go the easy route, but you will get a lot more for your money if you import from the UK. Leather, premium sound etc as well as have more to choose from with a good service history and the ability to run a reliable history check. If nothing else it will make it easier to sell when the time comes with these goodies.

The cars are pretty solid, most of the weaknesses have been pointed out. If you are a DIY'r then its a good car to have, otherwise the costs will mount up considerably.

My next car is looking more and more like an E34 M5, classic shape and not too much electronic muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Definately agree with the advice of buying from the UK. I bought mine a few weeks ago from the UK. One owner (old fella) 80k full bmw service history with folders of documents etc to back it up. The car has loads of extras, toolkit and first aid kits haven't been opened yet (still have shrink wrap on). I got all the original keys and alarm remotes, 4 keys and 3 remotes, including the plastic key.
    Oh, mines a '95 525tds touring auto.
    :D

Definately agree with the advice of buying from the UK. I bought mine a few weeks ago from the UK. One owner (old fella) 80k full bmw service history with folders of documents etc to back it up. The car has loads of extras, toolkit and first aid kits haven't been opened yet (still have shrink wrap on). I got all the original keys and alarm remotes, 4 keys and 3 remotes, including the plastic key.
    Oh, mines a '95 525tds touring auto.

wow I bet you were a happy dumpling getting the original pack with that thing. I'd love that I would! Though I want the saloon as I aint a touring fan really.

Timmy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd be aiming 525 instead of 520; I have an e39 520, and the difference between it and the 523 (2.5) is massive.

As for the one linked to by Bazz26, I feel it's kinda expensive. If the Alpina bits were genuine it wouldn't be so bad (Alpina wheels have the valve in the centre of the wheel, not on the rim). If it's +VRT, then I think it's madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Having driven the E34 520i with the M50(24V) engine, I would say that the performance is fine for Irish purposes. A bit slow from time to time, but you get to hear the brilliant sounding straight 6 growling about the place, which is more than adequate compensation:D .It is good for(at least)180 km/h, believe me I've been in an E39 520i in Germany which has an identical 150 bhp(2 litre version, the 2.2 has 170 bhp)(and the E39 is heavier than the E34), and it gets to 150-160 km/h with not too much fuss.

The 525i was also in 2 versions; the M20(170 bhp) and the M50(192 bhp).

M20 models are the 12V version, M50s are 24V.

The M50 engine is clearly distinguishable from the M20 when the bonnet is opened.

Here is what the M20(12 Valve models) look like:
    m20.jpg.

And here is what the M50(24 Valve models) looks like

m50_300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My previous car was a '94 530i. Lovely car / engine. It got me a bit addicted to V8 petrol engines though :D

Be picky about what you buy. Going UK and getting a very well looked after car like Cmar-Ireland did seems a good idea. Alternatively, look on enthusiast websites if there's any going

I got me a nice 92' 520i.. It's black and its so shiney haha. Cream leather interior and everything works perfect except interior light but mechanically perfect. I think I will go outside now in the dark just to stare at it with my cup of tea:D

Timy

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got me a nice 92' 520i.. It's black and its so shiney haha. Cream leather interior and everything works perfect except interior light but mechanically perfect. I think I will go outside now in the dark just to stare at it with my cup of tea:D

Timy

Well wear!
    bazz26 wrote:

Volvoboy owes you finders commission, bazz26, if he goes for that one - see volvoboys thread :)

See my comment on the price on that thread too. VRT is only €600 BTW

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:

Volvoboy owes you finders commission, bazz26, if he goes for that one -

Volvoboy owes no commission, found that all on my todd:)

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    See my comment on the price on that thread too. VRT is only €600 BTW

I wouldn't mind it as a weekend project but would not pay any more than €2.5k for it including VRT. Otherwise your into E30 territory like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=791756
    unkel wrote:
    Volvoboy owes you finders commission, bazz26, if he goes for that one - see volvoboys thread :)

The commission can be deposited into my ususal offshore account. :D

bazz26 wrote:
    The commission can be deposited into my ususal offshore account. :D

:rolleyes:

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote:
    I wouldn't mind it as a weekend project but would not pay any more than €2.5k for it including VRT. Otherwise your into E30 territory like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=791756

As I posted in the other thread, the garage is actually in Belfast, so I doubt it includes VRT (approx €650). That's way too much. Woudl still prefer the 520 to teh e30 as a daily driver though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Congrats. The E34 is a nice old bus alright. I presume its the 24V version?

E92 wrote:
    Congrats. The E34 is a nice old bus alright. I presume its the 24V version?

Yes it a 6 cylinder 24v. Lovely smooth runner too for the year. It has 125k on the clock but I dont mind that too much since theres a good enough service history with it. Need one or too new tyres as I've noticed earlier today. I might just stick a full set on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes it a 6 cylinder 24v. Lovely smooth runner too for the year. It has 125k on the clock but I dont mind that too much since theres a good enough service history with it. Need one or too new tyres as I've noticed earlier today. I might just stick a full set on it.

Pics please!

Advertisement