Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How late can you drink and still be at work on time in the morning?

• 11-09-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

If I have a ****e day at work I often like to go out to the bar and drink or else drink in the house. Sometimes it goes way too far. I reckon I can drink till 3am and still be in work for 9am (although I will be ****ed and do nothing all day). Are other boardsies "harder" than me and take more or am I the man?

*opens bottle of screw top red wine and lights fag*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You're not truly hard until you're drinking on your lunch break.

I often find I wake up very early after drinking which is weird because when I'm sober I can hardly get out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I get the auld waking up early thing after a feed of beer. Thing is that I ignore it and go back to sleep and when I wake up again I am f*cked.

See recent "The Fear" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can't do that any more.
    There was a time I could go to work after drinking all night and still do a half decent days work. Now it takes me a day to recover from 6 pints, so I take full advantage and get really hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I often find I wake up very early after drinking which is weird because when I'm sober I can hardly get out of bed.

Same here, I usually have a few on a Sunday night and I can get up for 5:30 no prob. One Sunday I gave it a miss and near missed my train.

The worst I ever did was out drinking till 4 and I had to be in work for 7, just didn't sleep. It hit me the next day I can tell you.

I won't tell what I do for a living. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

For me it's more about how much rather than how late. "The Fear" tends not to come if I've things to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Going out on the piss and going to work (on time) is a piece of piss.

Try going out on the piss, getting up on time and going to play a game of ball.....

For me it is a bit of both. I can sometimes go out late but drink like a fish and still be f*cked in the morning. I find lack of food is the killer. Getting the pint summons 15 mins before you finish work is the thing. Get a taste for the booze and yer away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Back when I drank in the amounts that would have had me; up that late/barely fit for work, I often drank till 4 or 5, got some kip on the couch and stumbled out to work for 8am...granted that afternoon I'd be like the walking dead but I'd still manage a day's work. Wouldn't be fit for it these days...and it's nothing to be proud of either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 goldigga20

"I often find I wake up very early after drinking which is weird because when I'm sober I can hardly get out of bed"

So do I!?!?! But by about 4pm I am like a zombie and if I blink for more then two seconds I'd find it a huge struggle to fully open my eyes again...amature i know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I once drank solidly until 4am and got up at 6.30 am WITHOUT SETTING MY ALARM for work at 7. Body clock of the year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I recently had a session that went on until 5am - I got home at 5.30 and was up at 7 to go to work - that day was pure torture. I'm just not able anymore!

I'd reckon I need to have less than 6 pints and be in bed by 3am if I want to be functional at 10am the next day.

I'd reckon I need to have less than 6 pints and be in bed by 3am if I want to be functional at 10am the next day.

I think I'm the same as you.

What age are you out of interest? I think that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You're not truly hard until you're drinking on your lunch break..

You make that sound like a strange thing.
    I used to work in an electronics shop in the city centre. There was a pub at the side of the shop and myself and another guy used to regularly have a lunch pint (or 2). One particular day when a delivery arrived just after we had ordered our pints, having intended to take our break, we ended up taking it in turns brining in a few things while the other drank. :)

Aah to be young again (it was only about 3 years ago :) )

I would never go in for the lunch break drinking. I'd be tired and not arsed in the afternoon. I gladly go out for work lunches but have soft drinks. With the beer it is a case of "I've started so I'll finish".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Anything more than 5-6 pints and I will be calling in sick to work the next day. Used to be able to not even bother getting any sleep, would just get through the next day no bother.

Youth is wasted on the sober

Jigsaw wrote:
    I think I'm the same as you.

What age are you out of interest? I think that has something to do with it.

Based on a (drunken) discussion a few weeks ago, I now define functional as being in same state you would have been if you didn't drink, but did have a bad night's sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

3 weeks ago I went on the dry altogether because of this...plan it to stay off it completely for 6 full weeks, then only drink when I don't have work the next day.

Age has a lot to do with it alright. In my 20s I could go out till 3 or 4am, grap a couple of hours sleep, make it to work on time and be at least semi-functional the next day. Nowadays I'm 34, and I can't have more than 3-4 pints and be in bed by 11.30 or I'm useless the next day. Any more than that and I just won't be capable of making it to work till lunchtime at least, and when I do turn up I won't be much use.

Looking back, I think the turning point was about 27-28. It was all downhill from there :o

Dalfiatach wrote:
    3 weeks ago I went on the dry altogether because of this...plan it to stay off it completely for 6 full weeks, then only drink when I don't have work the next day.

Age has a lot to do with it alright. In my 20s I could go out till 3 or 4am, grap a couple of hours sleep, make it to work on time and be at least semi-functional the next day. Nowadays I'm 34, and I can't have more than 3-4 pints and be in bed by 11.30 or I'm useless the next day. Any more than that and I just won't be capable of making it to work till lunchtime at least, and when I do turn up I won't be much use.

Looking back, I think the turning point was about 27-28. It was all downhill from there :o

That's interesting. Like I said I am 26. I shall be consuming for a awhile longer. In my my mind 3.30am latest bedtime or els I will be ****ed.

I am very tempted to go on to personal issues and post extremely insensitive replies to people for comedy effect. If I do that Thaeydal will destroy me. Might be worth it though. or not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Don't drink much, so if I party hard one night, the lateness makes no difference, cause the next day I'll be toast!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

God I love Ireland. :)

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I Start work at 7am, and I went out one night, two years ago, until four am, got an hour and a half sleep and worked a twelve hour shift. Every second of it was hell, and I've been very, very careful since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

In my last job I would never drink if i had work the next day. Usually I was getting up at 6am and driving for two hours or so. Drinking wasn't an option.

Now I'm in a different job. Work my 45hrs in to 4 days and I usually start work about 2-3pm each day. We go out about once a week. I'd often get home at 6am. Sleep until lunch time and go to work with a decent night sleep in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I can't drink on a week night anymore, I was out last Thursday night until 11.30pm, had possibly a bottle of wine, next day, my head was fine, I felt ok, but my eyes were hanging out of my head and so bloodshot that people were asking me if I was ok all day. :( I'm officially old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was in the pub until 4 am one of the days last week. No problem the next day, was a bit tired towards the end. Got to love German beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

It's better to be out late in a way that not so late.

I did a day's work with an hour's sleep before. Tough day but I got through it.

My father reckons it's a good trait to have.

A few weeks ago I was drunk until 10.30 or 11 and the morning flew coz I was in such good form. I think tiredness is the key not the drunk thing - well it is for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Those of use who drive for a living and sometimes begin work at 4am are at a considerable disadvantage. :eek:
    m83 wrote:
    I once drank solidly until 4am and got up at 6.30 am WITHOUT SETTING MY ALARM for work at 7. Body clock of the year :)
    Not difficult if you began drinking at 3am ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I was completely useless at it, to the point where I never tried it. I usually need until about 4pm in bed to recover. Now the pain is so bad that I rarely go on a mad one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For one of my friends birthdays, I stayed up until 8 drinking, went to bed for about 45 minutes and was in work on time for 10. The second I got in the door, my boss tells me the checkout I am on has been out close to a €500 the previous two days and to take care and not make any mistakes. I checked the book a few days later and my till wasn't out a penny (it would have been nice for my boss to tell me this). It was an extremely painful day though and one I care to never relive again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I tend to be in bed early enough but as already said, I can get up easy enough but with no beer it's hard to get out of bed in the morning. I was out until 2 a.m. last night. Got home and didn't go to sleep until half three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Last Friday I went out till 5 am, was in work at 9am.... an hours journey away.... did a 13 hour shift and Live TV..... I did once go directly from a party to work I was still drunk doing football focus ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dalfiatach wrote:

:D LOL, I feel your pain. Mid-twenties a Thurday night session would be no bother, plenty of pints and up 7am no problem.

Mid-thirties it's 4 pints every few months, bed early and I just might be ok (as long as neither child decides to have a sleepless night)! Oh how things change.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cant drink on a work night anymore. Im just not motivated enough to bother getting me arse out of bed the next day if i do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I worked 12 hours shifts starting at 8am until recently, and have had a fair few Sunday mornings where I finished drinking around 4.30/5am and made it into work. Needless to say the day was torture. Glad to be finished those hours now! :D

I'm 22, and I find that tough, so I can't imagine it'll get much easier with time. Sometimes, I think I'll give up drinking once I pass my twenties, if my hangovers continue to get progressively worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Is 6 pints the rough limit for most people? I can usually drink about 8 or 9 tins and get to sleep at 4 or 5am, to wake up around 10 with a slightly dry mouth but otherwise fine. Then I fall back to sleep for another 6 hours and im right as rain in time for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

back in my teens, i drank from 3:45pm right through till 7 am the next morning.

I finished my last can as i walked into the back of dunnes stores cornelscourt for an 8 hour shift.

2 hours in i wanted to die, and it got 100 times worse an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

some of my mates are still in college. last semester i was doing every thurs nite til 5 am. sleep on a couch or bed if i scored - not much sleep either way. loads a beer, shots and a bottle a wine after the club
    work at 9 til 6, an hours sleep and then training at half 7. All day sat in bed though

Over the summer i havent done much drinking on a work night. Some all day sundays. One that went on til half 7. mid july. The sun was splitting the rocks on de walk home and all the polski's were waiting for the bus to take them out to the factory.

Still made it to work for 9 though. Died all day but the boss was out, thank fvck. that was my last mad one actually

Im planning a big one again this sunday, but i reckon im gonna call in sick this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

as mentioned somewhere in there, if im drinking til, say, 4, ill wake up at 7, with a headache dry mouth, all the usual. takes me about an hour to fall back asleep then.
    i can take advantage of this, if i need to be up at 8, i keep drinkin til 5, its fantastic!
    and, you know, crippling agony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Try falling into bed at 3 a.m and having to be in work at 9 to work a 12 hour shift in Smyths Toystores.And it was.......wait for it.............Chistmas time! You can only imagine the fun i had the next day.

Needless to say i didnt stay at that job too long.Had no time to study.Goddamn Smyths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

why stop? sleep is for the weak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I remember one time, just a month after I started work in the bank, I got home round 5.30am - bed at 6am - up at 9.30am and in for work at 10am (an hour late). I got away with it somehow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭angelbaby

did an all nighter there a few weeks ago and managed to get to work on time!!although i think maybe the fact i hadnt slept helped prevent the possability of sleeping in!!!Apart from that time i think the latest was probably about 6 or half 6 in the morning n was in for work at 9.

Advertisement