Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

time to stop whinging about car enthusiasts

Options
  • 11-09-2007 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

....and mixing them up with you average big lairy kitted cars with all show and no go....theres a big difference between these saps and atutal enthusiasts....why give out about noisy exhausts etc...ok i get your point of a poxy 206 or corsa with them but what about proper cars???

im sick of being tarred with the same brush as these retards:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

jdmR wrote:
    ....and mixing them up with you average big lairy kitted cars with all show and no go....theres a big difference between these saps and atutal enthusiasts....why give out about noisy exhausts etc...ok i get your point of a poxy 206 or corsa with them but what about proper cars???

I have to say I feel for ya, there seem to be plenty of people willing to speak out in favour of these noisy exhausts etc., but not one of them have been putting across a decent impression of a modified car enthusiast.

I do not have a single thing done to my car, nor would want to but even I can spot an impressive modification. If done correctly it looks classy.
    Start calling them out if you know what you're talking about, I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

somebody move this boy racer thread to the modified forum please.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jdmR

first of all what car do you drive lafors?

i prefer my cars looking close to standard in mint condition,and im mainly into modifying the engine for more bhp:D still doesnt make me a boy racer,as i insure all my cars properly with all declared...im not talking about a ****ty 100euro filter here like boy racers favour,im tlking real mods :cool:

obviously i start with suspension and braking before adding power....a set of full adjustable coilovers,and uprated discs and pads should always be the first mods on a performance car,combined with multiple strut barces and proper rubber(none of this nankang pfffft!),that will make for best handling and then its time for power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I would only modify somthing that is going to benefit the car. I'm not really
    into car modification but I have made alterations to the suspension on a car I had once and it helped alot. I dont mean some painted maxpower springs that cost 75e, I adjusted and rebuilt my suspension properly, coilovers, bushings, balancing etc. Generally I like my car to look relatively standard with perhaps a hint of slight adjustment here and there.

jdmR wrote:
    first of all what car do you drive lafors?

i prefer my cars looking close to standard in mint condition,and im mainly into modifying the engine for more bhp:D still doesnt make me a boy racer,as i insure all my cars properly with all declared...im not talking about a ****ty 100euro filter here like boy racers favour,im tlking real mods :cool:

obviously i start with suspension and braking before adding power....a set of full adjustable coilovers,and uprated discs and pads should always be the first mods on a performance car,combined with multiple strut barces and proper rubber(none of this nankang pfffft!),that will make for best handling and then its time for power

Dunno if you picked me up wrong there? I am agreeing with you that you all seem to get tarred with the same brush.
    I drive an 06 Honda Civic Saloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

IDGAF. Isn't there a separate forum for this 'I can't afford a house so look at my penis extension' stuff? Move to AH where the OP newbie will get some objective replies. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    IDGAF. Isn't there a separate forum for this 'I can't afford a house so look at my penis extension' stuff? Move to AH where the OP newbie will get some objective replies. :eek:

Yeah there seems to be 3/4 different threads pretty much the same....and I thought I was repeating myself alright ;)

whats IDGAF mean? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

IDGAF = I don't give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I Think most people's issue lies with the annoyance of the noise and to some extent the pathetic appearance, although I've gotten some great LOL moments from modified cars so I cant complain!

It makes no difference weather you claim to be an "enthusiast" or not to most people, and in any case its a subjective opinion, not fact.

The people judging you see no distinction from their POV between a noisy, "modded" 206 or Corsa and a Skyline, 540i, Altezza or whatever they all look silly and make too much noise in their opinon.

If one goes about attracting attention, (lets be honest, thats what its about), beit visually or aurally then be willing to accept that all attention is not neccacarily good :)

indough,you obviously have some issues,if you dont give a **** dont reply to the thread,i dont wanna hear your random meaningless dribble:rolleyes:

i aint talking about ****ty 206's,bmw's,saxos etc etc here lads and lassies,im talking about proper cars....i too am sick of seeing micras,corsas,4door sheds :D

just like to point out that i havent done any mod in the past that didnt benefit the car(my rr figures prove this;) ) power figures that lots on here only dream about,im only 21:p ....:)

but yet still get looked at as a boy racer and its getting abit old now...yes some boy racers are a danger on the road BUT in my view oap's and 95% of women drivers are worse...pulling out without looking/indicating,driving at 25mph in a 60 zone,like WTF??

boy racers with big exhausts are those looking for attention but those who do it right and spend ££££££ on proper engine/suspension mods are not looking for attention(if we were we'd be driving bangers with huge exhausts)

• Advertisement

jdmR, it was me who said IDGAF, indough was only giving its meaning to another poster who asked.

Basically, very few people on this forum GAF about modified cars. There is a separate forum for people like you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=603 where you can preach to the converted.

If you want to start a wide debate on this issue, post in After Hours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Keep the revs up!

Not your ornery onager

i was linked to a thread on this site through a car forum and seen the replys showed that 99% of replies didnt have a clue what they were on about(one reply was from a lad claiming to get 20bhp from a 1.4 civic with filter/exhaust lmao....maybe 1bhp if he was lucky) also from the other replys were from people mixing enthusiasts with the likes of boy racers...which annoyed me:confused: some people are very very narrow minded and id say a part of it is jealousy that they never had a proper performance car in their life...just my 2c

You were linked to a thread (one of hundreds of thousands) on one of the 300+ fora on this site. The forum in which you started your thread is the Motors forum, under the Motors category. Mouse over the lists on the top of the page to see all the different fora under various categories. Whereyou see a right arrow > after a name on the drop down list, it indicates a sub-category. Mouse over this to see the fora in that sub-category.

Try raising your topic in either of the two fora I linked in my previous post above.

Not many posters here (i.e. this particular forum) care to discuss modded cars, or boy racers (except to slag them off). We're a boring lot really. We talk about cars, problems, driving, buying/selling, servicing, road issues in general.

Again, IDGAF.:p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

jdmR wrote:

You've been very slow to quantify as to what exactly is a "proper car".

And also - your question answers itself, why give out about noisy exhausts? Because they're noisy. I don't give a crap if it's on a corsa or an evo, if it's not a stock exhaust it's pretty pathetic.
    Whatsmore, even if it is a stock exhaust, if it's loud enough to complain about I don't care if it's on an enzo. It's still a pain in the arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

My sister freely admits she cannot tell the difference between a Mitsubishi Evo and a tarted up Civic. Just like I can't tell the difference between a genuine prada handbag and a cheap knock off from china!

So you can't really blame people!

maidhc wrote:
    I can't tell the difference between a genuine prada handbag and a cheap knock off from china!
    Easy to tell the difference - listen to the exhaust note when the owners fart. The genuine Prada bag owner emits a ladylike 'pfffft', while the bootleg owner really lets rip, especially when bending down to pick up her chips.

Not your ornery onager

LIGHTNING wrote:
    They way I look at it, a car enthusiast is somebody who owns something like a classic Ferrari, Porsche, Aston or something that is considered a decent car. A genuine car enthusiast wouldn't put awful speeds stripes on a Volvo P1800 and knows what does and doesn't look good on a car.

A person who owns a 1.2 Punto with turbo sticker on the boot is just a twat. I enjoy hearing the sound of a nice 70`s muscle car fly by. However the sound of a 106 wheezing its way past on the other hand is a different matter. I`m guessing these twats are the same guys you see wearing bright green shirts in a nightclub that everybody mutters tosser as he walks by.
    exactly agree there,apart from ''car enthusiasts'' dont just own ferrari's etc etc because who do you know hat drives a ferarri??most likely an old business man with lots of money,they drive far more cars than astons etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

esel wrote:
    jdmR, it was me who said IDGAF, indough was only giving its meaning to another poster who asked.

Basically, very few people on this forum GAF about modified cars. There is a separate forum for people like you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=603 where you can preach to the converted.

If you want to start a wide debate on this issue, post in After Hours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Keep the revs up!
    What about the countles threads about speed cameras, which 5 series, ive got x amount to spend, like the op said "you obviously have some issues,if you dont give a **** dont reply to the thread,i dont wanna hear your random meaningless dribble"

If people on this section of the forum dont GAF (give a fcuk) then why is there so many threads aabout it? leave the mods to their job esel they seem to be doing a great one.

Mean while back on topic..........

projectgtr, did you read all of page 1?? :confused: If not, go check it. I think you'll find that I have been more constructive than you on this thread.

I can accept a rap on the knuckles from one of the mods (when appropriate, which i don't think applies here), but not from a wet-behind-the-ears newbie.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    I can accept a rap on the knuckles from one of the mods (when appropriate, which i don't think applies here), but not from a wet-behind-the-ears newbie.
    yes im a newbie(reason being that i actually have a life,not a keyboard hero like yourself judging by your post count....you should get out more...there is a real world out there beyond forums...its a sad existence imo...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I have to say.. for a car forum most of the posters on here are a very boring lot. Some of you should read back over your posts.. you're really showing your age there!

Mods to a car(no matter what car) can be good as long as they're done tastefully. Which in most cases over here, they're not! I hate seeing those horribly kitted out cars going around but at the same time I have done quite a few mods to my own car( all retrofitted oem parts from the sports version). Now thats a modification but transformed the car and it looks great. But judging by you're posts on here I guess thats pathetic and I'm a twat.

Generally speaking a motor forum is for car enthusiasts or people looking for help from car enthusiasts, but this forum seems to be full of people bragging about their new TT or their x5 as stated above, or people who drive dull and bog standard cars that have nothing but negative views on everything.

I really believe its each to their own on something like this but you just have to laugh at some of the cars you see people driving and wonder do they have no shame. Why can't a 1.4 look good? Do we all have to be driving 3ltrs for us to have a car worthy of looking after? This would be a very boring dull world if we all lived like some of the posters on this thread.

And just to remind all those negative people, a bmw M series is a modified car. An AMG is a modified car etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I don't think anyone could have said it better than you did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Oops! I meant to link to the thread rather than the post!

Now fixed, but thanks :)

jdmR wrote:
    yes im a newbie(reason being that i actually have a life,not a keyboard hero like yourself judging by your post count....you should get out more...there is a real world out there beyond forums...its a sad existence imo...)
    Jebus mate, pay attention. First you go off at indough, who only explained what IDGAF stands for; now you go off at me because you think I referred to you as a wet-behind-the-ears newbie. I was talking to projectgtr, not you. You are not yet a wet behind the ears newbie - you're still playing in your newbie bath. I suggest you call yore ma to lift you out - the water's getting cold and you don't want to catch a chill.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

IMHO I'd give the kid who mods the engine and fits the sports pipes and boosting the bhp more respect rather than the kid who tints the window, puts on the black lights underneath, a set of alloys worth more than the car.

How he/she treats that car is another story. There's a couple of kids in my wife's job, they're are your typical no not typical baseballed capped kids (girls) who can tell you the BHP of a 2003 civic type R, then they mod em, I think they're cool me as an oul codger couldn't be arsed anymore, but these kids went out and sold the skyline GT and bought a couple of civic type R, fair play, they're white, look ****e but got a red badge nuff said, wouldn't be racing them at the lights.

esel wrote:
    Jebus mate, pay attention. First you go off at indough, who only explained what IDGAF stands for; now you go off at me because you think I referred to you as a wet-behind-the-ears newbie. I was talking to projectgtr, not you. You are not yet a wet behind the ears newbie - you're still playing in your newbie bath. I suggest you call yore ma to lift you out - the water's getting cold and you don't want to catch a chill.
    ahh,you need to get out more me thinks,2k+ posts??do you no have a girlfriend:confused: id expect with that count your still living with ''yore ma...''

if you ''dgaf'' as you sadly put it...can i ask why you keep checking and replying in this post??i suspect im right...a sad life..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

su_dios wrote:
    I have to say.. for a car forum most of the posters on here are a very boring lot. Some of you should read back over your posts.. you're really showing your age there!

Mods to a car(no matter what car) can be good as long as they're done tastefully. Which in most cases over here, they're not! I hate seeing those horribly kitted out cars going around but at the same time I have done quite a few mods to my own car( all retrofitted oem parts from the sports version). Now thats a modification but transformed the car and it looks great. But judging by you're posts on here I guess thats pathetic and I'm a twat.

Generally speaking a motor forum is for car enthusiasts or people looking for help from car enthusiasts, but this forum seems to be full of people bragging about their new TT or their x5 as stated above, or people who drive dull and bog standard cars that have nothing but negative views on everything.

I really believe its each to their own on something like this but you just have to laugh at some of the cars you see people driving and wonder do they have no shame. Why can't a 1.4 look good? Do we all have to be driving 3ltrs for us to have a car worthy of looking after? This would be a very boring dull world if we all lived like some of the posters on this thread.

And just to remind all those negative people, a bmw M series is a modified car. An AMG is a modified car etc.

Well said si_dois, nothing more i could really ad to this

As for essel, just because i dont reply to every post i read does not make me a newb, like jdmR said get out live a little, looks like you may be spending a little too much time on boards.

Advertisement