Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Alex Ferguson attacked, suffers "minor injuries"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2808406,00.html
    MAN JAILED FOR PUNCHING FERGUSON
    Posted 18/10/07 16:07

A drunken thug who punched Sir Alex Ferguson in the groin has been jailed for 15 months.

Homeless Kevin Reynolds, branded by the judge a "significant risk to the public", spotted the Manchester United manager outside a train station, staggered towards him and delivered a single blow.

His "stunned" victim promptly doubled up in agony and, as he fought for breath, managed to gasp "What the hell are you doing?".

The 44-year-old beggar - whose criminal record boasts a total of 146 convictions including many for violence, during nearly a quarter of a century of drink-driven offending - promptly insisted: "I'm sorry Fergie, I didn't realise it was you."

But almost immediately afterwards he held out his arms and started shouting: "Fergie, Fergie, shut your mouth."

Peter Zinner, prosecuting, told London's Southwark Crown Court: "Your honour may know it is a chant that is used by football supporters in Scotland, or is something heard at matches involving Manchester United when Sir Alex gets excited."

The barrister said the club manager was left standing there in both considerable pain and "somewhat bemused amazement".

Sir Alex later told police in an impact statement: "He really gave me a whack. At the time my natural instinct was to react and defend myself. However, I decided against it as I did not know if he was carrying any weapon and might come at me again."

He said that fortunately he suffered only "bruising and soreness" and there had been no "lasting effects".

"This is not something I expect to happen to me when I am going about my daily business and it completely stunned me," he added.

Bit harsh really. I'd have been pi*sin myself if I saw Fergie doubled over with some bum pointing and jeering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Cantona should have got a medal he was the first to "kick" racism out of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bit harsh really. I'd have been pi*sin myself if I saw Fergie doubled over with some bum pointing and jeering.
    It is a bit harsh, but your attitude stinks to be honest. You'd laugh if you saw someone getting attacked for no reason? Nice one.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2808406,00.html

It doesnt take much when u have 146 priors................ so no it wasnt harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Tauren wrote: »
    It is a bit harsh, but your attitude stinks to be honest. You'd laugh if you saw someone getting attacked for no reason? Nice one.

It wouldn't be without reason - AF is much loved and much hated, if you're in the hate camp then there's going to be a certain amount of enjoyment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

p.pete wrote: »
    It wouldn't be without reason - AF is much loved and much hated, if you're in the hate camp then there's going to be a certain amount of enjoyment ;)
    for me to laugh i would have to seriously hate the guy, such as George Bush, someone who is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands.

Laugh at someone getting attacked based on football tribalism is a terrible attitude to have. I have no love for Wenger, but if i saw him being physically attacked for no reason by some yob on the street my first reaction would not be to piss myself laughing like our City supporting friend here. Hell, I wouldn't even laugh if i saw Staunton being attacked in the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wonder because he is a Sire is there a special law that extends the sentance? Either way, it's assault, with priors, 15 months is fair enough

for me to laugh i would have to seriously hate the guy, such as George Bush, someone who is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands.

Laugh at someone getting attacked based on football tribalism is a terrible attitude to have. I have no love for Wenger, but if i saw him being physically attacked for no reason by some yob on the street my first reaction would not be to piss myself laughing like our City supporting friend here. Hell, I wouldn't even laugh if i saw Staunton being attacked in the street.

I have to +1 this. Its one thing to hate a team cos theyre your own teams biggest rivals but the people who take it to the point of enjoying watching one of those people being physically assaulted even if it were only a kick in the shins is out of line. As I said earlier in this thread back when it happened, take the celebrity out of this and you have a 65 year old man being physically assaulted by a 41 year old with priors for assault? Would u condone it if someone kicked your Dad in the shins? My gran got assaulted for her pension a few years back, she was 78 when it happened and well, I dont know of anyone who was laughing at that when it happened. And she wasnt ok about it for a long time after, so its not just a few bruises to heal either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hell, I wouldn't even laugh if i saw Staunton being attacked in the street.

Neither would I, I would either be joining in or furious that somebody got there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd imagine the harsh sentence is because he had over 100 priors and because he loafed a policeman, more than wat he did to Ferguson.

Neither would I, I would either be joining in or furious that somebody got there before me.

Why? Are u telling me that if u were working some low grader job and someone was dumb enough to offer u a highly paid position in the same field but at a much higher level that u probably werent wualified for that u wouldnt give it a go??? That deserves physical assault noawdays yeah?

Im assumin and hopin u were jokin but Ive had enough conversations with "football fans", who are more into hatred then the sport itself, to know that theres a chance u arent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Sentence seems very harsh. Making jokes about an old man being attacked is sick though.

DSB wrote: »
    Sentence seems very harsh. Making jokes about an old man being attacked is sick though.

Again, 146 prior offences including assault = high probability that he would assault someone else
    therefore sentence is fair. The legal system becomes less and less lenient the more u keep breakin the law and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

146??????????????????????????? Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DSB wrote: »
    Tauren wrote:

Oh for God's sake lighten up. Sir Fergie got a slap in the balls from a bum, that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ah, Britain, home of the 147 strikes and you get a harsh sentence law. :)

astrofool wrote: »
    Ah, Britain, home of the 147 strikes and you get a harsh sentence law. :)

Better than Californias 3 strike rule. Id have to check this to confirm it but as far as I know if u get caught urinating in public there 3 times u can be registered on the sex offenders list.... if anyone can confirm or deny the second part be my guest but I know that 3 strikes for even minor crimes can bring some serious jail time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Im assumin and hopin u were jokin but Ive had enough conversations with "football fans", who are more into hatred then the sport itself, to know that theres a chance u arent.

I guess you'll never know.

I guess you'll never know.

Ill be losing sleep about it for years to come.........:rolleyes:

Advertisement