Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Up RAID

Options
  • 12-09-2007 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I understand there might be a boundry issue considering this is kind of a notebook issue, but I think this is a more appropriate place.

I recently ordered a Dell Inspiron 1720. I'll go through the specs just 'cause I'm a moderately proud owner. Intel t7700 proc (Dual core, 2.4 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2 cache) which seems to be the best on the market in the notebook world (yet to see the XE's with the 2.6+ GHz clock anywhere), 4 GB (DDR2 PC2 5300) RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600 GT (256 MB) gfx card with a 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) display.

The problem I have, is that before I ordered it I was told that it would support RAID. After I got it, I asked them how I'd set it up (never used RAID before) and they told me that only the 1721 supports RAID. When I questioned as to why, I was told that the BIOS won't accept it because of the motherboard. I really don't understand this because I'm fairly certain it uses Intel's GM 965 Express chipset which is supposed to support RAID.

I have two identical drives, but I don't want JBoD. I know I could do software RAID through the OS or whatever, but I'm looking for performance so my goal is a striped RAID. I'm looking for basically any assistance. Like, how can I tell if my mobo will do RAID? I've already checked the BIOS and there's no mention of RAID. Suppose it doesn't, we know that the 1721 will and it has (I think) the same caddy, so is there anyway I can stick a RAID controller in there? At that, where would I get a RAID controller and how would I know it'll work with my system?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sorry..but no luck with getting raid onto this notebook.
    If you haven't ordered it long I'd say return it and get a 1721 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you don't want to return it for the RAID model the only thing I can think of is that you either purchase one of the best 2.5 HD's on the market and stick that in it or setup a RAID array externally through am expresscard SATA RAID controller.

Advertisement