Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutual holiday help?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I just had a long, interesting ramble through this board. I'm a putative pet owner, who is waiting for enough time and space to open up in my life to properly care for a cat or dog. One thing which really puts me off is how to make sure the animal is properly looked after when I'm away.

One option which strikes me is to join a small circle of local cat/dog/critter owners who have similar concerns but who don't want to use kennels or catteries. A group of say five or six responsible owners would most probably be able to look after an absent owner's pet while they were away.

Has anyone on this site done anything similar? Is this site a place where people could link up to look after each other's pets? I am really asking in a trouble-shooting way: I can see problems in trusting your pet and housekeys to a person you've met online, but maybe there are ways around this problem? What guidelines would anyone suggest? Has anyone got a group like this going, if so, any guidance?

Thanks,

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its a good idea in theory. However there is actually only one person I know whom I really trust to mind my dogs. I know lots of other dog owners but I always have some complaint or other and wouldnt leave the dogs with them for more than a night or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I agree, its a nice idea in theory. But problems might arise if one of your dogs was injured by another's for example - also you will probably find that most dog owners wouldn't have the space for another dog, else they probably would have gotten more for themselves!

There's also no way you could go to work and leave your dogs at home with a strange dog for 8 hours, there'd be war! He wouldn't be used to the routine etc, and the 'original' dogs might get territorial.

I really think a cattery/kennel is the way to go. They're professional, know every breed and their traits, and have the facilities required to keep your dog safe and clean.

Advertisement