Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a US Visa when you have a company to sponsor?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I came to the US in may on a J1 visa after 4 (laboured) years in college. For me it was a chill thing to do after final year. However since i have come out i have come to really like where i am living best of all i have got a job in my degree area (engineering). Bad thing is my visa runs up at the end of this month! The company has spoke about sponsoring me and are keen on keeping me but they have never done it before and are pretty clueless on how to proceed.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has any idea on how to set up a sponsored working visa or how to go about it? What type of visa should i be persuing etc...

All your advice is appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I came over here on a L-1 Visa which is intracompany transfer as I worked with the company in Ireland. Best bet would be the H-1 visa and have your company contact an immigration attorney. See the USCIS website:
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=229c6138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=91919c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

FatherTed wrote:
    I came over here on a L-1 Visa which is intracompany transfer as I worked with the company in Ireland. Best bet would be the H-1 visa and have your company contact an immigration attorney. See the USCIS website:
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=229c6138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=91919c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Problem is that all the H1's are gone for this year... They are given out from april to october. There is a quota of 65000 which are pretty much first come first served.. I was looking into J1 trainee programme. L1 as i am aware you must be in the company for more than a year, which i have not been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

The company I now work for sponsored me a greencard since all the H1B's were gone last year. It took about 6 months for the whole process but your company will need a good immigration attorney, and total fees including attorney could top $6000. The difference is I have two advanced degrees so I didn't have to wait but since you only have a bachelors degree it could take up to 3 years to get your greencard. j1 trainee programme seems like the only feasible avenue you can look at for the time being. One thing you should keep in mind (this is very important), sometimes j1 visa's have restrictions, the important restriction is called the two year rule. If this rule applies to your j1 visa it means you can't apply for greencard, h1b, another j1, f, e, any visa, within the two years after the j1 visa expires. It's a ballz if you want to stay in the US.

I honestly don't know what to say other than how important is it for you to work for this company, and since you are under 26 you'll have to submit forms for being drafted or something like that!

Advertisement