Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to move to US

Options
  • 12-09-2007 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi,

was wondering if anyone could help me.im currently a student but will be starting a job as a trainee accountant soon enough.I will be working in a small practice.i will be studying for ACCA exams.When i fully qualify it is my dream to live in the USA(thinking of florida).

does anyone know if its hard getting a job as an accountant in USA?
    is the money any good?
    is there anywhere to look for firms who are wiling to take on people from abroad?

any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It's very hard - you first have to find a company even willing to sponsor a foreign applicant, and then they in turn have to prove conclusively to the USCIS/DHS that you are filling a role that no one else in the United States can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

I agree it's hard. But I think that best avenue you could try to get over to the US is to go looking for accountancy companies that would sponsor you a J1 training visa, I think this only lasts for one year, but depending on restrictions on this visa you mightn't be able to apply for any other types of visa for 2 years after the j1 training visa expires.
    As a trainee you probable won't earn alot, and after you convert your dollars into euro you certainly won't be earning alot.

I think it is good to get work experience aboard while young, you should have no problem getting a work visa for Australia, but to he honest it'll be very difficult to get a visa for the US unless you have a post graduate degree.

But hey Australia is fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

thanks very much for the replies.

i think i might eventually try and look a job here that might give me a chance to work in the US for a while with a partner company or something like that. and maybe then theres a chance that the temporary visa could be made permanent?

or i could chance applying for a green card but im presuming its very hard to get one?

any help appreciated

Advertisement