Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up my own religion

Options
  • 12-09-2007 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

After having a conversation with someone about the Church of the SubGenius I decided that I should look into making my own religion, mostly for the craic.

But how do you go about registering a new religion? Do you need more than one person to do so? Do you need income/expenses pertaining to your new religion?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't think where else to put it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah has your indulgance in frop lead you to believe you have enough slack to start your own schism in accordance to Bob's wishes or are you looking do something completely different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Actually I'd like to make my own religion based on my spiritual beliefs so it would be relatively serious. I'd just like to have my own religion, I'm going to make my own political party in the future also. It doesn't matter if nobody joins it, I want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Funnily enough Charles Talleyrand, a former Bishop and French statesman, was once asked how someone could set up a new religion. He replied, "Surely, it cannot be so difficult as you think. . . . The matter is simple: you have only yourself to get crucified, or anyhow put to death, and then at your own time rise from the dead, and you will have no difficulty."

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmm, maybe this is more difficult than I thought..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Check what is required legally where you want to set up your relgion and apply for tax breaks.

You will need a hookto get people in and to answer the big questions:

Why are we here ?
    what happens when we die ?
    What is the code of conduct ?
    Why do 'bad' things happens ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Gordon wrote:
    Hmm, maybe this is more difficult than I thought..

yip
    PDN wrote:
    ... . The matter is simple: you have only yourself to get crucified, or anyhow put to death, and then at your own time rise from the dead, and you will have no difficulty...

The carpenter will only be in the door 2 minutes to build your crucifix when he'll go " jaysus , have to go to BnQ for no-more-nails and the traffic is brutal ,i'd be quicker on a donkey " , then when you ring him he'll be below in Cork maternity with some slapper he knocked up after 10 pints around paddys day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Nonsense! Crucifixion will not be necessary. Try saying that an angel delivered a message on tablets of gold (No, iron or alluminium will not impress but clay tablets might appeal, if you feel that gold is a bit upmarket.) and that you subsequently lost them. No, wait. This is better. You rejected the awesome responsibility being placed upon you and cast (NOT "threw" and certainly not "****ed") them into the ocean (not "the sea" and certainly not "the naller". Words are very important and must have a sacred, spiritual ring to them.). You then decided reluctantly that you had to take up your divine mission. Reluctance is always a virtue in such matters.

You'll become a media celebrity overnight as there is a craving for nutters and easy answers. Then it will be down to you to express yourself in riddles. If you get stuck, say that you're expecting the angel back any day now.

It could become time consuming especially if you want an income from it. You may have to turn pro.

May the great white buffalo, the company of the unicorns and the spirits of the sphincture smile upon your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Gordon wrote:
    But how do you go about registering a new religion? Do you need more than one person to do so? Do you need income/expenses pertaining to your new religion?
    You live in the US, which is a republic and therefore doesn't register religions - you are free to practice what you want (same as here in Ireland).

If you want tax breaks you will want to look at IRS form 501(c)(3) to register as a non-profit organisation. This doesn't register the religion, but rather the religious organisation. Some organisations choose not to, mainly either because they don't want to have to prove that they aren't involved in political lobbying (either because the are so engaged, or because they simply don't consider it the state's business what they are doing - a lot of Wiccans think doing so breaks our traditions of secrecy) or because they don't believe in tax-breaks for religious organisations (e.g. the Church of Satan don't try to avoid paying tax because they are opposed to such tax breaks and argue that people that can't afford them deserve to go bankrupt and disappear).

Licensing for marriage depends on the state - there is no federal law - and varies considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 monkfish

You have a religion if you say you have one. No red tape necessary. One fun thing you can do in America is announce your parties in the religious column of your local newspaper. We successfully ran the "Church of the Stone Pharisee Algolagnic mass and acolyte initiation" and had it announced in our local Indiana newspaper ;)

Advertisement