Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Broadband & GMail?

• 12-09-2007 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I recently got the O2 broadband USB modem and it has been working relatively well (sometimes its fast, sometimes its slow, but that's what I was expecting).

However, about a week ago, all access to gmail (and google talk) just stopped :(. My browser hangs for ages before telling me that it can't connect. I'm not having connectivity problems with any other websites except gmail. I disabled my firewall, and tried connecting on a few different computers with different browsers, but no joy.

I rang customer support and they said they hadn't heard of the problem before. Is anyone else out there experiencing the same trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darkice

I'm having the same problem with all the google sites, running very slowly. Everything else is very fast so its not a problem with reception etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

having problems with anything google associated, reported it to o2 tech support this morning, they knew there was a problem with gmail, but seemed to think that was a temporary thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fast74

Hi,
    just registering that I'm having the same problems, haven't called o2 yet but recon I will now. noticed the problem about 4 days ago

Shane

still cant connect to anything google realated, other wise relativly happy with the service, could be faster, still only getting 0.5 to 0.6 mbps (10 to 20 x faster than what i got with 3 (three)) no mater what time of day (or night) i use, not a heavy downloader, so not to bad, they did advice was outages on local mast so service was switching between other near by ones, expected to improve after few days, and hopefully get some where nearer 2mb, told me to call back if didn't, after all i'm reading on these boards will be pushing my inquiry on the google issue though when i do call back, have had service for 6 out of my 14 day return so will see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

yeah I can't login to gmail and it has to be a problem on O2's side.

Have managed it once or twice through a proxy site and choosing html basic option, but now I can't even do that.

Very annoying.

Will have to get onto O2 about it as well.

• Advertisement

really must be some sort of problem, trying to download google earth, trying half an hour, have got from entering google earth on the search engine, after 10 minutes the google earth home page appeared, clicked on the download option, another 10 minutes the next screen appeared, clicked on the agree T&C about 5 to 10 minutes ago, nothing happening,

trying to open gmail on other tab, entered gmail into the address bar 15 minutes ago, nothing happening

got this and couple other sites opened, and they are all operating normally, no waiting, refreshing pages straight away

can live without the google serch engine, can check gmail in work canteen, but some of the google products are interesting and handy to have, so please o2, please sort out this proplem, its not my computer, works the odd time i use dial up, and worked during my brief trial with three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Knud

Me too, same problem, no google at all!
    Girlfriend is also having problems with Hotmail, facebook.
    Everthing else seems to work.

I need to do stuff on Google for work, so at the moment I'm remoting desktopping to a computer back home in Australia and going to google stuff on the remote computer!!!! thats connecting to google.ie, from australia....

Has anyone heard from O2 about how to get around this problem? or when it's going to be fixed? I'm off to Oktoberfest for the next week so I won't care about anything except drinking Beer... :) until I get back, hope it's fixed by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Knud

I supose anyone else on O2 having the same problem won't be able to answer me until the problem is fixed because www.boards.ie seems also to be on the list of sites I can't access. I posted this remotly from Aus too. Didn't realise.

just been speaking to o2 on this, it is is something that they are aware of, they belive the speed issues and accessing google are realated, its something they are working on as a matter of urgenecy, could not give me a difinate time when would be resloved, belives it could be a problem with thier own firewalls,

as said earlier, can live without google, for now, and for what i use at moment the spped is fine, have had no problems listening to radio, general surfing, browsing, etc, its 10 to 20 tmes faster than what i've been used to before,

compared to 3, ok, so its more expenive, but way faster service, and and a better customer service experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 johnd

FYI folks experiencing O2 Broadband problems with google and other sites, may wish to see this post for a workaround to the Google issues posted by Corkie [ :cool: ]

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055151052&goto=newpost

PS. This issue has been going on for a week now, and as well as google I can't access my POP3 mail consistently either ... it's driving me nuts !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Everything is working for me now. They seem to have it fixed! Well done O2!:D

woohoo, well done o2, its working, its actully working, just checked my emails, just finsihed downloading google earth, fingers crossed it stays that why, thanks for the update whats the hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

same here it seems to be fixed, which is handy as I had some photos sent through to my Gmail account.

well done O2 - a welcome example of good customer service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Now, if only 3 Ireland would do a bit of head-hunting of O2 tech staff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dwdave

have had this a year now and it is not great. I placed a video on you tube. showing how slow it is. They told me to put it near the window lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6LUJhdEQQE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

dwdave wrote: »
    have had this a year now and it is not great. I placed a video on you tube. showing how slow it is. They told me to put it near the window lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6LUJhdEQQE

Mine's outside actually, connected to dovado router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Old threads should stay sleeping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement